News:

The End of the World is Coming, and YOU MAY DIE

Main Menu

Started by Dimocritus, September 22, 2009, 04:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimocritus

I went to see this movie, "9," with a few friends. It's a computer animated, fun film geared towards younger folk, and to my surprise, it contained a lot of Illuminati/Discordian references in it. For instance, the main villain was a robotic version of Leviathan from the Illuminatus. It was roughly triangular in shape with one giant red eye and out of each corner were two robotic "tentacles." It was simply called "The Machine" and it existed to make everything into robots. The number 5 also played a role in the ending sequence (I won't spoil it just in case any one wants to watch it). Both "The Machine" and the protagonists were made by the same person (very Hagbard Celine-ish). It also contained some other cool symbolism, like the character #1, who initially used a fear based doctrine to "protect" the others, was dressed in robes similar to the catholic pope, and in it's head piece was a coin that, ironically, in the end was used to cover the eyes of a fallen comrade as they sent him down the "river Styx."

I'm not sure how much of this was intended by the creators, and I was wondering if anyone else had seen this movie. If so, I'm curios to hear if anyone picked up on stuff that I would have missed.
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Dimo1138 on September 22, 2009, 04:35:18 PM
I went to see this movie, "9," with a few friends. It's a computer animated, fun film geared towards younger folk, and to my surprise, it contained a lot of Illuminati/Discordian references in it.

Planet Eris, here we come.   :x
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cramulus

Quote from: Cramulus on September 21, 2009, 06:59:41 PM
I saw the movie 9 this weekend.

not bad. But overall I give it a B-

It was exactly what happens when you try to take all the sci-fi imagery of the last 10 years and cram it into one kid's movie.

9 = LotR + The Matrix + Fallout + Batman (the animated series)

the lead character is voiced by elijah wood, who leads a group of 9 heroes (see also: lotr) into a 1950s post-apoc wasteland (see: fallout) created by a war between humans and machines (see: the Matrix), and do battle against flying spider / octopus robots with glowing red eyes (see: the Matrix).

they go into a building that looks like this:

which is being patrolled by the robotic equivalent police blimps. (very reminiscent of the opening to Batman:TAS)

the interesting thing, for the numerology crowd, is that all the characters just have numbers for names, and the numbers seem to match their personalities. 1 is a brash arrogant controlling dude. 8 is an aggressive brute. 9 is a mystic leader.

it was okay. if I had seen it when I was like 14 i would have thought it was totally bitchtits

Golden Applesauce

There was a short film version of this that was nominated for an Oscar a few years back.  It was pretty dang good - the short film consisted entirely of a kickass action sequence between Burlap Sack Man and a robotic cat thing - zero dialogue, no plot.  I have no idea why people keep putting dialogue in movies that don't need it.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: GA on September 22, 2009, 04:48:05 PM
There was a short film version of this that was nominated for an Oscar a few years back.  It was pretty dang good - the short film consisted entirely of a kickass action sequence between Burlap Sack Man and a robotic cat thing - zero dialogue, no plot.  I have no idea why people keep putting dialogue in movies that don't need it.

More to the point, we're gonna have to put up with noobs breathlessly flying through the door to tell us about the "Discordian symbolism" for the next 4 months, just like when they named that planet "Eris".

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Dimocritus

I kept telling myself that it was coincidental, but the Leviathan/Machine thing was too close for me to call coincidence. That's why I wanted to see if anyone here had seen it, because they were more likely than I was to notice more obscure symbolism/numerology.

There's a planet Eris now? That's kinda cool. Where is it (don't say "space")?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Dimo1138 on September 22, 2009, 05:01:05 PM
I kept telling myself that it was coincidental, but the Leviathan/Machine thing was too close for me to call coincidence. That's why I wanted to see if anyone here had seen it, because they were more likely than I was to notice more obscure symbolism/numerology.

Um.  Consult your pineal gland.  And stuff.

Cramulus

There was a lot of numerological symbolism in the movie. I'm not really following the spiderbot : leviathan link, but in literature, doesn't the Leviathan symbolize the enemy of God? It does sort of fit within the movie, being that the spider is the enemy of mankind, and all the "parts of the soul" talk that goes on towards the end. The spider symbolizes soulless mankind.

I'd find it more likely RAW and 9's writer were referencing the same idea,
    than that the writer was directly referencing RAW.

but I find it more likely that 9's writer was referencing the Matrix

look at this thing:

I can't find a screenshot of the Machine in 9, but it looks juuuuust like that thing, no?

Dimocritus

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 22, 2009, 05:01:38 PM
Quote from: Dimo1138 on September 22, 2009, 05:01:05 PM

Um.  Consult your pineal gland.  And stuff.

I just did. It was creepy. That thing has an unhealthy obsession with gonads... Weird...

Dimocritus

Quote from: Cramulus on September 22, 2009, 05:03:14 PM
There was a lot of numerological symbolism in the movie. I'm not really following the spiderbot : leviathan link, but in literature, doesn't the Leviathan symbolize the enemy of God? It does sort of fit within the movie, being that the spider is the enemy of mankind, and all the "parts of the soul" talk that goes on towards the end. The spider symbolizes soulless mankind.

I'd find it more likely RAW and 9's writer were referencing the same idea,
    than that the writer was directly referencing RAW.

but I find it more likely that 9's writer was referencing the Matrix

I can't find a screenshot of the Machine in 9, but it looks juuuuust like that thing, no?

I can agree with that.

Seriously, though, in the Illuminatus, Leviathan was described as being the origin of both the Illuminati eye-and-pyramid symbol, as well as the Nazi swastika (I know we're talking about fiction and that's not where the swastika came from). Essentially, it was the illuminati pyramid with tentacles (the hooks on the swastika were representing the tentacles of Leviathan). Grr... I can't find a good picture of the machine anywhere...

Cain

Leviathan can symbolise many things, depending on which spin you want to put on it.

For example, no-one has mentioned Thomas Hobbes yet, where the Leviathan is the all powerful state, where citizens sacrifice freedoms to the sovereign in return for security (dunno if this fits the film, but now you know).

Israelites apparently used Leviathan to reference any "enemies of order" or states/cities who threatened Israel.  This descends from Caanite interpretation where Baal slew Leviathan at the beginning of time, much like Marduk and Tiamat.  

According to Christians, Leviathan can be a specific demon, one that tempts men into committing sacrilege.  Otherwise, it can be a symbol of Satan's threat to God's creation, or a creature that appears in the Last Judgement to eat the souls of the damned.

Shibboleet The Annihilator

LMNO

Quote from: Illuminatus!At each of the five corners of the pyramid were clusters of five tentacles, thousands of feet long,
festooned with auxiliary tentacles, the long, wirelike tendrils that had first brushed the submarine. It
was one of the main tentacles that was wrapped around the Leif Erikson. The tip of a second tentacle
now drifted up. At the very end of this tentacle was a glowing red eyeball, a smaller replica of the red
nucleus of the pyramidal central body. Under this eye was a huge orifice full of jagged rows of
toothlike projections. Pulsing, the orifice dilated and contracted.

The only description in the book.

Jenne

Quote from: Slanket the Destroyer on September 22, 2009, 05:19:16 PM
If you enjoyed this post you may also enjoy: http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=22288.0

:lulz:  asshat!

I actually want to see this "9" movie.  Seems right up my little nerd-household's arse, I mean, alley.

Shibboleet The Annihilator

I liked it. It wasn't great but it was alright.