News:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Main Menu

Hip Hop

Started by NWC, September 09, 2009, 07:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

I've never been a huge rap fan.  There was some pretty good stuff though that came out of the late 80s/early 90s.  Public Enemy, of course.  KRS-One.  3rd Bass.  De La Soul.  A Tribe Called Quest as someone already mentioned.  I also liked groups like US3 that blended hip hop with jazz. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

NWC

Quote from: Rumwolf on September 09, 2009, 07:56:22 PM
I like MC Solaar, despite my lack of speaking French.

Yeah I got a CD of his for Christmas last year, and I loved it then, even though I only understood a little, as I learned more I liked it more, and now that I understand everything I love it.

The only hip-hip I listen to right now that I don't understand is the incredible

Movits!

Best Swedish swing jazz hip-hop band ever.
PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: NWC on September 09, 2009, 08:18:31 PM
Quote from: Rumwolf on September 09, 2009, 07:56:22 PM
I like MC Solaar, despite my lack of speaking French.

Yeah I got a CD of his for Christmas last year, and I loved it then, even though I only understood a little, as I learned more I liked it more, and now that I understand everything I love it.

The only hip-hip I listen to right now that I don't understand is the incredible

Movits!

Swedes cannot do hip hop.  They don't have the right hormones for it.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Quote from: Suu on September 09, 2009, 07:40:56 PM
General Stuart recommends Immortal Technique.

Third World I would agree with.  His earlier two albums have some decent tracks, but nowhere near enough to make it worth buying the whole thing.

Jenne

Movits!

They got the Colbert Bump.

NWC

Quote from: Jenne on September 09, 2009, 08:25:39 PM

Movits!

They got the Colbert Bump.

yeah that's how I heard of them, but then I illegally downloaded their album and it's genius, makes me want to learn Swedish

Iason Ouabache

Awesome website telling who sampled who.  Who? Whom? Fuck it:

http://www.whosampled.com/

I especially love the section on DJ Shadow: http://www.whosampled.com/artist/DJ%20Shadow/
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

derpsichord

Slug has worked with one of my favourite rappers (Murs) on a few albums. The group is called Felt. Here's a soft, but really good song they did. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0794IvqFHEo

Corvidia

Busdriver
Aesop Rock
Sweatshop Union
Brother Ali
Jedi Mindtricks
Black Ice (I'm a little reluctant to really recommend him, as I haven't listened to a whole lot of his stuff, but I like what I've heard so far.)
One for sorrow,
Two for joy,
Three for a girl,
Four for a boy,
Five for silver,
Six for gold,
Seven for a secret never to be told.

NWC

I've been listening to Atmosphere nonstop all day, it's consistently excellent.

Quote from: LMNO on September 10, 2009, 12:23:09 AM
Erik B and Rakim
Dead Prez

fuck yeah