News:

PD.com: The most patriotic board in America - jointly run by an Australian, an Irishman, a filthy Dutchman, a Canadian and some guy from the West Indies.

Main Menu

Roger's Got a Brand New Bag

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, August 31, 2009, 03:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Epimetheus

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 09, 2009, 03:02:04 AM

I didn't say they were benevolent.  I said they worked.

Notice the subtle, but very real, difference.

What's your definition of "to work" as applied to these political philosophies?
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Payne

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 09, 2009, 03:04:05 AM
Quote from: Payne on September 09, 2009, 02:04:34 AM
Quote from: Dimo1138 on September 09, 2009, 01:46:13 AM
I never said I was an anarchist. Thanks in advance.  :)

Oh really?

Quote from: Dimo1138 on August 04, 2009, 11:03:00 PM
http://www.laserpointersafety.com/laser-hazards_aircraft/laser-hazards_aircraft.html

Dammit. Why do people keep calling me a commie? I don't have the proper belief system to support communism. I'm a frikkin' ANARCHIST, damnit. 

No, thank YOU.

And THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is how it's done
downtown.

WE DO THIS SHIT FOR SCIENCE

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Epimetheus on September 09, 2009, 03:16:12 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 09, 2009, 03:02:04 AM

I didn't say they were benevolent.  I said they worked.

Notice the subtle, but very real, difference.

What's your definition of "to work" as applied to these political philosophies?

Does it FUNCTION?

For example, communism does NOT function, as evidenced by the fall of the Soviet Union, the whoring of China, etc.

Capitalism DOES work, but only benefits 2% of the population.

Democracy works, as evidenced by ancient Athens, but served only demagogues.  

The republic functions, but serves only the wealthy.

Constitutional monarchies work, but serve only the British tabloids.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Epimetheus

Ok...but then what is your definition of "function" as applied to those philosophies?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Epimetheus on September 09, 2009, 04:00:43 AM
Ok...but then what is your definition of "function" as applied to those philosophies?

Can the government back up its claims/threats/promises?

That is it.  That's all there is to it.  You'll notice there is very little difference between a functional government and a functional mafia family.  That's not a coincidence.  Just ask Smedley Butler, the greatest (IMO) of the Discordian saints.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Epimetheus

I disagree with you, but I'm having trouble phrasing my disagreement. Like I said, I suck at political debate.  :sad:
Are you one for agreeing to disagree? (um, right after I typed this, a guy on the TV said "We'll just have to agree to disagree."  :tinfoilhat:)

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Epimetheus on September 09, 2009, 04:25:08 AM
I disagree with you, but I'm having trouble phrasing my disagreement. Like I said, I suck at political debate.  :sad:
Are you one for agreeing to disagree? (um, right after I typed this, a guy on the TV said "We'll just have to agree to disagree."  :tinfoilhat:)

Fuck no.

State your case, hippie.

Epimetheus

Alright, I want to see all the "claims" you think each of those made (most interested in communism and capitalism).

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Epimetheus on September 09, 2009, 04:42:48 AM
Alright, I want to see all the "claims" you think each of those made (most interested in communism and capitalism).

Communism isn't included, as it failed.

Capitalism makes threats, not claims.  It was an either/or/and thing.

Epimetheus

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 09, 2009, 05:00:52 AM
Quote from: Epimetheus on September 09, 2009, 04:42:48 AM

Communism isn't included, as it failed.

Capitalism makes threats, not claims.  It was an either/or/and thing.

The fact that communism failed to function means, according to your definition, that it failed to deliver on its claims/threats/promises. So what were those?

Fine, what are/were capitalism's threats?

Captain Utopia

Say you're in prison and you want to lead a gang.

You claim the northeast corner of the recreation ground as your turf. If you don't back up that claim, you cease to function as a gang leader.

You threaten the other gangs not to recruit/mess with your members. If they do, and you do nothing, then you cease to function as a gang leader.

You promise Bubba that in return for his body-guarding, he can have his pick of the new inmates -- if you can't deliver on that promise then you cease to function..

At least, that's the way I personally interpreted it.

Epimetheus

If you're talking to me, fictionpuss, I understand what "back up its claims" means.  :|

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Epimetheus on September 09, 2009, 05:30:14 AM
If you're talking to me, fictionpuss, I understand what "back up its claims" means.  :|
Ah, I just don't understand the confusion - you seem to be leading up to something and I'm impatient to see what it is :-)

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Epimetheus on September 09, 2009, 05:08:20 AM

The fact that communism failed to function means, according to your definition, that it failed to deliver on its claims/threats/promises. So what were those?

Fine, what are/were capitalism's threats?

1.  Communism promised equality, a moneyless and classless society, etc.  They failed.  They tried to rely on threats, and they did so for about 70 years.  Then the threats stopped working, and the system stopped functioning.

2.  Do what you're told, stay in line, or live under a bridge.  Also, we plan to use your children to enforce our market share in 3rd world nations.  Deal.

Dimocritus

Ok, let me explain something to you guys about a couple of things I would like to call "sarcasm" and "Jocularity," as I can see where they may be difficult to detect, by the unskilled eye, in text. I'd hate to have to point this out to you guys, but alas, it seems I must.

QuoteDammit. Why do people keep calling me a commie? I don't have the proper belief system to support communism. I'm a frikkin' ANARCHIST, damnit.

This, my finicky friends, is what I like to call a "Joke," which contains borderline "Sarcasm" (It is true, however, that there is truth in jest, but the Joker cannot be strictly defined by the joke). I even beleive that in that same thread I referred to myself as a "Nothingarian," which doesn't even exist (and ironicly enough, it seems that a fictional faction holds closest to my own ideals). Whether or not it was implemented correctly or was successful, that is exactly what it was. I felt that the loose, casual demeanor that it was in the context of would lead you to that conclusion on your own, but that's okay, I can walk you through this, hand in hand.

QuoteI didn't say they were benevolent.  I said they worked.

We must clarify the definition, in regards to this discourse (as well as in regards to logic), of the word "Works" in order for either of us to continue to any beneficial end.

And, in closing, to the gentleman that said that I have a tendency for causing drama, I must disagree. You see, most (I must specify most) of my posts are on topic (many may be poor attempts at "Jocularity" [see above] but they are on topic, nonetheless). And furthermore, I never purposely attack anyone in a malicious, shit-flinging manner, which is more than could be said about a lot of the people here.

I can't beleive I had to explain this.
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"