News:

CAN'T A BROTHER GET A LITTLE PEACE?

Main Menu

These new pseudo-vampires...

Started by Epimetheus, September 14, 2009, 06:05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Epimetheus

A friend of mine complained that vampires are no longer badass due to Stephanie Meyer's books.
I disagree.
I think it depends on those who talk about them. If we want vampires to stay badass, we just need to stop calling these newer pitiful bloodsucking things "vampires."

As for what to call them? I suggest "hematophags."
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

rong

"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

rong

Cain

Vampires have always sucked.  Even Joss Whedon could only make vampires scary for two seasons, before moving onto demonic nasties.

rong

The Good Reverend Roger

There were three (3) good vampire stories/movies.

1.  Bram Stoker's Dracula.

2.  Nosferatu.

3.  Stephen King's Salem's Lot.

Everything else has been wankery.  Everything.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

The Good Reverend Roger

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I gotta say, I don't think the original Dracula novel was any good.

I have heard that Carmilla was better.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Enki v. 2.0 on September 14, 2009, 08:32:38 PM
I gotta say, I don't think the original Dracula novel was any good.

Yeah, but I've seen the pics you imagewall with.  Your credibility on this subject is questionable at best.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Meh. The fact that everything was in diary or letter format by definition removed the suspense. It wasn't enough for Stoker to have some letters/diary entries and then allow the reader to realize that someone must have survived to tell the tale -- he insists upon having characters write letters to other characters WHILE being attacked by vampires.

Also, Carmilla had lesbians.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.