News:

Everyone who calls themselves "wolf-something" or "something-wolf" almost inevitably turns out to be an irredeemable shitneck.

Main Menu

Confessions of an Undiscovered Hero

Started by Payne, September 25, 2009, 11:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brotep

:mittens:

Nicely done, Payne.

Quote from: JohNyx on September 26, 2009, 03:42:30 AM
I think its called self delusional narcissism.

also known as the human condition

Payne

Quote from: fictionpuss on September 26, 2009, 04:22:28 PM
Quote from: Payne on September 26, 2009, 04:11:37 PM
Quote from: fictionpuss on September 26, 2009, 03:29:56 PM
Quote from: Payne on September 26, 2009, 01:36:56 PM
To be clear. This is NOT actually about me. It's written in the first person, but it's not actually what I myself am thinking or feeling.

:crankey:
So you're saying that it's about "a friend" or something?

No, I'm saying it's about someone unspecific. I tried to write it as "he lives..." and "we live..." etc, none of them worked, so I went with the "Attn: LMNO" thread style and made it first person. It's not about me or anyone I know.
I know - I really liked this piece. Your insecurity about the first-person was just too delicious to ignore though.

Oh, I see. This is all part of you trying to "bait" me. Can I expect you to shit all over ALL of my threads?

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Payne on September 26, 2009, 04:33:50 PM
To be clear. This is NOT actually about me. It's written in the first person, but it's not actually what I myself am thinking or feeling.

No, I'm saying it's about someone unspecific. I tried to write it as "he lives..." and "we live..." etc, none of them worked, so I went with the "Attn: LMNO" thread style and made it first person. It's not about me or anyone I know.
I know - I really liked this piece. Your insecurity about the first-person was just too delicious to ignore though.

Oh, I see. This is all part of you trying to "bait" me. Can I expect you to shit all over ALL of my threads?
No. Seriously - it was a one line tongue-in-cheek comment, not a vendetta. I like you, I like your writing, I just thought you were able to able to laugh at yourself sometimes too - my mistake. Sorry.

Pope Pixie Pickle

The way I se this piece is that the first person it uses is kind of UNIVERSAL. theres a little bit of this strain of thinking in everyone, which i'm pretty sure Roger already said.

My response to the txt in bold:-

Fictionpuss, you ARE a smug little cunt, arent you. Payne has more strength, heart and integrity in his little toe than you shall acheive in an entire fucking lifetime.

Asshole.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: fictionpuss on September 26, 2009, 04:47:29 PM

No. Seriously - it was a one line tongue-in-cheek comment, not a vendetta. I like you, I like your writing, I just thought you were able to able to laugh at yourself sometimes too - my mistake. Sorry.

Fictionpuss, you ARE a smug little cunt, arent you. Payne has more strength, heart and integrity in his little toe than you shall acheive in an entire fucking lifetime.

The Good Reverend Roger

Fuck off, you threadjacking shitbag.  This isn't Apple Talk.

Payne, let me know if you want the thread split.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Payne on September 26, 2009, 04:21:26 PM
Quote from: Cain on September 26, 2009, 04:18:01 PM
No Payne, every artist who ever uses the first person must necessarily be referring to events in their own life!

I liked it, by the way.  The "I could've been a contender" attitude, when mixed with laziness and disdain for others, is especially toxic and prevalent, in my opinion.

Of course, I was just Doing It Wrong. I should have made the lead character English, and have him be punched in the face CONSTANTLY, so that fictionpuss would have something to relate to.

I think if Fictionpuss was to go ANYWHERE  he would be punched for being an utter wanker.

Payne

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 26, 2009, 05:04:47 PM

No, it's okay. Thanks though.

Captain Utopia

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 26, 2009, 05:04:47 PM

Let me get this straight - a minor one-liner at Paynes expense, which he overreacts to, after I've already contributed to the thread.. makes me a "threadjacking shitbag"? Whatever.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Cain on September 26, 2009, 04:18:01 PM
No Payne, every artist who ever uses the first person must necessarily be referring to events in their own life!

Wait, really? Oh, shit...

Anyway, I thought this was an awesome thing. :mittens:

The Johnny

Quote from: Payne on September 26, 2009, 03:44:19 AM
I think someone might have missed the point a little.

I think it is a nice portrayal of how a lot of people are self delussionally narcissistic, having this kind of sense of superiority with no basis other than it being themselves... ignoring reality in favour of themselves.

and just my 5 cents... i found it that you got a little bit defensive assuming that i assumed that it was you actually thinking that, and simply not the first person thought process thru a third person view.

And then all of you started gang raping fictionpuss over nothing (unless this has to do with behaviour from other threads adding up)
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Payne

Quote from: JohNyx on September 26, 2009, 09:14:20 PM
Quote from: Payne on September 26, 2009, 03:44:19 AM
I think someone might have missed the point a little.

I think it is a nice portrayal of how a lot of people are self delussionally narcissistic, having this kind of sense of superiority with no basis other than it being themselves... ignoring reality in favour of themselves.

and just my 5 cents... i found it that you got a little bit defensive assuming that i assumed that it was you actually thinking that, and simply not the first person thought process thru a third person view.

And then all of you started gang raping fictionpuss over nothing (unless this has to do with behaviour from other threads adding up)

Let us examine what I was trying to convey with the OP first of all. I was making a point about how our illusions about superiority and entitlement are, ultimately, something we have to take personal responsibility for, but that the ideas and "memes" (for want of a better word) are given to us whole cloth by the culture we live in. We merely tailor them to fit us.

I said you weren't getting it as it is about ignoring the origin of some of those illusions, and the adaptations we make to them that make them appear to be our own. They are something that is 'outside' of us, but we force them to become our own. While this is not true for ALL our illusions, it is true for a great many of them, and that is what I wanted to write about.

I do not own the pictures I make for WOMP, I merely put a face and a caption onto a picture that someone else has made.

I did not address the whole question of the first-person thought process to you at all. It was in fact addressed to the two previous comments that were directed towards me personally in the manner of someone offering a 'shoulder-to-cry-on'. I felt that this was not an appropriate response to what I had to say. The ideas explored in the OP are thoughts and feelings I tend to believe are not processes I share with this imaginary persona, and I would choose not to be thought that I do. I feel I'm entitled to defensiveness on that score, and as this defensiveness was not directed towards you in any way you can shut the fuck up about it.

As for my attitude towards fictionpuss, fuck you man. Anyone on this board is entitled to whatever retarded opinion or behaviour they wish, on the proviso that the rest of us can mock the merry hell out of them for it. It's none of your business.

The Johnny

Quote from: Payne on September 26, 2009, 09:37:36 PM

Anyone on this board is entitled to whatever retarded opinion or behaviour they wish, on the proviso that the rest of us can mock the merry hell out of them for it.

OH-KEI PRINCESS
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Payne

Yeah, remind me not to produce anything serious or that might be viewed as content for this board again. It seems that almost all the threads I start on that premise get shat all over.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Payne on September 25, 2009, 11:26:55 PM
I live in a world where I believe smoking a cigarette (a stimulant) relaxes me. I harbour a desire for a relationship I could have had, once, believing that it would be perfect now. I can feel in my bones that I am special - above all the rest of the people that populate my world. Only fate has stopped me from being recognised for it.

I live in a world where achievement is subject to a law of diminishing returns. To keep the same pace of success requires ever greater effort. Eventually, getting out of bed in the morning will be a victory. I idolise and despise victims in equal measure because I am a victim myself. I too have been ground down by a world that refuses to see me, but I'm better than those other victims because I know how much effort I put into each and every success.

I love my illusions. I love everything about them. I hated them to begin with because they were made by those "others", but I tailored them to fit me (another success! Seriously, you should read my C.V. sometime, it's a catalogue of unrecognised genius and heroism). I have total control over that which controls me, honest.

My opinions are the only ones that matter. That really matter. I like a bit of variation, but I block out everything that is too far removed from my own ideas. Far easier to label them immediately and file that shit away than to argue it down. I know I'm right already, and that this opposition is merely the "others" trying to break me down again. It's easier to continue watching TV shows that agree with me, and reading authors that say what I want them to say (I'd rather read myself, of course, but those lucky bastards got published despite being obviously inferior).

If only it wasn't so difficult to gain my successes. To gain that inspirational spark. To seize back my potential from those who oppose me. Come the day I am recognised for what I really am, I will grind the "others" faces in my previous indignities. All I have to do is wait here to be discovered...

Holy shit, Payne, this is excellent!

:mittens:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."