News:

Feel my amazing brain. Go on, touch it!

Main Menu

Pat Buchannan: Hitler Apologist

Started by Iason Ouabache, September 03, 2009, 06:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Also, Buchanan fails to mention that Germany orchestrated the border incident which ignited the war.  SD personnel dressed in Polish uniforms crossed the border then returned to stage attacks on a German outpost, giving them the pretext for an invasion.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on September 03, 2009, 09:25:22 PM
Also, Buchanan fails to mention that Germany orchestrated the border incident which ignited the war. 

Of course he did. 
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

I also love the implication that Hitler followed some kind of strategic rationale.  As anyone who has dabbled in history, or reading primary sources from the German High Command knows, Hitler relied on irrationality and what he considered his intuitive genius to bring him to victory - often ignoring conventional military wisdom, logic or common sense in the process.  Sometimes, this worked, through sheer audacity.  But all it indicates is someone averse to conventional planning and who has some irrational beliefs (like that Aryans are inherently better and more manly troops than non-Aryans, and so should win in any war).

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on September 03, 2009, 09:35:19 PM
I also love the implication that Hitler followed some kind of strategic rationale.  As anyone who has dabbled in history, or reading primary sources from the German High Command knows, Hitler relied on irrationality and what he considered his intuitive genius to bring him to victory - often ignoring conventional military wisdom, logic or common sense in the process.  Sometimes, this worked, through sheer audacity.  But all it indicates is someone averse to conventional planning and who has some irrational beliefs (like that Aryans are inherently better and more manly troops than non-Aryans, and so should win in any war).

Yeah, it didn't do him any good during Operation Bagration, that's for damn sure.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cain

Did Hitler have much of a say in that?  The symbolic choice of date for the start of the campaign reeks of him, but from the little I know of it, the OKH were the ones who dropped the ball on their analysis of the Soviet disposition and intentions.  Though, now I think of it, I know Hitler was especially vulnerable to such trickery as well.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Hitler was not "crazy like a fox"... I think that's where we're going with this...
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on September 03, 2009, 10:21:37 PM
Did Hitler have much of a say in that?  The symbolic choice of date for the start of the campaign reeks of him, but from the little I know of it, the OKH were the ones who dropped the ball on their analysis of the Soviet disposition and intentions.  Though, now I think of it, I know Hitler was especially vulnerable to such trickery as well.

I was thinking more of his insistence on running the war personally.

Cain

As a general rule he did, yeah.  I suppose allowing yourself to get in a position where your capital can be beseiged by the Soviets is also an indication of bad planning.