News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "I've always, always regarded the Discordians as being people who chose to be Discordians because they can't be arsed to actually do any work to develop a relationship with a specific deity, they were too wishy-washy to choose just one path, and they just want to be a mishmash of everything and not have to work at learning about rituals or traditions or any such thing as that."

Main Menu

#teenageproblems

Started by Pariah, September 23, 2009, 01:10:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Quote from: BadBeast on April 28, 2011, 06:03:46 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 28, 2011, 05:45:12 PM

The one cultural thing that Tucson lacks is a music scene.  We get to listen to whatever prepackaged crap the record labels fling together, and that's about it.

If it wasn't for mp3s, I'd have gone up a water tower years ago.  I am NOT going to put up with Beiber, Swift, and the general sound-alike crap on the top 40 stations.
No-one should have to put up with that shit. I've found that most people my age, are listening to the same old shit they were listening to when they were 20, (With the general attitude of "Everything after '92 is shite anyway") Or they are frantically trying to keep up with whatever their kids are listening to, like the oldest Party Animals in town. All because they lack either the imagination, or the webskilz (Or both)  to go and find new stuff that they do like, from Artists that aren't dead, or like 75rys old. It's not difficult, with the internet and everything, to find solid, quality music that you do like, from Artists you've never heard of before to listen to, alongside some of the lulzy old shit you listened to when you were 20. Being a growed up adult of 40+, means you don't have to mindlessly follow what everyone else says is cool or not. Fuck it, I had a Gary Glitter hour at full volume yesterday morning, you could hear it from 200 yards away, that's how much of a fuck people my age should give!

Coooooome on come on, come on come on come on, co-ome on ! (Clap clap)  
(Doesn't mean I wanna be in his Gang though)

Personally, I'd put it at everything after 1994 with a few caveats here and there.  But for me, the last great time in music when there was a lot of fresh and new and relevant releases coming out was in that 1988-1992.  I think that was the last great era for lots of genres.  Hip-hop, metal, rock, etc.  Obviously, there are still good bands here and there, but I'm talking about mass movements.  Eras in music where the whole landscape seemed to shift.  
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

BadBeast

Quote from: R.W.H.N. on April 28, 2011, 07:48:24 PM

The one cultural thing that Tucson lacks is a music scene.  We get to listen to whatever prepackaged crap the record labels fling together, and that's about it.

If it wasn't for mp3s, I'd have gone up a water tower years ago.  I am NOT going to put up with Beiber, Swift, and the general sound-alike crap on the top 40 stations.
No-one should have to put up with that shit. I've found that most people my age, are listening to the same old shit they were listening to when they were 20, (With the general attitude of "Everything after '92 is shite anyway") Or they are frantically trying to keep up with whatever their kids are listening to, like the oldest Party Animals in town. All because they lack either the imagination, or the webskilz (Or both)  to go and find new stuff that they do like, from Artists that aren't dead, or like 75rys old. It's not difficult, with the internet and everything, to find solid, quality music that you do like, from Artists you've never heard of before to listen to, alongside some of the lulzy old shit you listened to when you were 20. Being a growed up adult of 40+, means you don't have to mindlessly follow what everyone else says is cool or not. Fuck it, I had a Gary Glitter hour at full volume yesterday morning, you could hear it from 200 yards away, that's how much of a fuck people my age should give!

Personally, I'd put it at everything after 1994 with a few caveats here and there.  But for me, the last great time in music when there was a lot of fresh and new and relevant releases coming out was in that 1988-1992.  I think that was the last great era for lots of genres.  Hip-hop, metal, rock, etc.  Obviously, there are still good bands here and there, but I'm talking about mass movements.  Eras in music where the whole landscape seemed to shift. 
Yeah, I know what you mean. Like when the Two Tone Ska revival happened over here. Suddenly, there were Skinheads and black kids starting up Ska bands, going to the same partys, it was fucking magic. We still had the racist National Front wankers too though, but the skins who weren't racist all grew their hair an inch or two, and called themselves "suede-heads" to differentiate themselves from the thugs. Turned out in force for the Two Tone Label's "Rock against Racism" tours. Out of all that came "Stiff" Records, the original "Indy" label. Ian Dury, Elvis Costello, Nick Lowe, "If it ain't STIFF, it ain't worth a Fuck". Really, in terms of social impact, that shit was bigger than Punk was.

The last hugely influential Music movement here was when the Clubs all went "Dance", with your Superstar DJ's, and it's been trying (With varying levels of success) to burst back out of the Clubs and back into the free party scene ever since. The Government licensed all the big Summer Festivals to try and keep it in control, and making money for the MAN, and it seems to have worked. You have to look a lot harder to find any decent free Partys these days.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 28, 2011, 07:22:50 PM
Quote from: Nigel on April 28, 2011, 07:18:04 PM
Thanks! I'm looking forward to the impending horrible physical deterioration!

Other than gaining the metabolism of an Iguana, you should first expect joint problems.  Also, keep a sharp eye on your organs.  They're plotting against you.

I have the metabolism thing nailed... I solve it with a system I call "barely eating".

My joints are already lashing out. My knee problem I solved by losing weight, but my right elbow HATES me. My heart has been trying to kill me since day one, but now my lungs have joined league and laugh at me with malicious glee every time I get drunk enough to think that just one cigarette won't hurt anything.

My stomach spent most of last month trying to come out of my ass, and I never figured out why.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Nigel on April 28, 2011, 05:20:23 PM
Quote from: R.W.H.N. on April 28, 2011, 01:15:21 PM
I was gonna say, I think bands like Oasis, Blur, Suede, Stone Roses, etc., etc,. were considered indie bands when they first hit the scene. 

But basically in the 90s I think the "indie" term became interchangeable with "alternative", and for the particularly lazy music journalists, "grunge".

I'd say whatever meaning it originally was destroyed a long time ago.   

What

dude, no. I'm sure stupid people use it wrong all the time, but it's a pretty big thing to identify yourself as unrepresented out here, there's a thriving indie scene on Alberta, Mississippi and Killingsworth, people are trying to make it work. It's like the whole SRA thing. I'm sure your average teeny-bopper doesn't know what "independent" means, but most adults are fully aware.

Yeah, but in the rest of the world, if you say "indie music" nobody is gonna think of some cluster of venues and studios in North Portland, they're gonna think of shit like Foster the People and The Decemberists.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on April 28, 2011, 08:18:00 PM
My stomach spent most of last month trying to come out of my ass, and I never figured out why.

It wanted a look.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

East Coast Hustle

The one cultural thing that Tucson lacks is a music scene.  We get to listen to whatever prepackaged crap the record labels fling together, and that's about it.

If it wasn't for mp3s, I'd have gone up a water tower years ago.  I am NOT going to put up with Beiber, Swift, and the general sound-alike crap on the top 40 stations.
No-one should have to put up with that shit. I've found that most people my age, are listening to the same old shit they were listening to when they were 20, (With the general attitude of "Everything after '92 is shite anyway") Or they are frantically trying to keep up with whatever their kids are listening to, like the oldest Party Animals in town. All because they lack either the imagination, or the webskilz (Or both)  to go and find new stuff that they do like, from Artists that aren't dead, or like 75rys old. It's not difficult, with the internet and everything, to find solid, quality music that you do like, from Artists you've never heard of before to listen to, alongside some of the lulzy old shit you listened to when you were 20. Being a growed up adult of 40+, means you don't have to mindlessly follow what everyone else says is cool or not. Fuck it, I had a Gary Glitter hour at full volume yesterday morning, you could hear it from 200 yards away, that's how much of a fuck people my age should give!

Personally, I'd put it at everything after 1994 with a few caveats here and there.  But for me, the last great time in music when there was a lot of fresh and new and relevant releases coming out was in that 1988-1992.  I think that was the last great era for lots of genres.  Hip-hop, metal, rock, etc.  Obviously, there are still good bands here and there, but I'm talking about mass movements.  Eras in music where the whole landscape seemed to shift. 

What? No way, dude. This, RIGHT NOW, is the absolute GOLDEN AGE of Metal. And not just for the weird technical progressive death metal shit that I like, I'm talking every genre, every style. Metal is exploding right now in a way it never has before. One thing that might be obscuring this fact is that ALOT of the good stuff coming out now is not coming out of the US, but if you go digging through the crates in Aus, Canada, the UK, France, Germany, Greece, Portugal, Brazil, Italy, etc. there's so much good stuff that it's mind-boggling. I love to share new music so if you want some tracks of some bands, gimme a PM with some general description of what you're into and I'll try to throw some stuff your way that you might really dig.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: BadBeast on April 28, 2011, 05:39:45 PM
The thing here was, whether you were an Independent Label, or signed to Sony, on a 7 Album deal, your fan base was pretty much dependent on the same 2 or 3 distribution companies for getting their grimy hands on your music. (Or they could tape it off the radio, or their mates scratchy vinyl)
Virgin Megastores just about drove all the Independent music shops out of business by taking all the "Independent" labels and chugging their LPs out, at a loss if they had to, just to get the HipCats and the Rare Groovy 'eclectic' set in their shops, buying their Vinyls. Then, overnight, it was less Vinyl, more CDs, and that's when it all started going tits up. If it wasn't for the Uber Hipsterism of the Dance Music Scene, and the pigheaded snobbery of big name DJ's only playing 12" 45rpm vinyls, on Technic's SL1210, (MK II's) then we would all be listening to the sound of our own farts, as our brains liquefied to whatever the fuck Simon Cowell thought we should be listening to.  

My friend in Tucson keeps getting excited when I play bands from Tucson on my radio show, there must be a few.  The one that I remember is Machine's of Loving Grace, which admittedly hasn't been doing anything in a while, but there were a couple of others as well (I am a bad DJ since I don't remember which ones those were though, I'll have to ask her)
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

AFK

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on April 28, 2011, 08:31:16 PM

What? No way, dude. This, RIGHT NOW, is the absolute GOLDEN AGE of Metal. And not just for the weird technical progressive death metal shit that I like, I'm talking every genre, every style. Metal is exploding right now in a way it never has before. One thing that might be obscuring this fact is that ALOT of the good stuff coming out now is not coming out of the US, but if you go digging through the crates in Aus, Canada, the UK, France, Germany, Greece, Portugal, Brazil, Italy, etc. there's so much good stuff that it's mind-boggling. I love to share new music so if you want some tracks of some bands, gimme a PM with some general description of what you're into and I'll try to throw some stuff your way that you might really dig.

I dunno, I think it is over saturated with metalcore bands now.  The late 80s/early 90s are the Golden Era for me.  The rise of death metal, grindcore, doom metal, death/doom, the birth of the tech-death stuff.  It was coming from all directions.  Don't get me wrong, there is some good stuff coming out today, but it just doesn't feel as earth-shattering and new as it did back in the day.  But that's probably just my youthful nostalgia talking. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on April 28, 2011, 08:25:58 PM
I was gonna say, I think bands like Oasis, Blur, Suede, Stone Roses, etc., etc,. were considered indie bands when they first hit the scene. 

But basically in the 90s I think the "indie" term became interchangeable with "alternative", and for the particularly lazy music journalists, "grunge".

What

dude, no. I'm sure stupid people use it wrong all the time, but it's a pretty big thing to identify yourself as unrepresented out here, there's a thriving indie scene on Alberta, Mississippi and Killingsworth, people are trying to make it work. It's like the whole SRA thing. I'm sure your average teeny-bopper doesn't know what "independent" means, but most adults are fully aware.

Yeah, but in the rest of the world, if you say "indie music" nobody is gonna think of some cluster of venues and studios in North Portland, they're gonna think of shit like Foster the People and The Decemberists.

If they live in a town with a decent musical culture they'll think of the local indie musicians.  If they don't and have decent webskills they'll think of whatever stuff they downloaded that there's no way would be getting played on the radio or sold in a store anywhere near them.

Mind you there's still idiots who will just think of the decemberists, but there's idiots who think Metal just means Disturbed too.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on April 28, 2011, 08:25:58 PM

What

:? But they're not proper indie. I mean, they're signed to a small label (I hate it when small labels call themselves independent... bunch of stupid fucks) but they're not self-produced.

I admit to never having been to "the rest of the world", but they sound like idiots.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Nigel on April 28, 2011, 09:36:12 PM

I admit to never having been to "the rest of the world", but they sound like idiots.

Well, yeah. That's pretty much their whole schtick.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: R.W.H.N. on April 28, 2011, 09:19:30 PM

The one cultural thing that Tucson lacks is a music scene.  We get to listen to whatever prepackaged crap the record labels fling together, and that's about it.

If it wasn't for mp3s, I'd have gone up a water tower years ago.  I am NOT going to put up with Beiber, Swift, and the general sound-alike crap on the top 40 stations.
No-one should have to put up with that shit. I've found that most people my age, are listening to the same old shit they were listening to when they were 20, (With the general attitude of "Everything after '92 is shite anyway") Or they are frantically trying to keep up with whatever their kids are listening to, like the oldest Party Animals in town. All because they lack either the imagination, or the webskilz (Or both)  to go and find new stuff that they do like, from Artists that aren't dead, or like 75rys old. It's not difficult, with the internet and everything, to find solid, quality music that you do like, from Artists you've never heard of before to listen to, alongside some of the lulzy old shit you listened to when you were 20. Being a growed up adult of 40+, means you don't have to mindlessly follow what everyone else says is cool or not. Fuck it, I had a Gary Glitter hour at full volume yesterday morning, you could hear it from 200 yards away, that's how much of a fuck people my age should give!

Personally, I'd put it at everything after 1994 with a few caveats here and there.  But for me, the last great time in music when there was a lot of fresh and new and relevant releases coming out was in that 1988-1992.  I think that was the last great era for lots of genres.  Hip-hop, metal, rock, etc.  Obviously, there are still good bands here and there, but I'm talking about mass movements.  Eras in music where the whole landscape seemed to shift.  

I dunno, I think it is over saturated with metalcore bands now.  The late 80s/early 90s are the Golden Era for me.  The rise of death metal, grindcore, doom metal, death/doom, the birth of the tech-death stuff.  It was coming from all directions.  Don't get me wrong, there is some good stuff coming out today, but it just doesn't feel as earth-shattering and new as it did back in the day.  But that's probably just my youthful nostalgia talking.  

See, I totally agree about the crappy metalcore bands if we're talking about the American metal scene. I'm gonna dig through my CDs and hard drives, I know I've got some stuff you'd like.

Slyph

I want to ask a question bout downhill sailing

Is it a mixed metaphor if you can picture it and you wnat to fucking do it because the image is tha d damn fun?

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Laughin Jude on April 27, 2011, 03:58:29 AM
I have to protest the idea of Tom Petty having any "best years" as that would mean he had any good years to begin with. But apparently I'm fairly lonely in thinking he's always sucked and he makes awful, wimpy music.

:argh!:

I am rethinking my tolerance of you.

BadBeast

Quote from: R.W.H.N. on April 28, 2011, 09:19:30 PM

I dunno, I think it is over saturated with metalcore bands now.  The late 80s/early 90s are the Golden Era for me.  The rise of death metal, grindcore, doom metal, death/doom, the birth of the tech-death stuff.  It was coming from all directions.  Don't get me wrong, there is some good stuff coming out today, but it just doesn't feel as earth-shattering and new as it did back in the day.  But that's probably just my youthful nostalgia talking.  
Yeah, without detracting from the quality of the music, a lot of it is down to youthful nostalgia. My 'Golden Age' was late 70's -  early 90's. Anarcho-Crusty Punk, with a good measure of early Goth-Punk, (Bauhaus, Southern Death Cult, Banshees, This Mortal Coil/Cocteau Twins) Proper Metal too, like Sabbath (with Ozzy) Motorhead, Priest, Dumpys Rusty Nuts, early Maiden, Mid to late Zep, leading into better prog, Yes, Rush, (until Signals) and peaking with Marillion's first two or maybe three Albums. With Hawkwind being a constant presence, all through. (But that's probably because they've been pretty much touring for 40 years non stop)

I think that just as there is an optimum window for learning to read, (6-11 yrs, ish) there's also a ten year period from about 16yrs old, when Music has it's most intense effect on you. I mean, look at people who are 60-70, yrs old now, and listen to them raving on about Bill fucking fatass Haley, or Bobby Warin! I mean, really! And people who did WWII, with Vera Lynn, or that grizzling French Witch, Edith Piaf! Hard to see that they were the Madonnas of their day. Or that George Formby was the Kurt Cobain of the mid '4os. (Although I do 'get' Glen Miller being the Wartime 'Chemical Brothers'. "In the Mood" still stands up today as a dance track)
Going to stop here, or my secret liking for Val Doonican will reveal itself. *Shit!*  
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4