News:

If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

Main Menu

Google Wave Invites?

Started by Bebek Sincap Ratatosk, October 01, 2009, 04:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Anyone got Google Wave invites? I'm shamelessly whoring myself out for one.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Triple Zero

ssssh you're infected, don't sneeze so much.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Captain Utopia

I have four left, PM me your email (anyone) - can be disposable I think, as you can attach it to your google profile later.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Captain Utopia

No problem, you're in. Not sure how long it'll take - "Invitations will not be sent immediately. We have a lot of stamps to lick." - but I'd guess over the next 24 hours if it's anything like their previous signups.

Three left if anyone else is interested.

Eater of Clowns

I believe I PMed you, but I also might have timed out at work so I'm not sure.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Captain Utopia

Got it - 2 left - rollup - don't waste your $10 buying one on ebay.

It's not _that_ exciting yet, but it'll be neat to get a discordian influence in there early.

Eater of Clowns

Thanks, fp.  I'll be checking it out over the next few days.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Golden Applesauce

Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: GA on October 02, 2009, 06:50:54 PM
Wtf is Google Wave?

New collaboration tool which has the features of email, IM, Document Management, group chat, multimedia sharing etc all in one.

For example, I start a 'wave' (message) and invite Fictionpuss. Fictionpuss is offline so it works like email.

Fictionpuss comes online and replies to my message. I'm online so this works like Instant Messaging. We converse for awhile and decide to add GA. Now GA can see the Wave (and play it back to watch how the conversation developed). Replies can be nested inside waves, so one wave may have multiple threads within that wave. We can drag/drop multimedia content, or if the initial wave was the latest Discordian essay, the replies could be edits and markup which are visible to people already subscribed to the wave.

Then we can publish the Wave to a webpage and people on the webpage can also interact with the Wave, which we can see in our Wave client... all of this in real time (to the point that the default setting sends character by character in real time).

Of course, this is just the start. I think we'll see Wave replace many of the forms of communication we use currently. It can behave like email, IM, Forum, Wiki, Web publisher all at once.... and its all open source because they're hoping developers will look at it as a platform for new applications.

Oh and it can interface to your Android, iPhone, Blackberry etc in real time as well.

LMNO

If they can do this with music editing software, I will have to find a way to make love to the internet.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on October 02, 2009, 07:03:18 PM
If they can do this with music editing software, I will have to find a way to make love to the internet.

The key bit here is that the architecture is completely open sourced... So making it work for music editing is just a matter of a team writing the code.

LMNO

Time to start nudging Audacity in that direction, I suppose.

Holy shit, this could break things wide open.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on October 02, 2009, 07:21:22 PM
Time to start nudging Audacity in that direction, I suppose.

Holy shit, this could break things wide open.

I agree... I think this could be the next major evolution in communication on the web. There are some really cool videos at Google http://wave.google.com/help/wave/about.html#video The main video is the 90 minute presentation with crazy demo stuff. The other two are a little more direct/technical...

At the very least watch the 90 minute video and skip around through the demo to see what they already have in place. :)

LMNO

I gotta be honest, there is no way in hell I am going to watch a 90 minute internet video.