News:

Testimonial: "This board is everything that's fucking wrong with the internet"

Main Menu

Political quotes of the moment

Started by Cain, September 13, 2009, 03:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demolition Squid

Not sure. They've fucked up, but Call Me Dave is at a very tenuous stage of his term - he's constantly facing questions about his ability to actually push stuff through. If it goes to vote, he may try and force it through just because a bad law is less embarrassing than a failed vote.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Junkenstein

While his position isn't exactly solid, I suspect he's not stupid enough to try and shove it through as-is. I'd guess at May getting a little slap on the wrist (for acting as instructed) and he can fuck it off for a couple of months while it gets shoved into something resembling a real law.

Forcing a vote on an obviously bad law is no way to get ahead. I'd suggest that this is pretty well planned and orchestrated. No-one would vote for that thing as it stands because it's essentially sending everyone to prison unless you avoid anything and everything. Who-ever is bothering to lead Labour gets to flex a little bit and the con rolls smoothly on.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Doktor Howl

Chocolate is now illegal in the UK.   :lulz:
Molon Lube

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Junkenstein

Quote from: Hoopla on June 03, 2015, 06:51:25 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 03, 2015, 05:00:58 PM
Chocolate is now illegal in the UK.   :lulz:

What?!

Proposed to be, technically.

Give us a few more weeks to blame immigrants over this whole thing first.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

Or rather chocolate will only be legal by virtue of an exemption.

Cameron wasn't kidding about this whole "if you follow the law we'll leave you alone business". 

Junkenstein

Ahem:

Quote from: Junkenstein on June 02, 2015, 05:10:29 PM

QuoteObey the Law. Or not. Either way we're not going to leave you the fuck alone.

Seems more accurate the more I see on this. I'm surprised they didn't just whip out ID cards again. I thought that was the go-to for proposals that are designed to distract and disappear.

Cain

Quote from: Junkenstein on June 03, 2015, 07:04:02 PM
Ahem:

Quote from: Junkenstein on June 02, 2015, 05:10:29 PM

QuoteObey the Law. Or not. Either way we're not going to leave you the fuck alone.

Seems more accurate the more I see on this. I'm surprised they didn't just whip out ID cards again. I thought that was the go-to for proposals that are designed to distract and disappear.

They're bringing them in again via the back door.  From before the election, but making the point:

QuoteA system of identity checks for all, including British citizens, would have to be introduced to enforce the government's moves to curb access for illegal migrants to privately rented housing and to tackle alleged health tourists, leading immigration lawyers have told the home secretary.

The warnings came as Theresa May publishes her flagship immigration bill on Thursday, which will require immigration checks to be carried out before anyone can open a new bank account, be issued with a driving licence or access routine health treatment.

The Home Office bill will include measures spanning six other Whitehall departments including justice, transport, business, health, local government, and work and pensions, and is designed in May's words to "create a really hostile environment for illegal migrants". "What we don't want is a situation where people think that they can come here and overstay because they're able to access everything they need," May has said.

Cain

And just to add to the fun:

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/may/28/fury-after-primary-pupils-are-asked-to-complete-radicalisation-seeking-surveys

QuoteParents of children as young as nine have reacted angrily after schools in an east London borough asked pupils to complete surveys designed to provide clues to possible radicalisation. Waltham Forest council has been piloting the scheme in five primary schools with large Muslim intakes. The questionnaire, circulated among year 6 pupils, asks how much they trust the police and people from another race or religion.

They are also asked whether they agree that it is acceptable to marry someone from outside their race or religion and whether women are just as good as men at work. Another question asks if the pupils believe their religion is the only correct one. About 22% of the population in Waltham Forest, one of the most deprived local authorities in England, are Muslim.

Quote"The Brit project is a council programme that works with primary school pupils and their families to develop community cohesion. We're glad this has sparked a debate, as our aim is to encourage people to talk about the importance of cohesion at all ages."

Doktor Howl

Holy shit.

DEAR BRITAIN:

WE GOT NOTHING.  YOU WIN.

YOURS TRULY,
The USA
Molon Lube

Demolition Squid

Incidentally, my company used to do some work for the Waltham Forest Children's Services department.

We got the fuck out of there because they are all crazy.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Bu🤠ns

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/mar/04/ben-carson/ben-carson-many-prisoners-go-straight-come-out-gay/

In a March 4 interview, the likely 2016 presidential contender said he believes that legalizing same-sex marriage is a decision that should be left to the states. He also argued that homosexuality is a choice, rather than biological.

"Because a lot of people who go into prison go into prison straight -- and when they come out, they're gay. So, did something happen while they were in there? Ask yourself that question," said Carson, a former head of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

You know, I was hoping Carson wasn't going to be a dingbat seeing as how he's a former neurosurgeon. I guess the best hope is an educated idiot.

Rev Thwack

So, nonconsenting sex in prison means all parties are gay, nonconsenting sex in the rectory doesn't count as having happened... Got it.
My balls itch...

Cain

And nonconsenting sex in the bedroom is, no doubt, merely between a married man and woman.

Rev Thwack

Or sometimes just between a married man and his daughter.

... or dog.

... or son.
My balls itch...