News:

PD.com: We occur at random among your children.

Main Menu

Tomorrow I visit Cow Island

Started by AFK, September 16, 2009, 08:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on September 18, 2009, 04:17:32 PM
Cow Island was a blast.  In the morning we had an "Amazing Race" style game.  We were divided into two teams.  We were each given a packet with a riddle/clue, a map, and a GPS unit to help navigate the island.  The clue had GPS coordinates and then the riddle was to help us find the next clue that was hidden at the location.  Now, I could see a lot of people who would organize something like this and use some lame-ass, easy clues.  But no, these folks were clever.  First off, the GPS unit was a red herring, because the map had coordinates on it, and we could only stay on the paths.  For one of the clues we were given a cryptograph and then a multiple choice quiz.  The answers were filled in on this 6x6 grid.  They made it look like the grid was supposed to help you interpret the cryptograph, when really, all we had to do was write the alphabet in two lines of 13 letters and then replace letters accordingly.  Anyway, it was a lot of fun, and of course, my team won.  The rest of the day was lunch and just chilling out on this beautiful island, completely devoid of modern facilities and trappings. 

"That was, until the cows came.  We didn't see them arrive, but rather felt their presence.  We turned, seeing them on the hill above.  Watching us.  The sun was setting, and there was a menacing feel in the air."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on September 18, 2009, 06:58:36 PM
Cow Island was a blast.  In the morning we had an "Amazing Race" style game.  We were divided into two teams.  We were each given a packet with a riddle/clue, a map, and a GPS unit to help navigate the island.  The clue had GPS coordinates and then the riddle was to help us find the next clue that was hidden at the location.  Now, I could see a lot of people who would organize something like this and use some lame-ass, easy clues.  But no, these folks were clever.  First off, the GPS unit was a red herring, because the map had coordinates on it, and we could only stay on the paths.  For one of the clues we were given a cryptograph and then a multiple choice quiz.  The answers were filled in on this 6x6 grid.  They made it look like the grid was supposed to help you interpret the cryptograph, when really, all we had to do was write the alphabet in two lines of 13 letters and then replace letters accordingly.  Anyway, it was a lot of fun, and of course, my team won.  The rest of the day was lunch and just chilling out on this beautiful island, completely devoid of modern facilities and trappings. 

"That was, until the cows came.  We didn't see them arrive, but rather felt their presence.  We turned, seeing them on the hill above.  Watching us.  The sun was setting, and there was a menacing feel in the air."

...and I alone am alive to tell thee...
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

AFK

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 18, 2009, 06:56:16 PM
The rest of the day was lunch and just chilling out on this beautiful island, completely devoid of modern facilities and trappings. 

Where did you poomp?

They had out-houses.  Or in the tree-hugging vernacular, "Compost Toilets" 

They were fucking outhouses.  But they had Purell. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Jenne

Cow Island was a blast.  In the morning we had an "Amazing Race" style game.  We were divided into two teams.  We were each given a packet with a riddle/clue, a map, and a GPS unit to help navigate the island.  The clue had GPS coordinates and then the riddle was to help us find the next clue that was hidden at the location.  Now, I could see a lot of people who would organize something like this and use some lame-ass, easy clues.  But no, these folks were clever.  First off, the GPS unit was a red herring, because the map had coordinates on it, and we could only stay on the paths.  For one of the clues we were given a cryptograph and then a multiple choice quiz.  The answers were filled in on this 6x6 grid.  They made it look like the grid was supposed to help you interpret the cryptograph, when really, all we had to do was write the alphabet in two lines of 13 letters and then replace letters accordingly.  Anyway, it was a lot of fun, and of course, my team won.  The rest of the day was lunch and just chilling out on this beautiful island, completely devoid of modern facilities and trappings.  

"That was, until the cows came.  We didn't see them arrive, but rather felt their presence.  We turned, seeing them on the hill above.  Watching us.  The sun was setting, and there was a menacing feel in the air."

:lulz:

And Rog, I'd thought to ask that question, just didn't.  I'm :lulz: ing that RWHN had such a ready answer too.

AFK

Quote from: Jenne on September 18, 2009, 08:39:06 PM

:lulz:

And Rog, I'd thought to ask that question, just didn't.  I'm :lulz:ing that RWHN had such a ready answer too.

One of the activities for the afternoon was an opportunity to kayak back, across the ocean, to the mainland.  A gang of 8 or 9 decided to do so.  The only drawback, the guy leading them back was also the only guy licensed to drive the boat that was going to take the rest of us back to one of the larger islands to catch the ferry back to Portland.  As it turned out, not everyone who decided to kayak was especially adept, and so it took them a bit longer to get back to mainland Maine.  Thus, the rest of us were stranded on the island for a good hour longer than we were supposed to be.  But, all in all, a fine adventure. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.