News:

PD.com: "a rather irritating form of hermetic terrorism".

Main Menu

Political quotes of the moment

Started by Cain, September 13, 2009, 03:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on November 12, 2015, 10:25:43 PM
Not to mention, while a person is legally allowed to be an asshole racist, it is also legally allowed for someone else to berate, insult, protest, and yell at that person.

Which, it should be pointed out, is exactly what happened.

Yeah, I kinda hate people who are all "YARRRRRGH FREEDOM OF SPEECH! I mean, for racist speech. Not for anti-racist speech though".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

I'm pretty sympathetic to the students.  I think the original request from the student body regarding Halloween costumes was well-phrased and not especially objectionable, in fact I'd say it was the very model of a good approach to take.  That said, I think in the response to the letter from Christiakis, they've missed something fairly important and that is how by invoking the administration of the university, they are opening the door to greater political control over University students by their administration.

In fact, Christiakis referenced this in her own letter "in practice, I wonder if we should reflect more transparently, as a community, on the consequences of an institutional (which is to say: bureaucratic and administrative) exercise of implied control over college students."  I can't say I especially support the context in which she is placing that sentence, nor do I think it was the case with the original email, but in the larger scheme of things and the way things are going at American universities of late, I think it is an important point.

The problem I see, in the long term, is that Universities are corporations, with corporate interests and corporate practices.  Discontent will be managed in accordance with those corporate interests, and not necessarily in any larger sense, and it is quite likely that allowing University administrations greater control over political and social expression can and will backfire on those most in favour of it.  The next time a war like Iraq is on the cards, I can see such administrative power being abused very effectively for example.

That has little to do with the actual situation at Yale itself, but it what I've been thinking about recently.

xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed)

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 12, 2015, 08:30:10 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 12, 2015, 08:38:06 PM
It also has not escaped my notice, although it may have escaped yours, that you seem to have a hotbutton reaction wherever issues of racism arise. All of a sudden, individual freedom becomes tremendously important to you, and you're ready to put someone down for being a sheeple and kowtowing to political correctness. That raises some red flags.

And I'm someone who got into it with Roger over banning someone just for calling me nigger, so don't go trotting out the old tired accusations you used on Twid. I agreed with you about freedom of speech; what I didn't agree with is you attacking someone and calling them names purely for re-evaluating their position in light of evidence they hadn't yet considered. That's some cowardly, insecure behavior, right there.
Because I notice that a lot of people, not necessarily the people here, are mindless sheeple kowtowing to political correctness and I enjoy breaking the circlejerk. And just to get this out of the way, my main objection to Political Correctness isnt that its going to take over everything and stomp out all badwrong thought but that its mostly pointless. Its pointless little superficial rituals that serve no purpose but alleviating the anxieties of the well off so that they can go back to perpetuating a system based on literal slavery.

This is entirely too late, but yeah I did flip out on Twid. I still disagree with him for the same reasons I laid out there, but the response was completely out of proportion.

Quote from: xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed) on November 12, 2015, 08:13:36 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 12, 2015, 07:46:48 PM
I can't smoke or grow pot on campus, for example. Nor can I have guns or smoke cigarettes. Thankfully, because I actually AM a grown adult, I don't live on campus.

And if someone opposed the weapon ban would you say that makes them pro-school shooting? Does disagreeing with campus wide smoking bans make you pro-cancer?

No. Stop with the red herrings. The way you treated Twid purely for reexamining his beliefs was fucking reprehensible.
[/quote]

What red herrings? Im defending the exact same point that you responded to.

I definitely think less of you and am skeptical of your motives now, and this instance appears to be more of the same bullshit.

What motives? What do you think is the secret master plan behind me posting opinions you disagree with on a half dead political forum? If I were a racist I would be 100% open about it because I give zero fucks. Also notice how no one has yet to point out exactly where I expressed a racist opinion, just that I expressed an opinion that sounds like something a racist might say maybe. Which puts me in a position where it is absolutely impossible to defend myself because I have to prove a negative. Not just that but a SECRET racist, which means that the lack of racism in my posts becomes evidence for my racism. How do I prove that Im not, against every word that I have typed here, racist? How do I prove that Im not hyper-intelligent walrus that learned to type with its flippers? How do I prove that Im not secretly a stealth Mormon and all my posting is just PRETENDING to be a stealth racist to cover up my plot to convert all of PD? 

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 12, 2015, 11:06:35 PM
Not to mention, while a person is legally allowed to be an asshole racist, it is also legally allowed for someone else to berate, insult, protest, and yell at that person.

Which, it should be pointed out, is exactly what happened.

Yeah, I kinda hate people who are all "YARRRRRGH FREEDOM OF SPEECH! I mean, for racist speech. Not for anti-racist speech though".

And I am all for the rights of the protestors. I just thought that letter was whiny and stupid and posted what I thought was a funny quote from it here. Then I found out that Im a racist.

Meunster

you guys still talking racism politics?

Wake up guys, the flavor of the week is immigration in europe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44vzMNG2fZc

Also using freedom of speech for any kind of hatred or person attacking in a rude and unpleasant manner is pretty retarded.
Poe's law ;)

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 12, 2015, 10:06:23 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 12, 2015, 08:40:29 PM
It also has not escaped my notice, although it may have escaped yours, that you seem to have a hotbutton reaction wherever issues of racism arise. All of a sudden, individual freedom becomes tremendously important to you, and you're ready to put someone down for being a sheeple and kowtowing to political correctness. That raises some red flags.

And I'm someone who got into it with Roger over banning someone just for calling me nigger, so don't go trotting out the old tired accusations you used on Twid. I agreed with you about freedom of speech; what I didn't agree with is you attacking someone and calling them names purely for re-evaluating their position in light of evidence they hadn't yet considered. That's some cowardly, insecure behavior, right there.

Actually, I banned him for calling anyone that.  This is still something which I disagree with most of the admins on.  Freedom of speech does not imply that I have to let a Nazi preach his shit in my living room.  I don't believe in giving blatant racists house room.

Right, I just happened to be the person that he chose to direct his bigoted vomit at.

I wasn't even here that day, if I recall.

No, you were off doing whatever you neuroscience people do when nobody is looking.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on November 12, 2015, 11:34:17 PM
I'm pretty sympathetic to the students.  I think the original request from the student body regarding Halloween costumes was well-phrased and not especially objectionable, in fact I'd say it was the very model of a good approach to take.  That said, I think in the response to the letter from Christiakis, they've missed something fairly important and that is how by invoking the administration of the university, they are opening the door to greater political control over University students by their administration.

In fact, Christiakis referenced this in her own letter "in practice, I wonder if we should reflect more transparently, as a community, on the consequences of an institutional (which is to say: bureaucratic and administrative) exercise of implied control over college students."  I can't say I especially support the context in which she is placing that sentence, nor do I think it was the case with the original email, but in the larger scheme of things and the way things are going at American universities of late, I think it is an important point.

The problem I see, in the long term, is that Universities are corporations, with corporate interests and corporate practices.  Discontent will be managed in accordance with those corporate interests, and not necessarily in any larger sense, and it is quite likely that allowing University administrations greater control over political and social expression can and will backfire on those most in favour of it.  The next time a war like Iraq is on the cards, I can see such administrative power being abused very effectively for example.

That has little to do with the actual situation at Yale itself, but it what I've been thinking about recently.

Cross-reference with what happened at Mizzou -- things started happening as soon as the (massive revenue producing) football team announced they were going to forfeit their upcoming games unless the protesters were heeded.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 13, 2015, 02:54:01 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 12, 2015, 10:06:23 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 12, 2015, 08:40:29 PM

Actually, I banned him for calling anyone that.  This is still something which I disagree with most of the admins on.  Freedom of speech does not imply that I have to let a Nazi preach his shit in my living room.  I don't believe in giving blatant racists house room.

Right, I just happened to be the person that he chose to direct his bigoted vomit at.

I wasn't even here that day, if I recall.

No, you were off doing whatever you neuroscience people do when nobody is looking.

Shhhhhh

The pigs are fine, and those kids will never remember the surgeries.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

minuspace

And I would be hard pressed to believe that the Ministry of Good Costumes at Yale is a veil for the Fabian agenda trying to subvert corporate power over elite academic institutions.

(I just wanted to use the word Fabian in a sentence)

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Hell yeah!
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed)

http://www.guilfordian.com/news/2015/11/22/student-list-of-demands-for-guilford/

QuoteWe suggest that every week a faculty member come forward and publicly admit their participation in racism inside the classroom via a letter to the editor in the Guilfordian.

Struggle sessions when?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed) on November 25, 2015, 07:33:53 PM
http://www.guilfordian.com/news/2015/11/22/student-list-of-demands-for-guilford/

QuoteWe suggest that every week a faculty member come forward and publicly admit their participation in racism inside the classroom via a letter to the editor in the Guilfordian.

Struggle sessions when?

You must feel very threatened.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 13, 2015, 06:59:02 AM
Quote from: Bu☆ns on June 12, 2015, 03:56:13 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 12, 2015, 03:09:15 AM
Quote from: Bu☆ns on June 11, 2015, 05:27:31 PM
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/mar/04/ben-carson/ben-carson-many-prisoners-go-straight-come-out-gay/

In a March 4 interview, the likely 2016 presidential contender said he believes that legalizing same-sex marriage is a decision that should be left to the states. He also argued that homosexuality is a choice, rather than biological.

"Because a lot of people who go into prison go into prison straight -- and when they come out, they're gay. So, did something happen while they were in there? Ask yourself that question," said Carson, a former head of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

You know, I was hoping Carson wasn't going to be a dingbat seeing as how he's a former neurosurgeon. I guess the best hope is an educated idiot.

He's always been a dingbat.

I'm gathering.  He seemed relatively intelligent in a podcast interview i listened to recently but so much for that.

Intelligent people can hold bad ideas.

It's difficult to internalize that, because it is far easier to assume that people who hold bad ideas are simply stupid, and that therefore you cannot hold bad ideas because you are intelligent.

Only very late:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That is lovely!

I thin the top quote came from Salty. I am pleased about having them both together on one image, it works really well.

The Wizard Joseph

Yeah that's some mighty fine pamphlet right there!
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Q. G. Pennyworth

The mayo and bleach was definitely Salty. I'm close to wrapping up all the random bits-and-bobs pages, it was really great having this one land together so neatly.