The ghost fleet of the recession anchored just east of Singapore

Started by Triple Zero, September 18, 2009, 04:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Hmmm but that has a less cool cyberpunkish industrial adventure feel to it. Gotta think of the image right :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Faust

Quote from: Broken AI on September 19, 2009, 11:12:14 AM
oh come on.

theres got to be more than 400 people here with 10 euros to spare each.

HMS Discordia?

Eh yeah, I'll collect for it  :lol:, everyone please send me 10 euros and I will reward you with a magical discordian cruise liner.
I won't pocket the cash.
I swear.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

Quote from: Rumckle on September 19, 2009, 01:27:20 AM
surely with all the various skills we have on here, we must have a few able seamen (giggle)

I have a friend who has passed all the required tests to captain a yacht and small boat.  I've picked up a few tips, and know how to tie knots and navigate.

fomenter

i am sure after a few trips back and forth across the pond we could learn enough to take control with a mutiny, and then we just shangi the hand full of sailors we need for the rest..

"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Triple Zero

e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: fomenter on September 18, 2009, 11:44:50 PM
rogers point makes it a tough idea to make a reality,
maintenance upkeep fuel and knowledgeable crew aren't cheap , how many offshore gambling nights, pirate raids smuggling trips do you need to make each month to keep it afloat crewed, gassed up to travel and supporting the hippie discordian floating party??

Wow.  Someone listened.

I have to screenshot this.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 20, 2009, 04:41:14 PM
maintenance upkeep fuel and knowledgeable crew aren't cheap , how many offshore gambling nights, pirate raids smuggling trips do you need to make each month to keep it afloat crewed, gassed up to travel and supporting the hippie discordian floating party??

Wow.  Someone listened.

STOP KILLING OUR FANTASIES!  :argh!:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Broken AI on September 20, 2009, 11:59:59 AM

We should do one of those fonzi scheme thingys. heeeeeeey!

:lulz:

"Discordia cruise & rape systems PLC"

I really want to register that as a DBA.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 20, 2009, 04:41:14 PM

Wow.  Someone listened.

OKAY OKAY NO HAPPY FUN PARTY CRUISE

HERE IS MORE BAD NEWS FOR YOU MR GRUMPY YELLOW PILL

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/thousands-rusting-ship-hulls-are-fitting-tribute-speculative-market-bubble

apparently it's not just near singapore but at quiet and less quiet locations all around the world.

WHOOPIE YAY

- triple zero,
now realizes if he wanted to make creative holiday plans, he shouldnt have posted in Aneristic Elusions.

Triple Zero

Just one question that immediately pops into my questioning mind. See, right now everybody (or at least a couple of smart reporters) are looking at vesseltracker and googlemaps for these ships and discovering huge clumps of inactive ships.

But pretty much nobody (at least no reporter) was looking before.

How irregular is this situation? How do we know these guys didn't just discover some well-known cargo-ship parking lots?

Or maybe a better question, cause I don't really doubt that this is irregular, how long has this situation been already? How was it a month ago? Three months? Last year?

Triple Zero

hm indeed, according to some comments elsewhere, a large amount of the "dead" ships are simply waiting until there's place for them to dock and unload.

a lot of the ones in the zerohedge link, that is. however in the DailyMail pics we can see the ships near Singapore floating high above the waterline. So they are empty, but as long as we don't have pics of the others, they might just be waiting in line.

another comment, seemingly confirming my doubts:
http://www.zerohedge.com/article/thousands-rusting-ship-hulls-are-fitting-tribute-speculative-market-bubble#comment-73186

Another commenter at geenstijl.nl did some calculations (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_merchant_marine_capacity_by_country) to estimate a lowerbound on the global cargo fleet and came up with at least 34,822 ships in 2007 (if we are to believe the DailyMail article this number could have only grown since then).
Now if we were gonna believe DailyMail's article--that was just about the Singapore ghostfleet, mind you--12% of this number means about 4,200 ships laying still. Was it that many in front of Singapore? I got the impression they were talking about a few hundred or so?

(Also, (from the zerohedge article) "Most shocking is the situation around the Bosporus: the transit corridor between Russia and the rest of the world is orders of magnitude worse than even the Singapore case.", I hate hate HATE it when people fucking do that. An order of magnitude is an exponential measure, doubling or usually 10-fold. If you say orders of magnitude, plural, we're talking about 100 or 1000 times, which is bullshit. You could say "about an order of magnitude" but it wouldnt sound as scary? hrmzzfrg)

Reginald Ret

ships are becoming cheaper, so HAPPY FUN PARTY CRUISE could still happen.
It sounds like a larger version of my plan to get a seaworthy sailing ship for free.
I'll keep an eye out for ships that get dumped because the owners cant afford to keep them anymore.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Regret on September 21, 2009, 10:39:23 AM
ships are becoming cheaper, so HAPPY FUN PARTY CRUISE could still happen.
It sounds like a larger version of my plan to get a seaworthy sailing ship for free.
I'll keep an eye out for ships that get dumped because the owners cant afford to keep them anymore.

If I buy one, I'm just gonna use it to ram the Golden Gate Bridge.

Because they wouldn't rename it after Joshua Norton.

I haven't forgotten anything, Your Majesty.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.