News:

Not just a bunch of "Trotskyist, car-hating, Hugo Chavez idolising, newt-fancying hypocrites and bendy bus fetishists."

Main Menu

Oh no. Kitten advice? Please?

Started by Sir Squid Diddimus, September 29, 2009, 05:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

Squirm, Hide, and Squeeze...they now have their new names.  :mrgreen:

I hope you find good homes for them!
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Sir Squid Diddimus

:lulz:

Those names are pretty great actually.
Yeah. They'll get good homes.
I think they're starting to get used to people. One ate while I was petting it.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I currently have four in my house... Their mother left them neck deep in water during a rainstorm. However, there were no shelters with room for kittens and everyone apparently already has all the cats they want... So Kumo, Dora, Toes and the little Black Bear are still chilling at my place.

I suddenly feel like I'm turning into the weird Cat Lady...
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Sir Squid Diddimus

Heh.
I already have four of my own.
Two are mine and two are Mr Squids. You shoulda seen the day they met.

:lulz: man that was ugly

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Squid on September 30, 2009, 04:40:53 PM
Heh.
I already have four of my own.
Two are mine and two are Mr Squids. You shoulda seen the day they met.

:lulz: man that was ugly

We had two before these four troublemakers moved in.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Cain

Advice: done medium rare and served with chips, salad and garlic mayonnaise dip.

Sir Squid Diddimus

tsk, there's no meat on these things. it'd be worse than eating squirrel.

Cain

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Squid on September 30, 2009, 07:06:50 PM
tsk, there's no meat on these things. it'd be worse than eating squirrel.

HEY! :argh!:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: GA on September 30, 2009, 02:14:41 AM
Quote from: Nigel on September 29, 2009, 07:25:08 PM
Don't put them out, they'll die. So she'll be happy she got them back for about a day, and then they'll be dead and she'll be sad. For a day, and then she'll forget about them, which is what will happen once you put them somewhere she can't hear them.

Really?  I'm not saying you're wrong, I don't know much about cats, but it seems strange to think that cats are dependent on human assistance to get through infancy.  Seems like if mothers couldn't keep their kittens alive, cats should have gone extinct by now.

They're not dependent, but the mortality rate for feral kittens is pretty horrible. Why do you think we're not completely overrun by feral cats? Most of them die.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Nigel on September 30, 2009, 07:41:30 PM
Don't put them out, they'll die. So she'll be happy she got them back for about a day, and then they'll be dead and she'll be sad. For a day, and then she'll forget about them, which is what will happen once you put them somewhere she can't hear them.

Really?  I'm not saying you're wrong, I don't know much about cats, but it seems strange to think that cats are dependent on human assistance to get through infancy.  Seems like if mothers couldn't keep their kittens alive, cats should have gone extinct by now.

They're not dependent, but the mortality rate for feral kittens is pretty horrible. Why do you think we're not completely overrun by feral cats? Most of them die.

Yep, cats as they exist today have been genetically fucked for outdoor survival, most particularly during the first 3 months of life. Once they're big enough to hunt etc they do pretty well. Also, a lot of feral mothers appear to have no really useful instinct about being a Mom.

The babies we saved were born in the basement window well of our house. (Dunno why the mom thought this was a good place). When it started to rain she moved the kittens from the hole in the ground to a spot under a bush. Once the rain got worse and water started standing in the area... she took off for a dry spot in the backyard and left the 2 week old babies. When we got to them they were up to their necks in water and crying.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

The reason why most of them die is because people intervened when their ancestors were faced with the same situations, thus short-circuiting natural selection...
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on September 30, 2009, 09:59:35 PM

The reason why most of them die is because people intervened when their ancestors were faced with the same situations, thus short-circuiting natural selection...

So?