News:

What the fuck is a homonym?  It's something that sounds gay.

Main Menu

#teenageproblems

Started by Pariah, September 23, 2009, 01:10:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on April 27, 2011, 12:01:58 AM
Quote from: BabylonHoruv on April 26, 2011, 09:53:09 PM
The idea that there is no more indie music is really silly.  Yes, alternative was co-opted, any counter culture will be if it gets big enough,  But with the internet and file sharing there is more accessible independent music than ever before.   Just like the mainstream most of it is shit, but that doesn't mean there isn';t enough good and even great out there for you to be able to listen to nothing but good indie music whenever you choose to listen to music at all.

Any musical act that purposefully refers to itself as being "indie" is automatically shit.

I don't get this. I mean, a band is either independent or not. How should they purposefully refer to themselves?

Here's my favorite indie act: http://www.endofthewest.com/
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

BabylonHoruv

The idea that there is no more indie music is really silly.  Yes, alternative was co-opted, any counter culture will be if it gets big enough,  But with the internet and file sharing there is more accessible independent music than ever before.   Just like the mainstream most of it is shit, but that doesn't mean there isn';t enough good and even great out there for you to be able to listen to nothing but good indie music whenever you choose to listen to music at all.

Any musical act that purposefully refers to itself as being "indie" is automatically shit.

kind of limiting to one's prospects.  but the fact that other people refer to them that way doesn't have a thing to do with what they call themselves.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Nigel on April 27, 2011, 12:13:34 AM

I don't get this. I mean, a band is either independent or not. How should they purposefully refer to themselves?

in popular music parlance, "indie" has little to nothing to do with whether or not a band has a deal. And most bands that don't have a deal and are seeking one tend to use the word "unsigned" to indicate that.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

AFK

I'm so indie, I shit caramel macchiatos 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

The Good Reverend Roger

I thought "Indie" meant "Bands that want to be an unsuccessful ripoff of The Pixies and eat Ramen in their GF's parent's garage every day for the rest of their lives".

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Laughin Jude

I have to protest the idea of Tom Petty having any "best years" as that would mean he had any good years to begin with. But apparently I'm fairly lonely in thinking he's always sucked and he makes awful, wimpy music.
Laughin Jude.com - Philosophy, snark, weird stories and bad art

The Plain and Honest Truth - A semi-Discordian serial novel about 9/11, the Iraq War, aliens, the origins of Western religion and an evil sock puppet from another dimension

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Laughin Jude on April 27, 2011, 03:58:29 AM
I have to protest the idea of Tom Petty having any "best years" as that would mean he had any good years to begin with. But apparently I'm fairly lonely in thinking he's always sucked and he makes awful, wimpy music.

You're a swine.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on April 27, 2011, 02:07:27 AM

in popular music parlance, "indie" has little to nothing to do with whether or not a band has a deal. And most bands that don't have a deal and are seeking one tend to use the word "unsigned" to indicate that.

Eh, I lived with the music industry, indie and otherwise, for almost 20 years. I'm pretty familiar with the parlance, as an ex band wife, ex promoter wife. A lot of it is bullshit, but indie still means independent, as in unsigned and without representation.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

AFK

Tom Petty is the man in my book.  Not sure what you mean by "wimpy" music.  He's had some pretty rocking songs like Runnin Down a Dream, Refugee, Last DJ, and plenty more.

Plus his work with the Travelling Wilburys. 

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: fell deeds awake, now for wrath, now for RWHN on April 27, 2011, 11:59:26 AM

Tom Petty is the man in my book.  Not sure what you mean by "wimpy" music.  He's had some pretty rocking songs like Runnin Down a Dream, Refugee, Last DJ, and plenty more.

Plus his work with the Travelling Wilburys. 

His later work had more crazy than Angela Jolie, which is usually enough to get me to listen.

Last Dance With Mary Jane, for example.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Nigel on April 27, 2011, 07:06:53 AM

Eh, I lived with the music industry, indie and otherwise, for almost 20 years. I'm pretty familiar with the parlance, as an ex band wife, ex promoter wife. A lot of it is bullshit, but indie still means independent, as in unsigned and without representation.

If you're familiar with the parlance, then you'll have to pardon me if I tell you to drop the Requia impesonation because you KNOW exactly what I'm talking about. When someone on the street uses the phrase "indie music" within earshot of you, the first thing that comes to mind is what? The Decemberists? OK then.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

I use "indie rock" to describe the Frost Heaves, because I have no idea what else to call it.

Because around here, the bar bands have kind of appropriated "Rock" and "Rock and Roll" to mean 70's and 80's era Skynard and Aerosmith, and "Punk" is now the domaine of Hardcore (or Hot Topic, depending), and anything too descriptive is utterly pretentious ("Neo-Post-NYC77-Wavecore").

You've heard our recordings.  What would you call us?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on April 27, 2011, 04:26:30 PM
I use "indie rock" to describe the Frost Heaves, because I have no idea what else to call it.

Because around here, the bar bands have kind of appropriated "Rock" and "Rock and Roll" to mean 70's and 80's era Skynard and Aerosmith, and "Punk" is now the domaine of Hardcore (or Hot Topic, depending), and anything too descriptive is utterly pretentious ("Neo-Post-NYC77-Wavecore").

You've heard our recordings.  What would you call us?

Outstanding.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on April 27, 2011, 04:04:20 PM

If you're familiar with the parlance, then you'll have to pardon me if I tell you to drop the Requia impesonation because you KNOW exactly what I'm talking about. When someone on the street uses the phrase "indie music" within earshot of you, the first thing that comes to mind is what? The Decemberists? OK then.

Dude, you're trippin'.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on April 27, 2011, 04:04:20 PM

I don't get a first thing coming to mind, it's not a genre, it's a level of representation.  There's indie music in every genre.  Some genres (filk for instance) are all indie, but any mainstream genre is going to have indie musicians too.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl