News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

Hopelessly Optimistic Advice for New People Who Won't Listen.

Started by Payne, September 17, 2009, 08:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

fomenter

i agree it needs to be said with a sense of humor, not a we are superior and you shouldn't even bother trying attitude,
i thought this was a edits and ideas thread to work it out and not final version,
a bunch of ideas thrown out by different people arent going to have the humor that a piece written by one person that contains them would
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Payne

Pope Pixie Pickle

cram's edit was reasonable, non confrontational, and accurate, I likes it, although payne's stuff about essentially being yourself needs to be stated.

The Good Reverend Roger

I can only agree to amendments if they can be demonstrated to wound peoples' inner child.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

MMIX

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 20, 2009, 06:28:43 PM
I can only agree to amendments if they can be demonstrated to wound peoples' inner child.

Fuck you - my mother died of a wounded inner child . . .
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

hooplala

I like Cram's intro, although I think it should say "Mostly" action oriented.  I personally haven't done squat in a long-ass time.  I keep planning to, though.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cramulus

From the thread "Missions, Goals, Objectives"

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on March 28, 2009, 11:57:42 PM
When I took this place over, the idea was that PD.com would be the place where we could "organize" (I use the term loosely) and bend our collective will towards collaborative projects both online and IRL. People who wanted to do nothing but chat idly and talk about what they just ate/listened to/stuck up their ass could do that at EB&G.

That's not to mean that nobody should ever engage in idle chatter at PD.com (obviously) but the idle chatter seems to have attained a kudzu-like quality. If people are uncomfortable with the idea of discordians organizing and getting "serious", they're free to go elsewhere. EB&G would be my first suggestion. They're also free to stay and make meaningful contributions or not, but I will react harshly to anyone who suggests that PD.com should not be the type of forum where we have some larger "big picture" goals and objectives.

hooplala

I guess I should truck my ass to EB&G then!

lata skatas
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cramulus on September 20, 2009, 05:37:37 PM
I agree with Cain. If this was the first thread I'd read on PD I never would have registered.

"Don't talk about physics, we're already smarter than you! And by the way, keep that collegeboy philosophy-talk in the classroom.
Get ready for a fight! We're going to rip you a new one, are you ready?"

:boring:

maybe try talking about what we want the board to be like
and what we like discussing
instead of a long list of things we find shitty, and will find shitty again

I think all the don't don't don't don't don't
makes us sound like nitpicky pretentious fuckwits

ah well, here's my attempt

Quote from: Cramulus on September 17, 2009, 10:40:30 PM
Welcome to the Principia Discordia forums.

It's hard to say much about this place because it contains both some of the brilliant and moust foul minds of all Discordia. We are a Discordian Society. Not THE Discordian Society!

If you stick around for long enough, you'll form an opinion of this board. This opinion varies based on what parts of the board you engage in. I'm talking about specifically what what vibes and energies you deal with. If you come in and tell everybody that they're doing it wrong, or that they should be acting differently, they're going to push back. But if you come in with creativity, flexibility, and humor, you'll generally have a good time.

If you find yourself having a bad time, it's a good idea to take a break, lurk the board some more, and find a new angle. If you post hostility, people will reciprocate it.

This board has been around for a long time. So there's certain behaviors we've seen over and over again. Here are a few notes that will keep you avoid falling into the turd cycle:

• There are certain things which have already been discussed to death. Use the search function.

• People here are very straight forward. If you post something people don't like, they will be very honest about it. Honest feedback is necessary for the creative process. Art, writing, ideas, meme bombs, mindfucks, all these things need to be discussed until they're polished kallisti gold. Sometimes this seems harsh. But it's necessary to keep the fluff down.

• Behaviors exhibited by a few individuals are not necessarily shared by the whole group of us. You may conclude that some of us are shitheads. This is fine. But as soon as you say "This board is full of shitheads!" you've lumped in a lot of innocent bystanders.

• The internet isn't really serious buisness. All of us are just words on a screen until you decide we're something more. We're as real as you let us be.

The best thing about this board, in my opinion, is that it's action oriented. This isn't a board where everybody just talks about big plans and never does them. There are lots of projects, pranks, and other shenanigans you can actually participate in. We've found that this board becomes extremely fun when everybody is doing each other's projects. This type of organization and action makes PD something more than just an internet forum.

We have a presence in many cities. We meet up in real life. People have flown all over the world to meet other Discordians they met via PD. I've made posters that people in over 10 countries have distributed. If there actually is a global Discordian society, this is one of them. This forum kicks ass in that way.

OMGASM, Intermittens, the Black Iron Prison, and many other big fun projects all grew out of this fertile soil. I've been to the edge of the internet, and I've never seen a meeting of minds anything like it. It also sucks balls sometimes, but hey, that's the human condition.

I like this one.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Hoopla on September 30, 2009, 08:19:22 PM
I guess I should truck my ass to EB&G then!

lata skatas
I interpreted ECH as expressing a preference, but saying that essentially any form of participation was "valid" - he said that he would react harshly to people trying to make it only about one thing. Isn't that the point of a community - that it requires different forms of input and feedback loops to thrive?

The Good Reverend Roger

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 18, 2009, 05:53:41 PM
Quote from: Nigel on September 18, 2009, 04:57:22 PM
You are as good a writer as Sepia/Brennschluss, in my opinion. Your style and voice are radically different, which is a good thing. It would be a crying shame if everyone (or anyone) here tried to change their voice to sound like Sepia, because then there would be too damn much of that and it wouldn't be unique and interesting anymore.

And, frankly, it's a difficult style to read, so to pull it off you have to be damn good at it and what you're trying to convey has to work with it. 

Yes, it is a difficult read, but it's a style I happen to enjoy.  Imagine HP Lovecraft, if Lovecraft actually had something to say.

I am now very curious.  Is his stuff more likely to be in bring and brag, or rants, or somewhere else?
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

the last yatto

its reason like the above that i still think sepia should get his own subforum  :fap:
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit