News:

Christians *have* to sin.
If they don't, it's like Christ died for nothing.

Main Menu

Oh no. Kitten advice? Please?

Started by Sir Squid Diddimus, September 29, 2009, 05:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 01, 2009, 11:09:57 AM
Quote from: Kai on September 30, 2009, 10:31:04 PM
Not that there's anything WRONG with that. Simply, domesticated animals require human assistance for survival. Its no different for dogs or cows or any other domesticated organism, and thereisn't anything wrong with that. Seriously, agriculture, which is ALL domestication in some way or another, is what allows us to be sedentary in large groups rather than nomadic in family groups.

Well, except for the splody-chickens.

You know, the ones that, even if you take em to a free range and let them play with the other chickens will just sit on their ass and grow and eat and grow until they sort of crush themselves from the inside with their own meat like 6-8 weeks after hatching. Which is still about twice as long as they would have had in the meat-factories.

I mean, sure, domestication is all fun and games, until your chickens strangle themselves with their own meat, you know?

I laughed so hard I damn near pissed myself.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 01, 2009, 10:13:17 PM
and in the bio industry, yes they just need a fertilized egg and a machine.

Trip. Stop for a sec.

What do chickens have to do in order to produce a fertile egg?

Hint: it involves not spontaneously dying before reaching reproductive maturity...

as for your other questions, I will watch the documentary again with a critical eye and see if it might just have been a chicken that was defective for reasons unrelated to being a bio industry chicken (I don't really remember the details it's been a while).

It really doesn't matter. A sample size of one chicken is meaningless. No matter how closely you observe it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Words cannot express how disappointed I will be if 'splodey chickens don't exist.

:sad:

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I have done some research on the most popular meat chicken in the US, the Cornish Rock Cross, and I have learned that 000 is totally right, or at least close, on several counts! To my great surprise.

Both Cornish and White Plymouth Rocks are pretty normal chickens, which is why this surprised me.

However, when crossbred, their offspring grow far faster than either parent bird, and the strain this puts on their hearts means that they are far more likely to die of heart failure than either parent breed. It's not so much that they collapse under the weight of their own meat, as it is that their hearts cannot keep up with the rate of growth. They are actually terrible breeders and almost always are first-generation hybrids, with the mother being the White Plymouth Rock (better layers) and the father being the Cornish.

So there it is... while a sample of one is still utterly meaningless other than for illustration purposes (and the odds that it would keel over were pretty low even so, unless they had it at a high altitude - they're not recommended for altitudes over 5000 feet due to the heart strain issue) the rest of my questions have been answered and Trip wins. Except for the "why would they play with it?" question. I still don't get that.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

High temperatures or temperature fluctuations are also really bad for these birds, apparently.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on October 01, 2009, 11:40:22 PM
I have done some research on the most popular meat chicken in the US, the Cornish Rock Cross, and I have learned that 000 is totally right, or at least close, on several counts! To my great surprise.

Both Cornish and White Plymouth Rocks are pretty normal chickens, which is why this surprised me.

However, when crossbred, their offspring grow far faster than either parent bird, and the strain this puts on their hearts means that they are far more likely to die of heart failure than either parent breed. It's not so much that they collapse under the weight of their own meat, as it is that their hearts cannot keep up with the rate of growth. They are actually terrible breeders and almost always are first-generation hybrids, with the mother being the White Plymouth Rock (better layers) and the father being the Cornish.

So there it is... while a sample of one is still utterly meaningless other than for illustration purposes (and the odds that it would keel over were pretty low even so, unless they had it at a high altitude - they're not recommended for altitudes over 5000 feet due to the heart strain issue) the rest of my questions have been answered and Trip wins. Except for the "why would they play with it?" question. I still don't get that.

hahaha

Sir Squid Diddimus

So, they basically fucked with nature till they got that thing that pukes instead of talking, shakes and quivers and turns itself inside out to poop?
Nice.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Squid on October 02, 2009, 05:11:36 AM
So, they basically fucked with nature till they got that thing that pukes instead of talking, shakes and quivers and turns itself inside out to poop?
Nice.

Goddammit, I love this fucking decade.   :lol:

TGRR,
Wishes he could turn himself inside out to poop.  Has the other qualities down.

The Good Reverend Roger

Hey, we could just give them little chicken pacemakers to keep them going until they're big enough for market.

Or just hire a geek to run around with a defibrillator and a dozen sets of batteries.

Sir Squid Diddimus

I'll do it!

CLEAR!

BUGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOCK!!!!!!

The Good Reverend Roger

Nast

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 02, 2009, 05:16:05 AM

Or just hire a geek to run around with a defibrillator and a dozen sets of batteries.

Ooh, good idea! And we'd only have to hire him for a poultry sum!

Sorry.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: Nasturtiums on October 02, 2009, 05:32:04 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 02, 2009, 05:16:05 AM

Ooh, good idea! And we'd only have to hire him for a poultry sum!

Sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hk98AIMwbc&feature=related

rong

Quote from: Nigel on October 01, 2009, 11:40:22 PM
Except for the "why would they play with it?" question. I still don't get that.

'round these parts we call it "choking"
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Triple Zero

the playing was a joke, they would sort of cuddle it, like a pet and talk nice words to it, cause they freed the chicken from the horrors of the meat factory and gave it a happy new organic life. it was hyperbole, they might have given it chicken chew toys for all that matter, I don't remember.

I'm really gonna watch that doc again soon, the bit about strangling on their own meat could have been heart issues just as well. And the sample size, why couldn't they have done their research (like you did) and show one chicken as an example? it would have been way less interesting if they'd show a scientific experiment with 100 chicks. maybe you don't understand, but the rescueing of a chicken from a meat factory wasn't to "prove" (in a scientific rigorous fashion) that this would happen, it was just part of a much larger story.

also, given that I was sort of right it seems, I will drop it for now and report back when I have actually rewatched the documentary. otherwise we'll just end up spoiling Roger's fun with facts instead of sploding chickens.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.