News:

MysticWicks endorsement: ""Oooh, I'm a Discordian! I can do whatever I want! Which means I can just SAY I'm a pagan but I never bother doing rituals or studying any kind of sacred texts or developing a relationship with deity, etc! I can go around and not be Christian, but I won't quite be anything else either because I just can't commit and I can't be ARSED to commit!"

Main Menu

Unlimited WINDOWS 7 Memetic-Fail Thread

Started by Telarus, September 29, 2009, 07:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fomenter

this must have a drinking game to go with it right? blue screen - 3 shots
                                                                   start up in safe mode - 2 shots
                                                                   restart to finish installation - 1 shot
                                                                   error message - 1 shot
                                                                   IE automatically loads online help page - 1 shot
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

rong

i kind of remember windows 95 being sort of a big deal.

so who's gonna post pics of their wild and crazy windows 7 party?

"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Cain

Quote from: Slanket the Destroyer on October 01, 2009, 05:51:00 AMI'm running Windows 7 and I love it (I hated Vista and was ambivalent towards XP). To date my favorite OSes are Crunchbang linux (variant of Ubuntu), OS X 10.5 and Windows 7 in a 3 way tie. Some drivers seem to have some catching up to do, but I still like it a lot and have had few problems. I don't use any Cisco programs (I do like their routers though).

That sounds like quite a recommendation.  What in particular do you find so much better about it?  I haven't really followed much of the fanfare about Windows 7, so I don't really know what has supposedly been improved, etc.

Rumckle

I dunno,while I expect no sane person to throw one of these parties, it is going to get the rounds on the net seeing how stupid it is. Thus it gets the information out that Windows 7 is about to be released amongst the crowd who would most give a damn. And that same crowd aren't really going to be won over by Microsoft listing the features, they'd prefer some independent information/reviews.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Slanket the Destroyer on October 01, 2009, 05:51:00 AMCrunchbang linux (variant of Ubuntu)

I just googled this, looks pretty good. I may go for this when I turn my netbook XP into a dual boot. I wanted to get a minimalist window manager anyway, but most of them look ugly as fuck.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Requia ☣

Quote from: Cain on October 01, 2009, 03:32:05 PM
Quote from: Slanket the Destroyer on October 01, 2009, 05:51:00 AMI'm running Windows 7 and I love it (I hated Vista and was ambivalent towards XP). To date my favorite OSes are Crunchbang linux (variant of Ubuntu), OS X 10.5 and Windows 7 in a 3 way tie. Some drivers seem to have some catching up to do, but I still like it a lot and have had few problems. I don't use any Cisco programs (I do like their routers though).

That sounds like quite a recommendation.  What in particular do you find so much better about it?  I haven't really followed much of the fanfare about Windows 7, so I don't really know what has supposedly been improved, etc.

Its faster, but not above the difference threshold for most people to notice (4% is the only benchmark I''ve seen, the 50-50 for difference in speed is 5%), patches some old security issues and introduces new ones.  When I was supporting it it had the same strange issues with sound the Vista had (this may have been patched, that was months ago), it has a new UI, and there are some under the hood things that I don't fully understand (still no new filesystem).  10 bucks says they still haven't bothered to keep iTunes from breaking the optical drives.

Mostly, its a solution to the problem that most peoples' concept of Vista is Vista when it first came out (which was a nightmare) and not Vista now (which is a fairly decent operating system).
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Triple Zero

I'm backing up shit to my TERADISK clearing space and defragmenting as fuck to make space for some new partitions and get me some sweet ass linux asap, it's been too long in this smelly windows and the system is bogging down.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Cain

Quote from: Requia ☣ on October 03, 2009, 05:21:27 AM
Quote from: Cain on October 01, 2009, 03:32:05 PM

Its faster, but not above the difference threshold for most people to notice (4% is the only benchmark I''ve seen, the 50-50 for difference in speed is 5%), patches some old security issues and introduces new ones.  When I was supporting it it had the same strange issues with sound the Vista had (this may have been patched, that was months ago), it has a new UI, and there are some under the hood things that I don't fully understand (still no new filesystem).  10 bucks says they still haven't bothered to keep iTunes from breaking the optical drives.

Mostly, its a solution to the problem that most peoples' concept of Vista is Vista when it first came out (which was a nightmare) and not Vista now (which is a fairly decent operating system).

Right.  My computer could probably handle it, but since my Vista is patched and all up to date and everything, I probably wouldn't see to big a difference then?

Requia ☣

I wouldn't expect it.  I do expect to hear endlessly from people who think its faster because they were told it is though.  So if you pretend I never told you this, it might make you happy (or you might turn out to have an exceptional sense of time, its called a 50-50 for a reason)
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

So, who wants to start distributing DVD images over bittorrent labelled "Windows 7" that are a bootable Hitler photo slideshow?

*raises hand*

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Enki v. 2.0 on October 04, 2009, 01:20:00 AM
So, who wants to start distributing DVD images over bittorrent labelled "Windows 7" that are a bootable Hitler photo slideshow?

*raises hand*
:| I'd be in for seeding a few misnamed Ubuntu live cds. Or whatever flavour. Thing is, it'll get labelled "fake" on the tracker end after the first download, and that'll be that. Unless there's a way to avoid that happening, but I can't think of one.

Cramulus

skip the hitler pics, distribute windows 3.1

Triple Zero

Quote from: Cramulus on October 05, 2009, 03:46:03 PM
skip the hitler pics, distribute windows 3.1

That's what the Hebrews thought!

Rococo Modem Basilisk

It shouldn't be too hard to make an ubuntu livecd that looks at first glance identical to windows 7. I mean, the windows UI isn't particularly different from GNOME. Swap out the iconsets and change some default params, then rewrite some of the text. That wouldn't be much of a prank, though.

I have windows 3.11 on 17 or so floppies; it requires an appropriate version of MS-DOS to be preinstalled, and I don't feel like repackaging the whole thing as a disc.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.