News:

MysticWicks endorsement: ""Oooh, I'm a Discordian! I can do whatever I want! Which means I can just SAY I'm a pagan but I never bother doing rituals or studying any kind of sacred texts or developing a relationship with deity, etc! I can go around and not be Christian, but I won't quite be anything else either because I just can't commit and I can't be ARSED to commit!"

Main Menu

Terry Pratchett

Started by Slarti, November 03, 2003, 01:19:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Efrim

Quote from: MaxwellsDemonYep, theres simply no other reason to vist the angel of islington.

Or to imagine a giant tentacle at the sound of "Mind the gap"
"There comes a time when every man feels the urge to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken

L,
Efrim

Slarti

on a side note, i just read Small Gods by pratchett. Very nice reflection about religious organizations.

Trollax

Quote from: Slartibartfaston a side note, i just read Small Gods by pratchett. Very nice reflection about religious organizations.

Are you kidding... That was inspired! Jeebus is still rolling in his grave!

Slarti

lol, it was a great book!

CannedLizard

That is (unfortunately) the only TP book I've read so far (sure to change over this summer).  Sheer genius, in the usual TP manner.

cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum.

"Will you help?"
V. You Don't Even Believe In Me!
"I'm a practical man."
VI. And Brave, Too, To Declare Your Athieism Before Your God.
"This doesn't change anything, you know! Don't think you can get round me by existing!"
POEE Pre-Chaplain Neon Irwin of the Bahumbug Pre-Cabal, CG, UE, KoBaSN

riff

Quote from: St. Trollax, ODD
Quote from: Slartibartfaston a side note, i just read Small Gods by pratchett. Very nice reflection about religious organizations.

Are you kidding... That was inspired! Jeebus is still rolling in his grave!

Not to threadjack, but if you can find it on Limewire, Kazaa, or whereever, I heartily recommend the episode of Penn & Teller's "Bullshit!" series in which they debunk the Bible.

Quote from: Penn JilletteIt is fair to say that the Bible contains equal amounts of fact, history, and pizza.
Here's where I've been, and where I probably am: http://www.kingdomofloathing.com.

CannedLizard

I just bought Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's Good Omens.

Looks like it's going to be lots of fun.
POEE Pre-Chaplain Neon Irwin of the Bahumbug Pre-Cabal, CG, UE, KoBaSN

riff

Quote from: CannedLizardI just bought Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's Good Omens.

Hell yes, you're in for a ride.
Here's where I've been, and where I probably am: http://www.kingdomofloathing.com.

yabba

HEy!!

Im new here...to terry pratchett, i started discovering the discworld series with "Mort" and i think it was a good start. I just love Mort, i still love it most, even after reading some more books of him.

have a nice day ;)
"All fire burns, little baby ; You'll learn" :)

Anonymous

I read Interesting Times, and absofugginlutely loved it. I haven't had a chance to get into the rest of his books though (too busy reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and some obscure Heinlein books). Is it just me, or is The Lady supposed to be Eris?

Malaul

Quote from: CannedLizardI just bought Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's Good Omens.

another great one is American Gods

***** rating
Coito ergo sum
O! Plus! Perge! Aio! Hui! Hem!
"You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy,the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named Bush, Dick, and Colon.  --Comedian Chris Rock