News:

CAN'T A BROTHER GET A LITTLE PEACE?

Main Menu

Roger's Got a Brand New Bag

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, August 31, 2009, 03:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on September 09, 2009, 07:57:59 PM
The thing about being an anarchist, Dimo, is that you may try to cover it up by claiming to be a "Libertarian", but most Libertarians are simply weak Anarchists... they want enough of the trappings of government to protect them, but none to restrict them. The irony is that almost all of them would fail, and badly, under the very system they claim to advocate. For that matter, most of them are failures NOW, under a system that treats them far less harshly than a fully Libertarian system would. It's because they are weak, and  they believe that it is the Man who is holding  them down... blind to the fact that, actually, it is the Man who is propping them up.

For evidence, I offer the libertarians at MysticWicks:  One posts from his mother-in-law's basement, one from university (which his folks pay for), and the other is unemployable because he preaches to all of his coworkers til he gets fired.

Note that two of the three of them are on some form of government assistance.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Jenne

"keep your GUMMAMENT out of MAH welfare!"   :argh!:

:lulz:

Sounds like the angry townhall gems:  "keep your GUMMAMENT out of MAH Medicare!"   :argh!:

So lailtastic, it drips into a puddle on the floor.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jenne on September 09, 2009, 08:05:50 PM
"keep your GUMMAMENT out of MAH welfare!"   :argh!:

Sounds like the angry townhall gems:  "keep your GUMMAMENT out of MAH Medicare!"   :argh!:

So lailtastic, it drips into a puddle on the floor.

Angry Townhall is the best thing to happen since forever.  :lulz:

So, Dimo is a libertarian?  :lulz:

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Captain Utopia

I have to admit a long-term fascination with Libertarianism..  most systems of thought I can get my head around, even if I don't subscribe to them.. but all I can get from Libertarianism is "I want to do whatever I want, and not pay taxes, screw you"

I keep looking for more, but I can't find it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: fictionpuss on September 09, 2009, 08:11:38 PM
I have to admit a long-term fascination with Libertarianism..  most systems of thought I can get my head around, even if I don't subscribe to them.. but all I can get from Libertarianism is "I want to do whatever I want, and not pay taxes, screw you"

You must have missed "We should sell off the highway system and the national parklands".

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It's not there... really. Libertarianism is very childish, and largely composed of wishful thinking.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on September 09, 2009, 08:26:47 PM

It's not there... really. Libertarianism is very childish, and largely composed of wishful thinking.

Yeah, it's the whole Ron Paul "The bills have to be paid?  What?" frame of mind.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Or the "the best interests of the individual = the best interests for society, therefore letting people do whatever they want will lead to a perfect society"

which is PATENTLY FALSE and pretty much the same as believing in fairy tales. First of all, you have to believe that people always act in their own best interest.  :|
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on September 09, 2009, 08:53:00 PM
Or the "the best interests of the individual = the best interests for society, therefore letting people do whatever they want will lead to a perfect society"

which is PATENTLY FALSE and pretty much the same as believing in fairy tales. First of all, you have to believe that people always act in their own best interest.  :|

And those of us that understand Finagle know better.

Dimocritus

Quote from: Nigel on September 09, 2009, 07:57:59 PM
The thing about being an anarchist, Dimo, is that you may try to cover it up by claiming to be a "Libertarian",

Didn't we just do this? Now, I know for a fact I've never claimed to be a libertarian. You guys...
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

Dimocritus

And with all due respect, the topic was derailed here.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 08, 2009, 09:47:40 PM
Quote from: Dimo1138 on September 08, 2009, 09:33:30 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 08, 2009, 09:26:42 PM
And this is nowhere near as bad as the Great Depression.

Yet.

I for one would be much more comfortable if everything from eating food to driving a car didn't revolve around little pieces of paper, green or otherwise.

Okay, I'm open to alternate suggestions.  Shoot.

Quote from: Dimo1138 on September 08, 2009, 09:33:30 PM
If the rights defined in the constitution are inalienable and god-given, do I really need a constitution to grant me them? Bah, burn it all. 

Har!  Either the constitution allows the oligarchy we have now, or it is powerless to stop it.  Either way, it's garbage.

Payne

Dimebag: You have claimed to be whatever WE have said you have claimed to be now. Hush and let the big kids talk now.

Dimocritus

Payne, your name is suitable to the highest degree.  

As in: you are a payne in my ass.

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Nigel on September 09, 2009, 08:53:00 PM

which is PATENTLY FALSE and pretty much the same as believing in fairy tales. First of all, you have to believe that people always act in their own best interest.  :|

Alan Greenspan:
"Those of us who have looked to the self-interest of lending institutions to protect shareholder's equity (myself especially) are in a state of shocked disbelief."

I mean. Really? I mean, if the choice is between racking up a mighty bonus on risky schemes which aren't likely to fail before the payout at which point you can jump ship or otherwise ride it out.. and "doing the right thing" - what do we expect these hyper-charged titans of capitalism to do? Why should they care for the shareholders/dupes? Why should they care about the greater economy?

You breed sharks for aggression and greed and express surprise when they bite off your arm?

See, up until that point I always believed in intelligent hypocrites.. I never for a second thought that they believed their own bullshit.

Hypocrites are waaay less scary.

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Dimo1138 on September 09, 2009, 09:09:01 PM
Payne, your name is suitable to the highest degree.  

As in: you are a payne in my ass.
hahaha payne, you've been served.. gonna have to change yo name now, muthafukka. i told u i wuz hardcore

:facepalm: