News:

There are no innocents, only the squeamish and the aroused.

Main Menu

Political quotes of the moment

Started by Cain, September 13, 2009, 03:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed)

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on November 11, 2015, 09:30:51 PM
It's what you're using the blackface for that should make the difference. If they've decided it's a necessary part of a crackhead or burglar costume then yes, that's very offensive and should be strongly discouraged, but if someone's using it as part of a President Obama costume then it should be ok

is this a new guy?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on November 11, 2015, 08:45:40 PM
Quote from: LMNO on November 11, 2015, 02:42:38 PM4. That means the email you attached says, "I think blackface is acceptable at Yale".

Blackface being unacceptable is an obsolete reaction to their use in a form of entertainment which no longer exists and is only remembered in explanations of why blackface is offensive. There is no reason why it is inherently offensive and with minstrel shows dead and buried and decayed into a skeleton no good reason why it should currently be offensive at all.

You're a cunt.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed) on November 12, 2015, 01:55:16 AM
Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on November 11, 2015, 09:30:51 PM
It's what you're using the blackface for that should make the difference. If they've decided it's a necessary part of a crackhead or burglar costume then yes, that's very offensive and should be strongly discouraged, but if someone's using it as part of a President Obama costume then it should be ok

is this a new guy?

No, he's a longstanding member of the kook squad.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed) on November 11, 2015, 07:50:53 PM
Quote from: LMNO on November 11, 2015, 07:28:23 PM
Yeah, you really didn't read the entire email, right?

QuoteHowever, Halloween is also unfortunately a time when the normal thoughtfulness and sensitivity of most Yale students can sometimes be forgotten and some poor decisions can be made including wearing feathered headdresses, turbans, wearing 'war paint' or modifying skin tone or wearing blackface or redface. These same issues and examples of cultural appropriation and/or misrepresentation are increasingly surfacing with representations of Asians and Latinos.

So, you know, fuck off.

Sorry. The place I got that from implied that it was the whole email.

Still waiting to hear the reply to everything else. Especially how suggesting that grown adults can police their own halloween costumes is racism.

"Grown adults" in campus housing, where they are subject to a number of campus rules which are not in effect off campus. This is not about American Freedom, but about campus policies.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I can't smoke or grow pot on campus, for example. Nor can I have guns or smoke cigarettes. Thankfully, because I actually AM a grown adult, I don't live on campus.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed)

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 12, 2015, 07:46:48 PM
I can't smoke or grow pot on campus, for example. Nor can I have guns or smoke cigarettes. Thankfully, because I actually AM a grown adult, I don't live on campus.

And if someone opposed the weapon ban would you say that makes them pro-school shooting? Does disagreeing with campus wide smoking bans make you pro-cancer?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed) on November 12, 2015, 08:13:36 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 12, 2015, 07:46:48 PM

And if someone opposed the weapon ban would you say that makes them pro-school shooting? Does disagreeing with campus wide smoking bans make you pro-cancer?

No. Stop with the red herrings. The way you treated Twid purely for reexamining his beliefs was fucking reprehensible. I definitely think less of you and am skeptical of your motives now, and this instance appears to be more of the same bullshit.

Deal with it.

LMNO

Person A: Hey, try not to be a racist asshole on Halloween.

Person B: Hold on now.  Is there no room anymore for a child or young person to be a racist asshole?

Is Person B a racist asshole for saying it should be ok to be a racist asshole?

Remember, the initial email didn't ban racist outfits.  It reminded people that it would be a good idea not to wear offensive costumes, like blackface.  The response email said, "Is there no room anymore for a child or young person to be a little bit obnoxious... or, yes, offensive?"  She is flat out saying it should be OK for students to wear racially offensive costumes if they want to.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It also has not escaped my notice, although it may have escaped yours, that you seem to have a hotbutton reaction wherever issues of racism arise. All of a sudden, individual freedom becomes tremendously important to you, and you're ready to put someone down for being a sheeple and kowtowing to political correctness. That raises some red flags.

And I'm someone who got into it with Roger over banning someone just for calling me nigger, so don't go trotting out the old tired accusations you used on Twid. I agreed with you about freedom of speech; what I didn't agree with is you attacking someone and calling them names purely for re-evaluating their position in light of evidence they hadn't yet considered. That's some cowardly, insecure behavior, right there.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on November 12, 2015, 08:30:59 PM
Person A: Hey, try not to be a racist asshole on Halloween.

Person B: Hold on now.  Is there no room anymore for a child or young person to be a racist asshole?

Is Person B a racist asshole for saying it should be ok to be a racist asshole?

Remember, the initial email didn't ban racist outfits.  It reminded people that it would be a good idea not to wear offensive costumes, like blackface.  The response email said, "Is there no room anymore for a child or young person to be a little bit obnoxious... or, yes, offensive?"  She is flat out saying it should be OK for students to wear racially offensive costumes if they want to.

So much this.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 12, 2015, 08:38:06 PM
It also has not escaped my notice, although it may have escaped yours, that you seem to have a hotbutton reaction wherever issues of racism arise. All of a sudden, individual freedom becomes tremendously important to you, and you're ready to put someone down for being a sheeple and kowtowing to political correctness. That raises some red flags.

And I'm someone who got into it with Roger over banning someone just for calling me nigger, so don't go trotting out the old tired accusations you used on Twid. I agreed with you about freedom of speech; what I didn't agree with is you attacking someone and calling them names purely for re-evaluating their position in light of evidence they hadn't yet considered. That's some cowardly, insecure behavior, right there.

Actually, I banned him for calling anyone that.  This is still something which I disagree with most of the admins on.  Freedom of speech does not imply that I have to let a Nazi preach his shit in my living room.  I don't believe in giving blatant racists house room.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 12, 2015, 08:40:29 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 12, 2015, 08:38:06 PM

Actually, I banned him for calling anyone that.  This is still something which I disagree with most of the admins on.  Freedom of speech does not imply that I have to let a Nazi preach his shit in my living room.  I don't believe in giving blatant racists house room.

Right, I just happened to be the person that he chose to direct his bigoted vomit at.

I wasn't even here that day, if I recall.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Anyway, the thing about screeching "freedom of speech!" every time an individual or institution says "Bigotry is unwelcome on my property" is that the First Amendment simply doesn't apply to a lot of situations. This board, for example. People are still free as ever to be giant, moronic, frothing bigots, but that doesn't  mean they can stand in my living room and scream their bigotry in my ear.

Sounds like Yale wasn't even trying to prohibit bigoted costumes, it was merely discouraging them. FFS.

LMNO

Not to mention, while a person is legally allowed to be an asshole racist, it is also legally allowed for someone else to berate, insult, protest, and yell at that person.

Which, it should be pointed out, is exactly what happened.