News:

Remember, its all a sociological experiment.  "You are doing exactly as I planned. My god you are all so predictable."  Repeat until you believe it.

Main Menu

ANARCHISM: The Thread!

Started by Rococo Modem Basilisk, September 17, 2009, 12:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fomenter

the difference between anarchy and rational anarchy have been pretty well covered...
any one who claims there should be no government  or that the USA=Somalia
   hasn't been paying attention to what has been said so far, and probably earned some grief..
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Halfbaked1

Okay, I am guessing that what I said has been misunderstood and that I have epic failed at trying to convey my sentiments.  Let me try to explain without my characteristic snarkiness and sarcasm.

1.  I didn't say the coffee was undrinkable, just that they want too much for coffee.  As though it were extracted from the teet of a god/goddess.  The pretentiousness of the names they give coffee was another point, but who is really the crazy one?  Starbucks for selling coffee for $5 a pop, or the people who pay $5 for a cup joe?

2.  I am very aware of the plight of actual third world countries, I am saying that the States are headed there if they don't do something.  The fact that I am tired of waiting is why I am an Anarchist of some sort because I think that we need a radical restructuring to accomplish anything.

3.  As I live in a place where any non accepted political practices are considered very UNCOOL, I have had NO exposure to other people of truly anarchistic tendencies.  Thus I have had to piece together my own ideals and concepts. 

My beliefs are essentially Discordian and I agree with most things that are said here, but I also have my own mind about things and I truly do not care if you lot disapprove.  But I felt that what I had said was not represented well so I have taken this time to clarify.  Perhaps I am not truly an Anarchist, I don't know, I haven't had the opportunity to find out until now.  Perhaps being a Discordian is enough.  I don't know, but I am trying to find out and I appreciate the...critiques of what I thought.

fomenter

Quote from: Halfbaked1 on September 19, 2009, 09:37:09 PM

2.  I am very aware of the plight of actual third world countries, I am saying that the States are headed there if they don't do something.  The fact that I am tired of waiting is why I am an Anarchist of some sort because I think that we need a radical restructuring to accomplish anything.

the plight of the third world, and some rusting infrastructure and the crime level we have here have little or nothing in common.

a radical restructuring is not anarchy, and if you think that what would rise up out of anarchy is better than what we have now you are nuts
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Requia ☣ on September 19, 2009, 07:51:14 PM
Quote from: Nigel on September 19, 2009, 06:39:04 PM
Also, having worked at what was at the time Portland's best (award-winning) roaster for about five years, as a barista, as a tea and spice blendmaster, and as a coffee taster and purchasing assistant, I have very little patience for people who pretend Starbucks coffee is undrinkable swill in order to appear "counterculture".

It's not excellent coffee, it's all overroasted (their definition of "Full City" is everyone else's definition of "Italian", for fuck's sake) but it's decent, consistent, and completely drinkable.

The company itself is pretty remarkably ethical, pays decently, and gives full-time benefits at 20 hours. They also engage in fair trade and buy directly from growers. Furthermore, their presence in a neighborhood ensures that any nearby indie coffee shop will do better business

Fucking anarchists.

I'll concede Starbucks beans are drinkable, but the last time I got coffee there the cup was full of coffee grounds, its the brewing not the beans they suck at.  (Indie coffee shops I've been to have the same problem, even though a lot of them use the exact blends/brands I usually drink).

7.75/hr while disallowing full time status is a decent wage?  You'd make more doing minimum wage full time.

Your local has a problem, apparently.

Also. Um. They hire full time, but start giving benefits at half time. And it may be $7.75 to start where you are but it's over ten here. And it's NATIONAL CHAIN FOOD SERVICE, basically... so are you really complaining that they start at just a couple bucks above minimum? They've always paid as well as or better than local espresso shops, around here anyway.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Eater of Clowns

1.  I didn't say the coffee was undrinkable, just that they want too much for coffee.  As though it were extracted from the teet of a god/goddess.  The pretentiousness of the names they give coffee was another point, but who is really the crazy one?  Starbucks for selling coffee for $5 a pop, or the people who pay $5 for a cup joe?

Starbucks coffee, per ounce, is cheaper than Dunkin' Donuts and quite a few other chains.  The price goes up for their small batch coffees, which are increasingly brewed in a Clover machine that makes one cup at a time and costs $11,000 in addition to having the beans come from A SINGLE source, making it the coffee equivalent of a single malt scotch.  Then it costs more for making a latte or a cappucino.

Regular ol' drop coffee, though?  Pretty reasonable if you don't mind it tasting a little burnt.  And Nigel's dead on about their treatment of employees and their trade practicies.  It's one of the most ethically sound chains you're likely to find.

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I'm out of the running on the starbucks question. I think all coffee is undrinkable.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Halfbaked1 on September 19, 2009, 09:47:48 AM
HA!  We have people breaking into houses all the time now doing all the stuff that you mention Jenne.  And most of the time they either get away or get slaps on the wrist, depending on whether the ACLU decides to step in on the behalf of some lame ass git that they think has lived an underpriveleged life. 

Goddamn, you're a fucking moron.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Broken AI on September 20, 2009, 10:37:14 AMYeah Halfbaked1! fight the power!

stick it to the man!

Anarchy is the only viable option!

You should convince your neighbors and friends IRL that this is the way to go. I suggest petrol bombing a police station, just so's we all know that the revolutions gonna start comrade, and we'll all totally back you up dude.

Power to the tipton massive!

Fuck you BAI! praise the Power!

bring the Man some slippers and a Pipe!

Bureaucracy is the only viable option!

You should convince your clerks and collegues that this is the way it should stay. I suggest getting a coffee at the nearest Starbucks, just so's we all show the revolutions doomed hipster, and we will drink overpriced coffee with ground up bits in it and fucking like it.

What's on TV tonight?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Halfbaked1

Yup!  I am a moron. :mrgreen:
But luckily i am a genius compared to the morons that I live around, so i don't fuckin care dude.  Sooner or later we are all morons and most of us don't care.  I do wish I were more of a moron so that I wouldn't see the world going to hell sans hand basket, but I do.  So all I can say is get over it TGRR, but you did give me a smile so thanks, now I can go all sleepy time.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

The purpose of revolution is to make people feel like they can move while keeping them where they are. Take that as you will; I am operating on three or four hours of restless sleep and I'm glad I can put together a sentence with capital letters, a verb, and punctuation.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Triple Zero

Not bad! You even got a semicolon in :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

The Good Reverend Roger

3.  As I live in a place where any non accepted political practices are considered very UNCOOL, I have had NO exposure to other people of truly anarchistic tendencies.  Thus I have had to piece together my own ideals and concepts. 

1.  Discordianism does not equal anarchism.

2.  You struggled and worked to piece together your own ideals and concepts, and then flushed it all down the shitter by labeling yourself...and what's more, labeling yourself an anarchist?  HAW HAW! 

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Halfbaked1 on September 20, 2009, 12:07:44 PM
Yup!  I am a moron. :mrgreen:
But luckily i am a genius compared to the morons that I live around, so i don't fuckin care dude.  Sooner or later we are all morons and most of us don't care.  I do wish I were more of a moron so that I wouldn't see the world going to hell sans hand basket, but I do.  So all I can say is get over it TGRR, but you did give me a smile so thanks, now I can go all sleepy time.

Yes, the ACLU is your enemy, the cops only arrest innocent people, and Rush Limbaugh will explain it all to you later.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Triple Zero on September 20, 2009, 11:28:38 AM
Quote from: Broken AI on September 20, 2009, 10:37:14 AMYeah Halfbaked1! fight the power!

stick it to the man!

You should convince your neighbors and friends IRL that this is the way to go. I suggest petrol bombing a police station, just so's we all know that the revolutions gonna start comrade, and we'll all totally back you up dude.

You should convince your clerks and collegues that this is the way it should stay. I suggest getting a coffee at the nearest Starbucks, just so's we all show the revolutions doomed hipster, and we will drink overpriced coffee with ground up bits in it and fucking like it.

What's on TV tonight?

Fuck you both!  Poomp in the gears!

Don't let the man know you exist!

Bureaucracy is your best ally!

You should remember that human politics are for humans, anarchy is politics for French gits who hold their cigarettes backward and complain of ennui, and coffee is THE ONLY GOD YOU NEED (well, except when you need rain).

What's for dinner, you fucks?

Payne

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 20, 2009, 04:36:08 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on September 20, 2009, 11:28:38 AM

stick it to the man!

What's on TV tonight?

Fuck you both!  Poomp in the gears!

Don't let the man know you exist!

Bureaucracy is your best ally!

You should remember that human politics are for humans, anarchy is politics for French gits who hold their cigarettes backward and complain of ennui, and coffee is THE ONLY GOD YOU NEED (well, except when you need rain).

What's for dinner, you fucks?

Fuck you all! Rub my ass, a genie will pop out and give you three wishes!

A man is as good as a woman, in a pinch, but neither are as good as a plump sheep!

Bureaucracy is paying the farmer to let you loose in his fields for a couple hours, no questions asked! IT PWNS!

You should convince everyone that it's not wrong if it's FILMED, preferably in SWEDEN!

I just ate my latest partner with couscous. Very Moroccan.