News:

Yes we're horrible toxic people, because this is 2020's Mental Illness Olympics, and the winners get a free pass on giving life-threatening advice with the bonus of having zero accountability for their shit behaviour.

Main Menu

I finally understand politics.

Started by Requia ☣, September 04, 2009, 02:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Requia ☣

If you're going to appeal to authority, it would help if you didn't appeal to stage magicians.  I've seen the show, they don't even have the ability to do a double blind experiment.

For a better look at the effects of stress: http://www.pbs.org/saf/1310/video/watchonline.htm (pbs hasn't figured out flash yet apparently, you may need some work to get those to run).
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Soylent Green

Quote from: Requia ☣ on September 04, 2009, 05:28:47 AM
Apparently the term used in the literature is psylocybin.

Not much work into its effects on the hippocampus.  It does suppress the hippocampus while its active.  One study found that there was no change in EEG for the hippocampus region when not actually on the drug (was done with monkeys, but the hippocampus is pretty standard for all mammals, it should be the same in humans).  The EEG study wasn't repeated (as in no one tried, not no repeatable results) that I can find either.  Makes it a bit tough to say how reliable the finding is.

My professional opinion is that that idea is 'total bullshit'.

Hah, thought so.

Thanks for the info.

The Good Reverend Roger

Oh oh, Requia's in "Pedantic Weasel" mode, again.   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Jenne

Actually what they show is that stress is no different now than it ever has been, it's what the media and the people who want to SELL you something to make it BETTER have to do with it that's the interesting part.

Interesting meaning how America's being sold down a river because of it.  

FACT:  when you're overfed, you worry about shit like STRESS.  When DON'T EAT, then stress is kinda not a big deal.

ETA:  Req, you sound like those who say Stewart, Colbert and Maher are talking out their asses because they make the news ha-ha-funny while pointing out the wah-wah-reality.  Not because their news is worthy of being said or made note of.

Arrogant, in other words.

But I getcha.

Requia ☣

I suppose the arrogance thing is fair.

The factoid... seems reasonable, stress coping chems shut down the digestive tract, you'd have to stop using them if you eat.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Kai

I accept that stress causes vascular constriction leading to increased cases of cardiovascular malfunction, and other related impacts, but I don't accept that it causes hippocampus neurodegeneration any more than any other part of the brain.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: Kai on September 05, 2009, 07:22:48 PM
I accept that stress causes vascular constriction leading to increased cases of cardiovascular malfunction, and other related impacts, but I don't accept that it causes hippocampus neurodegeneration any more than any other part of the brain.

this.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

In chronic cases the "glucocorticoids exacerbate the effect of excitatory amino acids."

Also from the paper linked above:

Vietnam veterans with PTSD have decreased hippocampal volume on MRI, as well as decreased scores on standardized tests of memory. Short term (recent) memory function has been localized to the hippocampus.

P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Kai

Quote from: Ne+@uNGr0+ on September 07, 2009, 01:59:30 AM

In chronic cases the "glucocorticoids exacerbate the effect of excitatory amino acids."

Also from the paper linked above:

Vietnam veterans with PTSD have decreased hippocampal volume on MRI, as well as decreased scores on standardized tests of memory. Short term (recent) memory function has been localized to the hippocampus.

So if A=B and C=D, B=C?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

There's a strong correlation between stress and hippocampus atrophy.

Google "Robert M. Sapolsky" if you don't believe me.

The guy is Professor of Neurology and Neurological Sciences at Stanford University and has been studying stress for a few decades.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Halfbaked1

I would just like to say that I am so happy i found this place.  You guys are like long lost family that I would date if it weren't illegal so I just end up hugging you longer than is casually acceptable.  :mrgreen:

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: Halfbaked1 on September 09, 2009, 11:18:39 AM
I would just like to say that I am so happy i found this place.  You guys are like long lost family that I would date if it weren't illegal so I just end up hugging you longer than is casually acceptable.  :mrgreen:

........... don't touch me
            \

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Squid on September 09, 2009, 04:01:14 PM
Quote from: Halfbaked1 on September 09, 2009, 11:18:39 AM

........... don't touch me
            \

Shut up, you know you like it.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Sir Squid Diddimus