News:

"Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed." - Jesus

Main Menu

Fuck you all, I'm going on vacation...

Started by Brotep, September 04, 2009, 06:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brotep

...to Sealand!

I don't know what the list of Discordian pilgrimage sites is at this point (I do hope the Intelligent Design museum in Ohio and the animatronic creationist dinosaur theme park in Florida that got shut down are on the list), but I think I found some places to add to the list.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

EEEeeeeeEEEEEEE! The Kingdom of Redonda!

QuoteFun Fact:
For 35 US dollars you can join King Robert's navy and help him defend the island and its shit from evil invaders. It's up to you if you want to give the guy $35 for the honor of deterring imaginary threats to an island of shit. You must provide your own boat.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh YES! Hello, why are we not doing this right now?

QuoteFreetown Christiania

About 85 acres somewhere in Copenhagen, Denmark.

Population:

Official site:
Christiania.org

The country:
Christiania was founded in 1971 when five people took over an abandoned military installation as a form of protest against the Danish government, which was blamed for the lack of affordable housing at the time. While we were not there, we can calculate that at least four of them thought of using the phrase "Killing two birds with one stone," while discussing the idea (or as they say in Denmark, "Killing two birds with one stone." Only they in Danish).

Since then, more people have moved in and the place has been going by its own rules under the principles of anarchy, communism and the hippie movement--except for the time when Denmark decided to use their rules on them. On those occasions, they live under the principles of being hit in the head with a big stick by a policeman. The national pastime is yoga, although we hear the second most popular pastime, checking out movies that are more fun to watch while stoned, is quickly gaining popularity.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

-Kel-

I'm with you! Cept I'm off to New York. Plane leaves tonight!  :hammer:

Triple Zero

I visited Christiania this year on my holiday in Denmark. It's a shithole. The idea probably started out pretty nice, but deteriorated very quickly. First it was gangs and harddrugs, then they prohibited that, only selling weed. Now there's a small tourist market selling stuff and paraphernalia, where you're not allowed to take pictures, some shady people hanging around burning oil vats, a few bars with alcoholic bums hanging out in front, broken windows, old colourful hippie buildings in a bad state of decay, all the roads are broken and damaged, which is what you get for not paying taxes, which made me wonder in what sense they are leeching off the public infrastructure and services provided for everyone in Kopenhagen. Which is a really nice and beautiful city, but the streets around Christiania are all urban wasteland that you dont wanna get near in the dark. What if they had a fire? Would the Kopenhagen fire dept come and help them (I suppose they would, Danish aren't that inhumane), what about doctors? running water? gas? electricity? sewerage? etc. They do pay a little fee, IIRC, but not much and they aren't giving much back to the city either apart from selling weed and being a minor tourist attraction.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

fomenter

i saw a PBS travel Chanel show about that place, they made it sound all artsy and full of prosperous creativity  :lulz:  (the smell of dirty hippies on welfare came through even with the "artistic atmosphere" they were promoting)
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Triple Zero on September 04, 2009, 08:02:58 PM
I visited Christiania this year on my holiday in Denmark. It's a shithole. The idea probably started out pretty nice, but deteriorated very quickly. First it was gangs and harddrugs, then they prohibited that, only selling weed. Now there's a small tourist market selling stuff and paraphernalia, where you're not allowed to take pictures, some shady people hanging around burning oil vats, a few bars with alcoholic bums hanging out in front, broken windows, old colourful hippie buildings in a bad state of decay, all the roads are broken and damaged, which is what you get for not paying taxes, which made me wonder in what sense they are leeching off the public infrastructure and services provided for everyone in Kopenhagen. Which is a really nice and beautiful city, but the streets around Christiania are all urban wasteland that you dont wanna get near in the dark. What if they had a fire? Would the Kopenhagen fire dept come and help them (I suppose they would, Danish aren't that inhumane), what about doctors? running water? gas? electricity? sewerage? etc. They do pay a little fee, IIRC, but not much and they aren't giving much back to the city either apart from selling weed and being a minor tourist attraction.
Sounds like a Libertarian paradise.  :lulz:
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Brotep

Quote from: SealandGov.orgInitial Challenge to Sealand's Sovereignty

By late 1968, the British navy had become aware of the new situation off the coast of England. They were interested in terminating the state of affairs brought about by an error committed by the most senior military authorities without causing too much uproar.

Units of the navy entered the territorial waters claimed by Roy of Sealand. As he was aware of his sovereignty, Roy of Sealand threatened the navy by undertaking defensive activity. Shots were fired from Sealand in warning.

Since Roy of Sealand was still an English citizen, he was thus accused of extensive crimes in Britain and was summoned to an English court. The result of this lawsuit in Chelmsford, Essex was a spectacular success for Sealand's claim to sovereignty. In its judgment of 25 November 1968, the court declared that it was not competent in Roy of Sealand's case as it could not exert any jurisdiction outside of British national territory. This is the first de facto recognition of the Principality of Sealand. English law had ruled that Sealand was not part of the United Kingdom, nor did any other nation claim it, hence Prince Roy's declaration of a new Sovereign State was de facto upheld.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on September 04, 2009, 08:17:31 PM

That's why they're all rich.  :)
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 04, 2009, 09:57:07 PM

That's why they're all rich.  :)

Titans of Industry, i tell you! throwing off the shackles of.... um.... infrastructure.

fomenter

Quote from: Iptuous on September 05, 2009, 03:40:35 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 04, 2009, 09:57:07 PM
Sounds like a Libertarian paradise.  :lulz:

That's why they're all rich.  :)

Titans of Industry, i tell you! throwing off the shackles of.... um.... infrastructure.

"Achievement of your happiness is the only moral purpose of your life, and that happiness, not bathing or sanitation, is the proof of your moral integrity, since it and its smell is the proof and the result of your loyalty to the achievement of your values. " mostly ayn rand
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Jenne

Yeah, *I*...do not get this. 

However:  carry on, carry on.

Suu

Ya'll need to check out the Holy Land Experience.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Sir Squid Diddimus

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

So, basically, it's a lot like this forum, then?