News:

You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for PD.com.

Main Menu

Body Worlds plans cadaver show dedicated to sex

Started by ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞, September 13, 2009, 10:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimocritus

I actually saw something similar (at least I don't think it was the same organization) called "Human Bodies Revealed" or something along those lines. It was alright, I suppose, but what kind of irked me in the end is that this is what you get when you donate your body to "science." You're sliced up, dyed with chemicals, with parts of you corroded off with other chemicals and you're put on the road as part of a traveling freak show. Hey, waitaminit, maybe there is some future for the Juggalo's after all...
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dimo1138 on September 17, 2009, 08:22:06 PM
I actually saw something similar (at least I don't think it was the same organization) called "Human Bodies Revealed" or something along those lines. It was alright, I suppose, but what kind of irked me in the end is that this is what you get when you donate your body to "science." You're sliced up, dyed with chemicals, with parts of you corroded off with other chemicals and you're put on the road as part of a traveling freak show. Hey, waitaminit, maybe there is some future for the Juggalo's after all...

Um, no.

Most of the time, you end up being dissected by students.

You have to donate your body specifically for Body Worlds to take it. Other plastinating projects accept body donors and unidentified corpses, but that's a pretty small group compared to the ones who end up a head on a tray getting a posthumous eyelid tuck by would-be plastic surgeons.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Dimocritus

Quote from: Nigel on September 17, 2009, 08:36:44 PM
Quote from: Dimo1138 on September 17, 2009, 08:22:06 PM

Um, no.

You have to donate your body specifically for Body Worlds to take it. Other plastinating projects accept body donors and unidentified corpses, but that's a pretty small group compared to the ones who end up a head on a tray getting a posthumous eyelid tuck by would-be plastic surgeons.

Then I must be misinformed. I was under the impression that you don't have a say in where your body goes if you donate it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

For fuck's sake, Dimo, put down the Ayn Rand and learn to read.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Dimocritus

Fuck Ayn Rand (never read a book of hers in my life. Which, I suppose, would result in me not getting the joke), Telemachus Sneezed is where it's at.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Body Worlds will only take your corpse if it was donated to Body Worlds. Other than a tiny percentage of donated or unidentified corpses that have been plastinated in other programs, the vast majority of donated corpses end up being dissected by students or body farmed.

So no, plastination is not "what you get" when you donate your body to science. It is a remote possibility. As is ending up in the Federal Corpse Slice Project. Very, very remote.

Dimocritus

I don't think the exhibit I saw (simply "Bodies Revealed." No "Human") was associated with Body Worlds. They seemed to focus a lot on selling you over-priced merchandise at the one I went to.

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

which one is the one with all the unclaimed bodies from china?

Dimocritus

Quote from: Fredtastic! on September 17, 2009, 09:04:14 PM
which one is the one with all the unclaimed bodies from china?

Y'know what, now that you mention it, the one I saw "Bodies Revealed," might be the one. My drummer just went with his girlfriend and he said that one of the people running the place had said something about them coming from China.

Dimocritus

Yep. That's the one. Although, they're claiming that they're not using the bodies of Chinese criminals anymore.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=4291334&page=1

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yes, Bodies Revealed has their dissection and plastination done in China and uses both body donors and unidentified corpses.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Fucking hell Dimo, how many times DO you have to do over the same material before you get it?  :lulz:

Quote from: Nigel on September 17, 2009, 08:36:44 PM

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

There is this great book called "Stiff" that talks about what happens to corpses. Also there is a lot of information on the Internet.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

There is also "Bodies: The Exhibition" and I think those are the guys who were getting some of their corpses from Chinese prisons.

Edit: Gunther von Hagens is the Body Worlds guy. As far as I can tell the Bodies Revealed people are the same as the Bodies: The Exhibition" people and they still get corpses from China.