News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "I've always, always regarded the Discordians as being people who chose to be Discordians because they can't be arsed to actually do any work to develop a relationship with a specific deity, they were too wishy-washy to choose just one path, and they just want to be a mishmash of everything and not have to work at learning about rituals or traditions or any such thing as that."

Main Menu

NEW PD CONTEST: HORRORMIRTH.

Started by LMNO, September 01, 2009, 03:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Payne

As it's the only thing I've written in this period, I'll submit my "Confessions" thread in OKM. Dunno how horrormirthy it is though, but I can't not submit something.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on September 30, 2009, 10:05:12 PM
Ok, today's the last day before we start voting.

Any final submissions?

I have a couple of good ideas, but I've already submitted a bunch.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Captain Utopia

I can't tell you how glad I am that this competition is over. It caused me a lot of stress. I thought it would be a lot easier to come up with an entry. How hard could it be I thought?

The first problem was that I wasn't exactly sure what horrormirth is. The clue seems to be in the title, but few things are that straightforward here and so I was worried I'd completely mess up at the first hurdle. A week later I concluded that I had indeed messed up at the first hurdle and that it was as straightforward as it sounded.

So what could I think of to include? I drew a blank. Painful memories? That sounds like a treasure trove!

I remembered stepping out of church into the cold November morning and asking in my loud squeaky voice "What's that horrible smell?". The other people attending my grandmothers funeral were horrified as I sniffed around until my gaze settled on the smoke stack. But no body was amused, and that was just one example of my innate ability to say the stupidest possible thing at the wrong time, even as a child.

Though I can smile about it now, I remember the horror I felt when I found out that the girl whom I had a secret and desperate monogamous crush upon, for five whole years in high-school, actually felt the same way about me. Jesus Christ, I couldn't even look her in the face without wanting to burst into tears, nevermind say more than a dozen memory-etched words to her during that entire time, and I only find out through a friend of a friend years later after she's engaged and I'm living in a different country. Fuck. No. Not even that, that's just some pathetic ass shit right there. Not horrific, not funny, just.. gah! I could have gotten laid first in my teens instead of my 20s!

So obviously I'm just too dull to dredge something from my own life. But WOMPs are allowed, and I've recently figured out how to use layers in GIMP. Bingo! Sketchbook out, and start thinking. Okay... what about a pointless sacrifice... like war.. and then someone trivialising it? I remember a scene from a collection of civil war photographs, so I use that as a basis.

Meh. Thing is, I really know shit all about the civil war, and I'm bound to stumble upon some unknown taboo or something fucked up that's just going to piss everyone off. Next.

So what about a more modern war? Some of the most horriffic images I can think of are the ones of the nude bodies just dumped into a pit like trash from the holocaust. I remember one had breasts and it was one of the least possible sexual experiences ever, but I still remember feeling guilty about the fact I saw them. And since then I've not been able to stop looking whenever I see similar imagery. That's pretty horrifically fucked up.. but can I find a way to make it funny?

Oh fuck no. I can't make it funny. That's just completely sick. What sort of worthless piece of shit would even think of such a thing? Jesus Cuntherpes Christ. What with all the other bullshit, there's no way I could pull that off, what's more, I don't want to be the sort of person who could.

At this point I'm starting to feel physically ill and I look down at my shitty sketches and I throw them away in disgust. Am I trying too hard, or not hard enough? Fuck it, I've obviously completely misunderstood this contest, and what's more I have absolutely no idea what horrormirth is - I thought I did, but I now just hate myself with increased intensity.

About a week ago I wonder briefly about submitting myself, as a horrifically inept candidate. But I'm still no closer to understanding "horrormirth", and I was at a loss for "mirth" anyway. Gah. And then I forgot about it again until it was too late to try. So this is just a short writeup for the organisers to see if next time they could make it a bit easier. Or fluffier. Less introspective. Oh god, nevermind, what the fuck do I know? Nothing evidently.

Rev. St. Syn, KSC (Ret.)

Synaptyclypse Generator Publishing Sect, POEE International Resource Center

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: fictionpuss on October 01, 2009, 07:34:20 AM
I can't tell you how glad I am that this competition is over. It caused me a lot of stress. I thought it would be a lot easier to come up with an entry. How hard could it be I thought?

The first problem was that I wasn't exactly sure what horrormirth is. The clue seems to be in the title, but few things are that straightforward here and so I was worried I'd completely mess up at the first hurdle. A week later I concluded that I had indeed messed up at the first hurdle and that it was as straightforward as it sounded.

So what could I think of to include? I drew a blank. Painful memories? That sounds like a treasure trove!

I remembered stepping out of church into the cold November morning and asking in my loud squeaky voice "What's that horrible smell?". The other people attending my grandmothers funeral were horrified as I sniffed around until my gaze settled on the smoke stack. But no body was amused, and that was just one example of my innate ability to say the stupidest possible thing at the wrong time, even as a child.

Though I can smile about it now, I remember the horror I felt when I found out that the girl whom I had a secret and desperate monogamous crush upon, for five whole years in high-school, actually felt the same way about me. Jesus Christ, I couldn't even look her in the face without wanting to burst into tears, nevermind say more than a dozen memory-etched words to her during that entire time, and I only find out through a friend of a friend years later after she's engaged and I'm living in a different country. Fuck. No. Not even that, that's just some pathetic ass shit right there. Not horrific, not funny, just.. gah! I could have gotten laid first in my teens instead of my 20s!

So obviously I'm just too dull to dredge something from my own life. But WOMPs are allowed, and I've recently figured out how to use layers in GIMP. Bingo! Sketchbook out, and start thinking. Okay... what about a pointless sacrifice... like war.. and then someone trivialising it? I remember a scene from a collection of civil war photographs, so I use that as a basis.

Meh. Thing is, I really know shit all about the civil war, and I'm bound to stumble upon some unknown taboo or something fucked up that's just going to piss everyone off. Next.

So what about a more modern war? Some of the most horriffic images I can think of are the ones of the nude bodies just dumped into a pit like trash from the holocaust. I remember one had breasts and it was one of the least possible sexual experiences ever, but I still remember feeling guilty about the fact I saw them. And since then I've not been able to stop looking whenever I see similar imagery. That's pretty horrifically fucked up.. but can I find a way to make it funny?

Oh fuck no. I can't make it funny. That's just completely sick. What sort of worthless piece of shit would even think of such a thing? Jesus Cuntherpes Christ. What with all the other bullshit, there's no way I could pull that off, what's more, I don't want to be the sort of person who could.

At this point I'm starting to feel physically ill and I look down at my shitty sketches and I throw them away in disgust. Am I trying too hard, or not hard enough? Fuck it, I've obviously completely misunderstood this contest, and what's more I have absolutely no idea what horrormirth is - I thought I did, but I now just hate myself with increased intensity.

About a week ago I wonder briefly about submitting myself, as a horrifically inept candidate. But I'm still no closer to understanding "horrormirth", and I was at a loss for "mirth" anyway. Gah. And then I forgot about it again until it was too late to try. So this is just a short writeup for the organisers to see if next time they could make it a bit easier. Or fluffier. Less introspective. Oh god, nevermind, what the fuck do I know? Nothing evidently.

If you want a description of horrormirth, just look at 2000 - present, and not just politics.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.