News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

why am I not suprised.

Started by Requia ☣, September 22, 2009, 07:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

So anyway, I've been thinking about Obama's bizarre and impossible health care plan, which appears to mandate health insurance for everyone. There is no no fucking possible way to enforce this. It's simply not possible. He's not stupid... he knows this. This is only the first step of a multi-part plan, the end goal of which is fully socialized health care... which he knows he cannot achieve in one step. This health care plan is, simply, bullshit to convince the right-leaning folk to let him put the first foot on the slippery slope toward socialized medicine.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on September 23, 2009, 06:19:16 PM
So anyway, I've been thinking about Obama's bizarre and impossible health care plan, which appears to mandate health insurance for everyone. There is no no fucking possible way to enforce this. It's simply not possible. He's not stupid... he knows this. This is only the first step of a multi-part plan, the end goal of which is fully socialized health care... which he knows he cannot achieve in one step. This health care plan is, simply, bullshit to convince the right-leaning folk to let him put the first foot on the slippery slope toward socialized medicine.

Hope springs eternal!

Also, I gave a pretty good method by which they could enforce it, right after your original objection.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Requia ☣

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 23, 2009, 05:14:37 PM
Mode income in the USA is $19,900/year.  Yeah, they can afford health care.

Isn't the poverty line 21k?

I've been waiting for this, more than half the country is now living in poverty  :lulz:
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

AFK

Quote from: Nigel on September 23, 2009, 06:14:29 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on September 23, 2009, 06:06:26 PM

No, they couldn't afford it the way the GOP wants them to afford it.  And that's where I think a hardship waiver should come into play.  Or a public option with a sliding fee scale.  Someone making 19,900 a year certainly can't afford the premium I pay for my insurance.  But they could contribute something to a public option where the premium was based upon your earnings.  So someone who is making a pittance pays a pittance of a premium but still gets the same kind of coverage.  Of course this would have to be subsidized in some way so that it doesn't constantly run in the red. 

I think you may have missed a hint of sarcasm.

No I got the sarcasm.  I understand that $19,900 isn't a whole lot of money, I've been there, that's why I say if you are going to mandate coverage it has to be done in a way that those people scraping by can contribute to it.  It certainly isn't going to be at the same rate as someone who makes what I make. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on September 23, 2009, 06:36:26 PM
Quote from: Nigel on September 23, 2009, 06:14:29 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on September 23, 2009, 06:06:26 PM

No, they couldn't afford it the way the GOP wants them to afford it.  And that's where I think a hardship waiver should come into play.  Or a public option with a sliding fee scale.  Someone making 19,900 a year certainly can't afford the premium I pay for my insurance.  But they could contribute something to a public option where the premium was based upon your earnings.  So someone who is making a pittance pays a pittance of a premium but still gets the same kind of coverage.  Of course this would have to be subsidized in some way so that it doesn't constantly run in the red. 

I think you may have missed a hint of sarcasm.

No I got the sarcasm.  I understand that $19,900 isn't a whole lot of money, I've been there, that's why I say if you are going to mandate coverage it has to be done in a way that those people scraping by can contribute to it.  It certainly isn't going to be at the same rate as someone who makes what I make. 

I have a perferred method.  I'd like to cook and eat any congressman found to have taken contributions from health insurance companies, and then look at the public option again.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

AFK

I can't argue with that one.  Baucus Brisket anyone?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 22, 2009, 09:16:41 PM
Quote from: Nigel on September 22, 2009, 09:13:06 PM
What are they going to do to people who don't pay for health insurance? Take away their license to health?

How do they collect premiums?

Well, let's see...If you have kids, and you don't provide them with health insurance, I guess they'd call that neglect, and whisk your kids off to some foster hell for "their own good".

Or, if it's just you, they'd fine you.  Guess what happens when you can't pay a fine?  Oh, yes...you go to the county farm, or worse, until the fine is paid off at a rate of $100/24 hour day.  When you get out, you are of course out of work and broke, so I guess you won't be affording insurance, and back you go.

And the band played on.

Missed it the first time.  :lulz:

Of course I could be a literal cunt and explain why that wouldn't work economically, but then I'd have Cain up my ass again... and god knows I prefer it the other way around.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

It wouldn't have to work economically.

This is one of those "form over function" things.

Precious Moments Zalgo

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 23, 2009, 06:44:50 PMI have a perferred method.  I'd like to cook and eat any congressman found to have taken contributions from health insurance companies, and then look at the public option again.
:D I hope you're hungry -- that's about 3/4 of them.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pastor-Mullah Zappathruster on September 23, 2009, 07:29:44 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 23, 2009, 06:44:50 PMI have a perferred method.  I'd like to cook and eat any congressman found to have taken contributions from health insurance companies, and then look at the public option again.

I was thinking 11/12ths.

Precious Moments Zalgo

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 23, 2009, 07:39:24 PM
Quote from: Pastor-Mullah Zappathruster on September 23, 2009, 07:29:44 PM

I was thinking 11/12ths.
You're right.  I see what I did. I was just looking at the donations for the 2010 campaign season.  If I go back to 2008, then it is about 11/12 of them.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

AFK

But that's just because Dennis Kucinich is still waiting for the aliens to deliver his donation. 

LMNO

So anyway, I've been thinking about Obama's bizarre and impossible health care plan, which appears to mandate health insurance for everyone. There is no no fucking possible way to enforce this.

Imagine a new IRS rule... You must submit proof of health insurance along with your taxes, or you will be fined an amount equal to the lowest rate offered.

Oh, and grab your ankles.

trippinprincezz13

Quote from: LMNO on September 23, 2009, 08:09:14 PM
So anyway, I've been thinking about Obama's bizarre and impossible health care plan, which appears to mandate health insurance for everyone. There is no no fucking possible way to enforce this.

Imagine a new IRS rule... You must submit proof of health insurance along with your taxes, or you will be fined an amount equal to the lowest rate offered.

Oh, and grab your ankles.

Yea, I do love that one. Since fining people who can't afford insurance will definitely enable them to afford it next year! Luckily I got insurance through my job a few years ago and my boyfriend managed to get at his work shortly after the law was passed here, or else we'd be screwed. I had MassHealth for a year or so but got kicked off because I turned 19, wasn't pregnant and didn't quit my job because I made just barely over their cut-off line despite the fact that with my bills and having only a part-time job I had no money left over to cover any health insurance premiums. So I went without health insurance for a few years and tried not to get sick (which didn't always work, somehow) until I finally got taken on full time and eventually got insurance.

My brother just turned 22 and got taken off my parents' health insurance even though he's still in college. He had to enroll in his own plan, obviously, and since he can only work part-time when he's home from school, I'm pretty sure that they only way he can afford it is because my parents are helping him out.
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: trippinprincezz13 on September 23, 2009, 09:04:39 PM
Yea, I do love that one. Since fining people who can't afford insurance will definitely enable them to afford it next year!

HAW HAW