News:

If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

Main Menu

Hip Hop

Started by NWC, September 09, 2009, 07:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWC

I like rap, I write rap, and I just discovered one awesome artist and rediscovered another, thought I'd share

New guy(who's really old): 'Slug' from Atmosphere
this guy is excellent. a little like Sage Francis, if you know him. Great wordplay and poetic rhythm. I'm hooked on 2 songs, 'Body Pillow' and 'Bleed Slow'

and I recently rediscovered Gift of Gab from Blackalicious, who is fucking excellent. The song 'Release' he did with Saul Williams was excellent, and I just started listening carefully to 4th Dimension Rocketships Going Up, which is some really great work.

I'm also getting into French rap and slam, namely MC Solaar and Grands Corps Malade. If you understand French they're both must-listens.

what rhythmic rhymes are you guys listening to these days?
PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED

The Good Reverend Roger

RUN DMC or GTFO!   :argh!:

TGRR,
Old School or No School.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

I've actually been listening to a lot of old skool stuff lately.  Lots of Afrika Bambaataa, Grandmaster Flash, early Tupac and Notorious B.I.G.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on September 09, 2009, 07:07:32 PM
I've actually been listening to a lot of old skool stuff lately.  Lots of Afrika Bambaataa, Grandmaster Flash, early Tupac and Notorious B.I.G.

BIG isn't old school.  The Sugar Hill Gang is old school.

TGRR,
Older than dirt, and twice as cheap.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cain

For the youth of today, So Solid Crew are considered old skool.

NWC

old skool is A Tribe Called Quest, that's abot as old as I listen to

otherwise it's alot of Dead Prez, Saul Williams, Eminem(even if I hate half of what he says, he's a modern fucking Shakespeare on some of his tracks), a little Outkast if I'm feeling funky. And from time to time I like to walk down the street listening to the Grey Album, Jay Z + Beatles. 

Suu

The man to talk to about this is ECH. I'm sure he'll be around in a bit.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

NWC

I wasn't sure if anyone here was into rhymes, looks like it though. I'm working on filming some of my recent stuff and making a youtube channel, I'll link it here when I get 3 or 4 things nicely done. Right now I'm fighting with my webcam trying to get a decent picture.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: NWC on September 09, 2009, 07:29:08 PM
old skool is A Tribe Called Quest,

:crankey:

In MY day, we didn't HAVE Rhymes.  We had to make do with Emily Dickenson set to a back beat.  You kids don't know how good you have it, walking around with your eye pods listening to the rock and the roll.  When I was a kid, we listened with our EARS!  This country is going to hell, I tell you!  TO HELL!

NWC

Go sit on the porch and yell Shakespearian verse at cars, old man.

Jenne

HIE THEE OFF MY LAWN!

Suu

General Stuart recommends Immortal Technique.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: NWC on September 09, 2009, 07:39:01 PM
Go sit on the porch and yell Shakespearian verse at cars, old man.

Goethe or GTFO!   :argh!:

NWC

Rumckle

Quote from: NWC on September 09, 2009, 07:04:43 PM
I like rap, I write rap, and I just discovered one awesome artist and rediscovered another, thought I'd share

New guy(who's really old): 'Slug' from Atmosphere
this guy is excellent. a little like Sage Francis, if you know him. Great wordplay and poetic rhythm. I'm hooked on 2 songs, 'Body Pillow' and 'Bleed Slow'

and I recently rediscovered Gift of Gab from Blackalicious, who is fucking excellent. The song 'Release' he did with Saul Williams was excellent, and I just started listening carefully to 4th Dimension Rocketships Going Up, which is some really great work.

I'm also getting into French rap and slam, namely MC Solaar and Grands Corps Malade. If you understand French they're both must-listens.

what rhythmic rhymes are you guys listening to these days?

I like MC Solaar, despite my lack of speaking French.

Lately I've been listening to the Herd a lot.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.