News:

MysticWicks endorsement: ""Oooh, I'm a Discordian! I can do whatever I want! Which means I can just SAY I'm a pagan but I never bother doing rituals or studying any kind of sacred texts or developing a relationship with deity, etc! I can go around and not be Christian, but I won't quite be anything else either because I just can't commit and I can't be ARSED to commit!"

Main Menu

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DUTCHSPAAAAG!

Started by Pope Pixie Pickle, September 02, 2009, 10:29:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Maybe not when you're in the workplace, or at least you can make a good judgement. But for getting a job, I wouldnt risk it.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Triple Zero on September 03, 2009, 05:52:39 PM
Maybe not when you're in the workplace, or at least you can make a good judgement. But for getting a job, I wouldnt risk it.

It makes a difference when I hire people.

For real, and for two very good reasons.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Jenne

Tr00f:  I have not had to interview for a job in more than a dozen years.  But then, I'm not really one that has to worry about my appearance being a problem.  But I've noticed that you get to a certain point in some careers, and it's almost more who you know than who you are.  Actually, that's probably pretty much the truth across the board.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jenne on September 03, 2009, 05:59:02 PM
Tr00f:  I have not had to interview for a job in more than a dozen years.  But then, I'm not really one that has to worry about my appearance being a problem.  But I've noticed that you get to a certain point in some careers, and it's almost more who you know than who you are.  Actually, that's probably pretty much the truth across the board.

Well, the problem I have when people show up with 6 million piercings is that they're too dumb to hide their weirdness, which gives the other managers leverage to use against me.

Also, this is maintenance, and if they have 50 piercings, someone will assume they're a bearing and try to lube them.

Then I have to deal with harassment complaints.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Jenne

A lot of times it can be a safety issue, I am sure.  My cousin who now works as a pharm tech for Costco has to take out her nosering and wear bracelets or long-sleeved shirts to hide her tatts...but the rest of her is so "normal" it's sort of hilarious she has to jump through all those hoops.

Sir Squid Diddimus

I have a labret piercing, a few visible tats, painted on eyebrows and work for a bank.
Of course, I don't deal face to face with customers.

And 000, changing hair in pics is cute, but I think yours is fine just the way it is. Unless you go with henna. That stuff is neat (wear gloves)

LMNO

Quote from: Jenne on September 03, 2009, 05:47:15 PM
:lulz:

I'm wondering if haircolor will always matter in the workplace.  A few years ago they said cottage industry was hitting the big time and things like tatts, piercings and hair dye were no longer an issue with employment.  Which was great for folks I grew up with (notice I'm not using the words "my generation," you Spags!), since most of them prefer funky hair, have nose or eyebrow piercings and tatts on their forearms.

Now that the economy has nosedived into some parts of small-time corporate oblivion...I'm wondering if it's back to the ol' neat-and-clean look for the average employed Joe or Jill now...

Sorry for the threadjack.

Corporate never changes.  When start-ups were the rage, and the people with the knowledge were the freaks, they had to let a few things slide.

But as soon as the knowledge became part of the structure, then they could hide the freaks with cogspags who administrated the knowledge, and further still with suits who managed the admins.

In some tech/pharma/media companies, you'll still find the freaks if you walk to the core of the IT department, but as soon as you encounter the coporate structure, the punkers have buttoned the cuffs of their long-sleeved shirts, and have combed their hair back.

LMNO
-personal experience.

AFK

In social work and non-profits you can "get away" with a bit more.  I've worked with many women (because it is mostly women in my field) with nose piercings, tattoos, dreads, etc.,  Just depends on the clientele you are working with and how liberal your Executive Director is.  I still haven't quite figured mine out yet and I've been wanting to grow my hair out again, but, in this economy, I'm not sure it is worth the risk. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 03, 2009, 06:02:57 PM

Also, this is maintenance, and if they have 50 piercings, someone will assume they're a bearing and try to lube them.

Then I have to deal with harassment complaints.

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

Roger speaks tr00f. That's why I would always show up "normal" and "decent" at a job interview. Except I don't do shaven smooth, trimmed to 1mm (0.04 inch) is as far as I go. Unless, of course, I know this will be a problem and I really, really want the job. But I can't really think of any job that combines these two aspects.

And LMNO, I may not have experience in this, but I find it hard to believe this speaks for all corporate? I mean, sure, I can imagine not wearing a Cradle of Filth shirt, baggy pants or having spiky hair. But jeans? or slim-fit buttoned shirt in a nice bright colour? And spiky hair, if it's short, I've seen the suits do it (plus, whatever it's called that Wilders gets away with). I mean, some corps will be white shirt, black tie etc and nothing else, but I would expect some to just expect neatness, decent-looking clothes that are appropriate for the occasion (depending on whether you have to meet customers and such).
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Reginald Ret

That reminds me: I dont actually care much for my job, í think it is time to shave the sides of my head again.

Also,
Belated Congratulations!
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Jenne

I think LMNO is right--when you have "visibility" in a corporate structure, they usually want you to "spiffy-up"...or like with Richter's company, pretend to when the suits come by, and then everything goes back to "cas" (first half of the word "casual" of course) after that.

My mother and my brother both work for insurance companies, different kinds, though.  He's IT, she's data entry.  And both of them wear what I consider "play clothes," but neither one of them is allowed in shorts and nasty clothes (ripped, torn, etc. or tank tops for guys)...you have to look clean, but casual all the way.  It makes sense because there's no client who's going to walk into their office and not give them their business if my mom's in a sundress and my brother's in jeans and a golf shirt.

My other brother works as an IT guy for an international production company that's a middle man for commercials on radio and small screen.  He has to dress a slight cut above, but not by much.  So he gets to wear the nice jeans, nice shoes and button-down.  No slacks necessary unless the suits come in, and then he has to go the next leg up to business casual.

ETA: but this is CA...not sure if we have more casual standards here or not.  I tend to lump the East Coasters as more dressy in general, but I could just be needlessly stereotyping.