News:

If it quacks like a sociopath, but also ponders its own sociopathy, it's probably just an asshole.

Main Menu

BOW Fuckers, TO YOUR BULLSHIT LOBBYISTS

Started by Jenne, August 26, 2009, 05:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenne

So yet AGAIN, when CA lawmakers have the chance to make some headway in this clusterfuck of a prison system debacle, they knuckle to their political backers, the fucking lobbyists.  What's sad is they do have Joe Public thinking that they actually have our best interests (aka "security") at heart while they "debate" this.  Har har har.  And yeah, like the prison guard lobby has NOTHING to do with this whatsofucking ever. /sarcasm, drip drip

http://www.californiaprogressreport.com/2009/08/assembly_postpo.html

QuoteThe plan, which is a holdover from the recent budget agreement, seeks to reduce the state's Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation budget by $1.2 billion dollars over the next 10 months by reducing the state's inmate population, by 27,300.

California's inmate population has steadily expanded under California's "three strikes" law, increasing the cost of incarceration to the state.

The average yearly cost to the state to house an inmate is more than $31,000. The average annual cost to manage a parolee is more than $3,400, according to the CDCR Budget.

According to Bass spokeswoman Shannon Murphy, the Speaker spent Monday meeting with Steinberg, legislators and law enforcement interest groups that currently oppose the cost-cutting plan.

Murphy said today's postponement was necessary in order to rewrite the language of the bill. "We're working on the language right now," Murphy told California Progress Report. Murphy confirmed the legislation is not dead, stating the Assembly "will absolutely" vote on the legislation before the end of session.

Murphy would not confirm whether or not the Speaker believed Monday she had the votes needed to pass the legislation.

The plan requires 41 votes to pass. Without Republican support, Bass will need to garner 41 of the Assembly's 49 Democrats.

It has been widely reported that the political aspirations of 11 current Democratic Assembly members for higher office made it impossible for Bass to find the votes needed to pass the Senate plan.

emphasis at the end there mine

The Good Reverend Roger

Wackenhutt is gonna get theirs, kiddo.   :sad:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Jenne