News:

Please take a stand against our terrible values

Main Menu

Max Blumenthal's Republican Gemorrah book

Started by Jenne, September 11, 2009, 04:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenne

http://www.republicangomorrah.com/

I heard his interview on Fresh Air with Terri Gross yesterday.  More chilling accounts of how wrapped up in theology the Rightwingnuts are--this guy infiltrated Palin's church and was there while she was speaking in tongues with her congregation (something I've seen myself firsthand, it's a little weird to say the least).  He says he'd never spoken in tongues before, so to fit in, he simply repeated the first names of the Jackson 5 over and over.

However, he includes in his book a look at Eisenhauer's warnings about the GOP being taken over by the Bible-thumping set, and how insidious the takeover would truly be.  It's rather galling to listen to what he found in Eisenhauer's correlations and what has happened in the last 40 years or so.  Excerpts in link.

Requia ☣

Practicing a religion on Sunday is now being wrapped up in Theology?  Palin is nuts, but practicing religion inside a church (instead of inside the senate hall) is still OK isn't it?
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Jenne

Sure...if you hear about how annointed she was by a voodoo doctor to get demons out of American citizens.

You want THAT for a president?

I sure as shit don't.

Requia ☣

I'm torn on this these days.  I mean, Palin as president would be funny, but I'm not sure if it would be as funny as whatever they come up with after the birther movement if the Dems stay in power.

Though yeah, being anointed as the exorcist for America is *much* more crazy than speaking in tongues.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Jenne

I dunno--it frightens the shit outta me.  The day that becomes "normal" and "revered" is the day I move the fuck out with my family in tow, just saying.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jenne on September 11, 2009, 07:37:49 PM
I dunno--it frightens the shit outta me.  The day that becomes "normal" and "revered" is the day I move the fuck out with my family in tow, just saying.

That's because you're a commie Godless heathen that will surely burn.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Jenne

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 11, 2009, 08:50:47 PM
Quote from: Jenne on September 11, 2009, 07:37:49 PM

That's because you're a commie Godless heathen that will surely burn.

I'm serious, though--I mean, it's not like I didn't grow up with this...I know the insidious nature of this kind of religious bent.  But the divide in the country deepens the more acceptable this shit is in our so-called leaders.  It's cuckoo and yet horrormirthy, too.

Sickens my stomach...the more the guy talked about his book, the more I wanted to crash into something to get it out of my head.  Of course, I didn't crash, nor did I turn off the radio.

Iason Ouabache

Come to the Midwest, Jenne!  I'm surrounded by this shit. Speaking in tongues, annointing with oil, praying against demons. That kinda of stuff happens in every town every single Sunday.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Golden Applesauce

Surround yourself with Catholics.  They might be crazy in their own little ways, but they have proper disdain for those Enthusiasts who can't tell the difference between a chemical rush and the Holy Spirit.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Kai

Quote from: GA on September 12, 2009, 03:13:58 AM
Surround yourself with Catholics.  They might be crazy in their own little ways, but they have proper disdain for those Enthusiasts who can't tell the difference between a chemical rush and the Holy Spirit.

This.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Cain

Yeah, the Catholic League are only marginally insane  :roll:

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Cain on September 12, 2009, 05:46:33 PM
Yeah, the Catholic League are only marginally insane  :roll:
The Catholic League is just Bill Donohue, 3 secretaries and an overworked fax machine. They have more "advisors" than actual staff.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Kai

Quote from: Cain on September 12, 2009, 05:46:33 PM
Yeah, the Catholic League are only marginally insane  :roll:

At least they are less evangelical, don't actively seek out rapture and the apocalypse of st John, have better ties with science including evolutionary theory and don't go for those brainwashing ecstasy-like high events with the speaking in tongues. I can deal with and talk with catholics, I can attend mass, enjoy it even; its the evangelical protestants that freak me out.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Cain

Yeah, the continued coverups of systemic child abuse, constant campaigns against contraception and safe sex in third world countries, complicity in organised crime and shilling for third world dictators aren't that important, I guess.  So long as they're not knocking on peoples doors or spazzing out in public.

Kai

Quote from: Cain on September 13, 2009, 02:18:14 PM
Yeah, the continued coverups of systemic child abuse, constant campaigns against contraception and safe sex in third world countries, complicity in organised crime and shilling for third world dictators aren't that important, I guess.  So long as they're not knocking on peoples doors or spazzing out in public.

Point.