News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "Spoiled brats of the pagan world, I thought. I really don't have a lot of respect for Discordians. They just strike me as spiritually lazy."

Main Menu

Someone explain to me...

Started by Kai, September 18, 2009, 07:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corvidia

Quote from: Cain on September 18, 2009, 08:56:57 PM
I never hear anything interesting like that.

Then again, the last school my mother was working at costs more to go to per term than the average yearly income in the UK.  So I hear stories about parents showing up with bodyguards to pay in cash for their child's tuition, the nightlife in Ankara, what the Queen's sense of humour is like, etc
Interesting? I'm sorry, but no. Gang violence, drugs, mental illness, and extreme poverty are not interesting when they happen to or affect kids in negative ways. I don't start laughing at people or being interested in their misery until they have at least some control over their lives.

Quote from: Jenne on September 18, 2009, 09:00:22 PM
Quote from: The Nerve-Ending Fairy on September 18, 2009, 08:54:26 PM
Quote from: Jenne on September 18, 2009, 08:45:06 PM
Also:  schools are at least a place where a kid who doesn't get fed or get medical care at home can get some.  Ask a school nurse in urban schools about this someday.  It's pretty mind-blowing...
^This. My mother teaches in a very poor school and I hear all sorts of things. Like access to psychologist. I've heard some horror stories about what her kids have seen at home and at least this way they have someone to talk to about it (one kid she has this year saw a man shot in the head--he said the resulting mess looked like a broken egg). Plus, teachers are required to call child services if they suspect abuse which isn't something they get if it weren't for public schooling.

In addition to a distinct lack of compassion, I'll add that I've noticed in libertarians the idea that "if you're poor, it's your fault." They don't seem to take circumstances into account.

Irony being:  a lot of THEM are not too well off either.  That kind of shit always amazes me.
Yeah, I don't get it either.
One for sorrow,
Two for joy,
Three for a girl,
Four for a boy,
Five for silver,
Six for gold,
Seven for a secret never to be told.

Cain

Quote from: The Nerve-Ending Fairy on September 18, 2009, 09:18:56 PM
Interesting? I'm sorry, but no. Gang violence, drugs, mental illness, and extreme poverty are not interesting when they happen to or affect kids in negative ways.

Sure they are.  Interesting =/= good or morally right. 

Jenne

I think interesting is apt in Cain's case...there's only so much you can hear about the rich and unaffected, srsly.

The horror that is health care and education in the urban regions in the US is far far more interesting, especially in thinking about how to improve its problems, their causes, etc.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 18, 2009, 07:59:39 PM
Quote from: Doctor Rat Bastard on September 18, 2009, 07:56:37 PM
That is, while I find no compelling argument that the government can or should say "You can't make your own moonshine"

Other than a blind and/or insane population, I can't think of a single reason why, either.

Right, because that's why its illegal... not for revenue purposes, no not never. ;-)

Quote from: Nigel on September 18, 2009, 08:17:23 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 18, 2009, 07:59:39 PM
Quote from: Doctor Rat Bastard on September 18, 2009, 07:56:37 PM
That is, while I find no compelling argument that the government can or should say "You can't make your own moonshine"

Other than a blind and/or insane population, I can't think of a single reason why, either.

I believe that people should have a legal right to make or grow whatever they damn well want to make or grow, and consume it as they please, provided it doesn't pose a pubic hazard (distillery explosions, meth labs etc) because whether they get it right or poison themselves should be to them.

They should have to be inspected and licensed in order to SELL it, though.

100% Troof

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 18, 2009, 08:18:14 PM

Oh, yeah, I can agree with that.

Pfffft, just cause she is hot and I am not.

I grok your ways, old man.

:lulz:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

fomenter

here in CA "special education" has replaced heath care as the main provider of service for the handicap and disabled kids...

they get nurses to watch them clean them provide for their medical needs, buses to transport them, food to eat, a place to be all day (instead of being institutionalized) and there "education" is basically therapy, exercise swimming etc..
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

So I keep thinking about the libertarian mindset and why so many poor people seem to dislike government assistance.

And then it hit me... I think they may be like the paraplegic that refuses help to get into his wheelchair, even if he falls headfirst into the toilet trying to do it himself. Pride, insane pride... I DON'T NEED THE POOR DON'T NEED A GOVERNMENT HANDOUT.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Jenne

Quote from: ThatFomieDudehere in CA "special education" has replaced heath care as the main provider of service for the handicap and disabled kids...

they get nurses to watch them clean them provide for their medical needs, buses to transport them, a place to be all day (instead of being institutionalized) and there "education" is basically therapy, exercise swimming etc..

IEPs!  They're like the "Golden Ticket" of the health care and education systems nexus.

fomenter

here in sac one school district practically specializes in them (i cant recall the % but it its way high)...  closer to 100% than 51%..
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Corvidia

Quote from: Cain on September 18, 2009, 09:27:49 PM
Interesting? I'm sorry, but no. Gang violence, drugs, mental illness, and extreme poverty are not interesting when they happen to or affect kids in negative ways.

Sure they are.  Interesting =/= good or morally right.  
Point, I suppose. Now that I think about it, I guess it depends on what kind of "interesting." Interesting like "how do we fix this?" or car-crash interesting is ok or understandable, versus amusement. Sorry about that.
One for sorrow,
Two for joy,
Three for a girl,
Four for a boy,
Five for silver,
Six for gold,
Seven for a secret never to be told.

Cain

Quote from: Doctor Rat Bastard on September 18, 2009, 09:38:39 PM
So I keep thinking about the libertarian mindset and why so many poor people seem to dislike government assistance.

And then it hit me... I think they may be like the paraplegic that refuses help to get into his wheelchair, even if he falls headfirst into the toilet trying to do it himself. Pride, insane pride... I DON'T NEED THE POOR DON'T NEED A GOVERNMENT HANDOUT.

Being on government assistance is humiliating.  Usually the grunt level civil servants make no disguise of the personal distaste they have for you, there is a social stigma attached to taking handouts and, quite often, you have to be answerable about your actions in some degree or another to said civil servants about what you are doing when you are not around them (looking for work etc).

Quite often I suspect this is done on purpose exactly to play to that kind of pride, and to discourage people from taking the money in question.  I myself took pride in outwitting said civil servants, but that is a game that gets boring quickly.  I mean, they are civil servants, after all.

Cain

Quote from: The Nerve-Ending Fairy on September 18, 2009, 09:43:37 PM
Quote from: Cain on September 18, 2009, 09:27:49 PM

Sure they are.  Interesting =/= good or morally right.  
Point, I suppose. Now that I think about it, I guess it depends on what kind of "interesting." Interesting like "how do we fix this?" or car-crash interesting is ok or understandable, versus amusement. Sorry about that.

No problem.

Jenne

Quote from: fomenter on September 18, 2009, 09:42:28 PM
here in sac one school district practically specializes in them (i cant recall the % but it its way high)...  closer to 100% than 51%..

You know why this is such a big deal?

Unfunded mandates.

fomenter

they get fed money too, the more they expand the more they get...(part of how unfunded mandates get sold to the public i think)

libertarian wise i don't see the free market taking this new function of education over..

hmroogp

Jenne

Quote from: fomenter on September 18, 2009, 09:51:30 PM
they get fed money too, the more they expand the more they get...(part of how unfunded mandates get sold to the public i think)

libertarian wise i don't see the free market taking this new function of education over..

except there are those counties, like mine, that sue t he shit out of the state in order to get more funding out of that entity for these new adventures in federal laws.

fomenter

ours drop services to the regular students, increase class sizes, lay off teachers etc and barely touch or don't touch special ed ( goose/golden egg)

hmroogp