The ghost fleet of the recession anchored just east of Singapore

Started by Triple Zero, September 18, 2009, 04:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 18, 2009, 06:57:29 PM
Quote from: Nigel on September 18, 2009, 06:50:55 PM
Somebody's going to have to invent teleportation right soon now.

Yeah, so we can start teleporting bombs into each others' capitols.

:lulz:

TGRR,
Understands monkeys.

Oh, it'll be much worse than that. If the general populace have the ability to move about the globe unrestricted, borders and governments will lose all meaning.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on September 18, 2009, 07:24:03 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 18, 2009, 06:57:29 PM
Quote from: Nigel on September 18, 2009, 06:50:55 PM
Somebody's going to have to invent teleportation right soon now.

Yeah, so we can start teleporting bombs into each others' capitols.

:lulz:

TGRR,
Understands monkeys.

Oh, it'll be much worse than that. If the general populace have the ability to move about the globe unrestricted, borders and governments will lose all meaning.

Or we'll wind up with one really big government.

muhaha
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Very likely... but with a virtually unpolicable population. Actually, first thing that would happen is we'd all get chipped.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Its been a long day, and I'm cranky.  I thought my point was pretty clear.

Sorry Nigel

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I figured you were making a joke.

Sometimes I react to jokes by taking them completely literally.

What point were you trying to make? I did not see one. Also I did not see any metaphor.

Cain

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Truth. And I imagine that would be a major factor preventing a tyrranical government from forming... no tyrant would survive long enough to impose a tyrrany.

Cain

Well, tyrannicide is actually only a cure for a single ill, but yeah.

Anyway, Roger's point about the infrastructure rings scarily true.  This means, even if the economy does recover enough to be able to cause demand, there won't be the stuff in place to allow for mass spending like there was previously, whether or not we think that is a good thing.

I wonder what will go next?  Presumably, the thing to do will be to watch how Singapore, Hong Kong and other major trading cities cope with the massively lowered amount of trade, and see how that would apply to us.

Jenne

Less goods, which also become more expensive.  I guess in general it's a great thing that the US is turning their debt around and saving more...they're going to need it if their buying power's going to be maintained in any way, shape or form.

What I'm wondering now is if "buying power" will cease to be the leading indicator of wealth since it's obviously overtaken GNP/GDP the last 2 decades.

Triple Zero

another bright point: with less stuff moving around all over the globe, swine flu will be less wide spread

ok its a far shot, and doesnt really make sense. meh.

but still, how many people can live inside such a cargo ship if you decorate the lot a littlebit? i'm kind of thinking of an industrial techno rave cruise :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

fomenter

rogers point makes it a tough idea to make a reality,
maintenance upkeep fuel and knowledgeable crew aren't cheap , how many offshore gambling nights, pirate raids smuggling trips do you need to make each month to keep it afloat crewed, gassed up to travel and supporting the hippie discordian floating party??
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Triple Zero

no, for 4000 you buy the boat, but for 7000 you charter it for one trip transporting cargo (which would include fuel and maintenance and shit cause normally you'd pay that for the cargo to get wherever it's supposed to go?).

hell no way im gonna run a boat myself.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Rumckle

surely with all the various skills we have on here, we must have a few able seamen (giggle)
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

fomenter

Quote from: Triple Zero on September 19, 2009, 12:26:33 AM
no, for 4000 you buy the boat, but for 7000 you charter it for one trip transporting cargo (which would include fuel and maintenance and shit cause normally you'd pay that for the cargo to get wherever it's supposed to go?).

hell no way im gonna run a boat myself.

the direction things are going (and looking at the already low price of tickets ) we may be able to charter a luxury cruse liner for almost the same price soon....
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp