News:

PD.Com: Pretention in a can.

Main Menu

#teenageproblems

Started by Pariah, September 23, 2009, 01:10:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadBeast

The thing here was, whether you were an Independent Label, or signed to Sony, on a 7 Album deal, your fan base was pretty much dependent on the same 2 or 3 distribution companies for getting their grimy hands on your music. (Or they could tape it off the radio, or their mates scratchy vinyl)
Virgin Megastores just about drove all the Independent music shops out of business by taking all the "Independent" labels and chugging their LPs out, at a loss if they had to, just to get the HipCats and the Rare Groovy 'eclectic' set in their shops, buying their Vinyls. Then, overnight, it was less Vinyl, more CDs, and that's when it all started going tits up. If it wasn't for the Uber Hipsterism of the Dance Music Scene, and the pigheaded snobbery of big name DJ's only playing 12" 45rpm vinyls, on Technic's SL1210, (MK II's) then we would all be listening to the sound of our own farts, as our brains liquefied to whatever the fuck Simon Cowell thought we should be listening to.  
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: BadBeast on April 28, 2011, 05:39:45 PM
The thing here was, whether you were an Independent Label, or signed to Sony, on a 7 Album deal, your fan base was pretty much dependent on the same 2 or 3 distribution companies for getting their grimy hands on your music. (Or they could tape it off the radio, or their mates scratchy vinyl)
Virgin Megastores just about drove all the Independent music shops out of business by taking all the "Independent" labels and chugging their LPs out, at a loss if they had to, just to get the HipCats and the Rare Groovy 'eclectic' set in their shops, buying their Vinyls. Then, overnight, it was less Vinyl, more CDs, and that's when it all started going tits up. If it wasn't for the Uber Hipsterism of the Dance Music Scene, and the pigheaded snobbery of big name DJ's only playing 12" 45rpm vinyls, on Technic's SL1210, (MK II's) then we would all be listening to the sound of our own farts, as our brains liquefied to whatever the fuck Simon Cowell thought we should be listening to.  

The one cultural thing that Tucson lacks is a music scene.  We get to listen to whatever prepackaged crap the record labels fling together, and that's about it.

If it wasn't for mp3s, I'd have gone up a water tower years ago.  I am NOT going to put up with Beiber, Swift, and the general sound-alike crap on the top 40 stations.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Really?  There has to be some sort of underground scene.  Even if it's post-dubstep-CoyoteCore.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on April 28, 2011, 05:47:58 PM
Really?  There has to be some sort of underground scene.  Even if it's post-dubstep-CoyoteCore.

Kenny Loggins tribute bands.

I shit you not.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

Well, someone has to take the highway to the danger zone.

BadBeast

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 28, 2011, 05:45:12 PM

The one cultural thing that Tucson lacks is a music scene.  We get to listen to whatever prepackaged crap the record labels fling together, and that's about it.

If it wasn't for mp3s, I'd have gone up a water tower years ago.  I am NOT going to put up with Beiber, Swift, and the general sound-alike crap on the top 40 stations.
No-one should have to put up with that shit. I've found that most people my age, are listening to the same old shit they were listening to when they were 20, (With the general attitude of "Everything after '92 is shite anyway") Or they are frantically trying to keep up with whatever their kids are listening to, like the oldest Party Animals in town. All because they lack either the imagination, or the webskilz (Or both)  to go and find new stuff that they do like, from Artists that aren't dead, or like 75rys old. It's not difficult, with the internet and everything, to find solid, quality music that you do like, from Artists you've never heard of before to listen to, alongside some of the lulzy old shit you listened to when you were 20. Being a growed up adult of 40+, means you don't have to mindlessly follow what everyone else says is cool or not. Fuck it, I had a Gary Glitter hour at full volume yesterday morning, you could hear it from 200 yards away, that's how much of a fuck people my age should give!

Coooooome on come on, come on come on come on, co-ome on ! (Clap clap)  
(Doesn't mean I wanna be in his Gang though)
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 28, 2011, 05:33:27 PM
Quote from: Nigel on April 28, 2011, 05:30:12 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on April 28, 2011, 05:29:08 PM
So, it's like wholesale music?

It's like the difference between buying a painting in a gallery... the gallery is representing the artist and gets a cut... and buying it directly from the artist.

Probably never get rich, but no 1st contract ass-raping, either.  I can see that.

Yup, exactly. Most bands who get signed never make a living, let alone get rich. If you can do it by yourself and make enough to get by, that's pretty good.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

BadBeast

Happy Birthday Nigel, the first four decades are the trickiest. It's all nice easy downhill sailing from here on in!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: BadBeast on April 28, 2011, 06:26:45 PM
Happy Birthday Nigel, the first four decades are the trickiest. It's all nice easy downhill sailing from here on in!

Important to note the words "downhill sailing".

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Thanks! I'm looking forward to the impending horrible physical deterioration!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: BadBeast on April 28, 2011, 06:03:46 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 28, 2011, 05:45:12 PM

The one cultural thing that Tucson lacks is a music scene.  We get to listen to whatever prepackaged crap the record labels fling together, and that's about it.

If it wasn't for mp3s, I'd have gone up a water tower years ago.  I am NOT going to put up with Beiber, Swift, and the general sound-alike crap on the top 40 stations.
No-one should have to put up with that shit. I've found that most people my age, are listening to the same old shit they were listening to when they were 20, (With the general attitude of "Everything after '92 is shite anyway") Or they are frantically trying to keep up with whatever their kids are listening to, like the oldest Party Animals in town. All because they lack either the imagination, or the webskilz (Or both)  to go and find new stuff that they do like, from Artists that aren't dead, or like 75rys old. It's not difficult, with the internet and everything, to find solid, quality music that you do like, from Artists you've never heard of before to listen to, alongside some of the lulzy old shit you listened to when you were 20. Being a growed up adult of 40+, means you don't have to mindlessly follow what everyone else says is cool or not. Fuck it, I had a Gary Glitter hour at full volume yesterday morning, you could hear it from 200 yards away, that's how much of a fuck people my age should give!

Coooooome on come on, come on come on come on, co-ome on ! (Clap clap)  
(Doesn't mean I wanna be in his Gang though)

I have a better system.  I check out what my kids are listening to, as they are both music snobs.

I get Pink & Gaga, and I don't have to waste time listening to Rebecca Black.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on April 28, 2011, 07:18:04 PM

Other than gaining the metabolism of an Iguana, you should first expect joint problems.  Also, keep a sharp eye on your organs.  They're plotting against you.

BadBeast

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 28, 2011, 07:22:50 PM

Other than gaining the metabolism of an Iguana, you should first expect joint problems.  Also, keep a sharp eye on your organs.  They're plotting against you.
And don't forget the almost imperceptible onset of crumblewits, that can be a bit um,  . . .(*forgotten the word for disconcerting*) weird.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: BadBeast on April 28, 2011, 07:41:58 PM

And don't forget the almost imperceptible onset of crumblewits, that can be a bit um,  . . .(*forgotten the word for disconcerting*) weird.

You can avoid that by smashing your brains with pills.

I mean, it still happens, you just don't care.

BadBeast

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 28, 2011, 07:43:03 PM
Quote from: BadBeast on April 28, 2011, 07:41:58 PM

You can avoid that by smashing your brains with pills.

I mean, it still happens, you just don't care.
"Care" went out the window years ago, with my tinfoil hat.