News:

Hand drawn by monkeys in sweat-shop conditions.

Main Menu

Error There Has Been!

Started by ~, September 26, 2009, 11:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

~

Error There Has Been!

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

Rule One of any protest:

If you're orchestrating it, you should never end up being that close to the cops.  Ever.

Payne

Indeed. In fact I think I see Cain in one of those windows wearing an immaculately turned out suit, holding a martini glass and laughing manically.

Cain

I helped organise a couple of protests at Uni (after being caught in the original one without knowing what the fuck was going on, there is probably a thread in Apple Talk somewhere about that) and believe me, it was much better to be inside, on the phone and with a high-res map of the area than outside, in the freezing cold, attempting not to piss off the cops.

That's not to say I never did any heavy lifting on my own, only that when large numbers of people are around, I prefer to be...somewhere else.

As an aside, from what I have read, the G20 protests are a lame joke.  Smashing shit is not only an invitation for the cops to break your head open, its just cause in the eyes of the media.  Peaceful provocation is the key.  Be a jerk, but in a non-violent way, and make sure you have people standing back from the main confrontation, to catch it on the cameras when the police are given the order to charge the people who are being obstructionist rather than criminal.  There is a place for that Black Bloc bullshit, but you have to establish a favourable narrative first.  Else you're just getting your head kicked in while achieving nothing.

Payne

I've never participated in any kind of protests, but that sounds like the correct motorcycle to me none the less.

Cain

Well, I mainly joined the group in question because they managed to shut down the whole town very effectively, and I wanted in on the action.  They were a vaugely environmental lefty group, the usual stuff about ethical investment, recycling etc was the main focus.  However, there was also, as I found out, a more secretive inner circle, who took more direct action when required.

Good times were had by all.