A WHO report on Cocaine the US does not want you to see

Started by Lies, September 23, 2009, 05:41:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lies

http://transform-drugs.blogspot.com/2009/06/report-they-didnt-want-you-to-see.html

QuoteThe largest ever study of cocaine use around the globe was carried out in the early 90's by the UN World Health Organisation (WHO) and funded by the UN Inter-regional Crime and Justice Research Institute (UNICRI), but under pressure from the US its publication was suppressed when it became clear the report's findings were in direct conflict with the myths, stereotypes and propaganda that prop up the war on drugs

:awesome:
- So the New World Order does not actually exist?
- Oh it exists, and how!
Ask the slaves whose labour built the White House;
Ask the slaves of today tied down to sweatshops and brothels to escape hunger;
Ask most women, second class citizens, in a pervasive rape culture;
Ask the non-human creatures who inhabit the planet:
whales, bears, frogs, tuna, bees, slaughtered farm animals;
Ask the natives of the Americas and Australia on whose land
you live today, on whose graves your factories, farms and neighbourhoods stand;
ask any of them this, ask them if the New World Order is true;
they'll tell you plainly: the New World Order... is you!

AFK

Oh sure, making cocaine as easily available as marijuana would be a great thing for the youth of America.  I don't know why the report has to be suppressed.  Give it sunlight and then tear it apart.  I'll even volunteer my time to help. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Broken AI on September 23, 2009, 09:40:02 AM
they mis quoted the report:

Quote"Health problem; from the use of legal substances, particularly alcohol and tobacco, are greater than health problems from cocaine use, yet make you into less of an insufferable cunt. At least stoners shut the fuck up.

It's the old use vs abuse thing really. Nail anything hard enough it will fuck you up. Anything.

troof.

Jenne

I'm tellin' ya...that "Last Great White Hope" straight dope documentary on the War on Drugs was an eye-opener, to say the least.  I still recommend it to everyone.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1033467/

LMNO

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on September 23, 2009, 10:58:34 AM
Oh sure, making cocaine as easily available as marijuana would be a great thing for the youth of America.  I don't know why the report has to be suppressed.  Give it sunlight and then tear it apart.  I'll even volunteer my time to help. 

Lone voice in the wilderness, ITT.

AFK

Well, it also doesn't help that the report blanketly indicts pretty much any and all prevention programs.  Like all we do is go into schools and brainwash kids.  Maybe that's what they were doing in the 80s but we've learned a lot since then, and now everything we do is research based.  And sure, I bet there are some adults who can handle their coke.  Great.  But, just based on my observations and experience, they seem to be in a special class, and not the norm. 

Jenne

Oh I would probably never advocate cocaine being made legal at this point--we just don't have the counselling and resources necessary, let alone the education available, for the repercussions of such a step.  Yes, the US is too immature.  :p

But I do think that KNOWING how our "drug culture" came about, knowing who mandated what and for what purposes historically, is important in how we forge ahead in the future.

Cramulus

the part I don't like:

QuoteThe United States Government considered that, if WHO activities relating to drugs failed to reinforce proven drug control approaches, funds for the relevant programmes should be curtailed.

We are paying you scientists to tell us cocaine is bad. If your research reveals otherwise, you're off the payroll.

It's like how in the 1960s they were finding that LSD was a useful treatment for autism, but the gov't pulled the plug because they only wanted to hear that LSD is destroying culture.

don't get me wrong, I think coke is a shit drug and I've seen it fuck people up proper. But supressing actual scientific research because it doesn't match the public agenda is straight up facism.

it's the dark ages all over again

Cain

Facism?  Face-ism?

"FUCK YOU CRAMULUS, WE'RE ANNEXING YOUR FACIAL HAIR"?

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cramulus on September 23, 2009, 02:17:09 PM
the part I don't like:

QuoteThe United States Government considered that, if WHO activities relating to drugs failed to reinforce proven drug control approaches, funds for the relevant programmes should be curtailed.

We are paying you scientists to tell us cocaine is bad. If your research reveals otherwise, you're off the payroll.

It's like how in the 1960s they were finding that LSD was a useful treatment for autism, but the gov't pulled the plug because they only wanted to hear that LSD is destroying culture.

don't get me wrong, I think coke is a shit drug and I've seen it fuck people up proper. But supressing actual scientific research because it doesn't match the public agenda is straight up facism.

it's the dark ages all over again

The Correct Cramulcycle
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Cocaine makes people irritating and then I want to slap them, and I imagine I'm not the only one.

I've done it twice and hated the shit out of it both times. What a stupid fucking drug. I plan to tell my children that, when they're old enough to know what the hell cocaine is.

That's Sister Nigel's drug prevention plan.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

fomenter

i have always believed there was a difference between crack and snorting, and that as far as addiction goes crack (or injecting ) were way worse.. what kind of use are they talking about ? and at what social/economic level?
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Requia ☣

Quote from: Cramulus on September 23, 2009, 02:17:09 PM
the part I don't like:

Details?

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on September 23, 2009, 02:09:54 PM
Well, it also doesn't help that the report blanketly indicts pretty much any and all prevention programs.  Like all we do is go into schools and brainwash kids.  Maybe that's what they were doing in the 80s but we've learned a lot since then, and now everything we do is research based.  And sure, I bet there are some adults who can handle their coke.  Great.  But, just based on my observations and experience, they seem to be in a special class, and not the norm.  

The report is, if its real, from 1990, so it reacts pretty much entirely to 80s, its response shouldn't be surprising  Also didn't they suppress research that DARE is ineffective?  Thats still around as far as I know.

The report looks like BS though.  Not one citation in the entire thing, and no data.  Details on the methods are sparse as hell for such a large study.  It mentions public perception in some places but gives no indication of whether or not that perception is right.  I'd shove it under a rug too, its not useful the way its written, and its so sloppy its embarrassing.  (which may be normal for WHO reports I suppose).
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

AFK

Quote from: Requia ☣ on September 23, 2009, 05:05:05 PM
The report is, if its real, from 1990, so it reacts pretty much entirely to 80s, its response shouldn't be surprising  Also didn't they suppress research that DARE is ineffective?

If so they did a pretty awful job of it.  It seems to be pretty common knowledge these days.  Although, some DARE programs will alter the programming and have infused it with more evidence based best practices. 

And that is the way most Prevention funding is going.  You have to use programming that is evidence based or you get no funding from the government.  My program is fortunate in that it is mostly funded by non-government money so I have a bit more flexibility in how I deliver the program, although my program does have a healthy amount of research to back it up.  We just aren't officially a model program just yet. 

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on September 23, 2009, 04:51:48 PM
Cocaine makes people irritating and then I want to slap them, and I imagine I'm not the only one.

This.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.