News:

That's okay, I know how to turn my washing machine into a centrifuge if need be.

Main Menu

A really lame idea...

Started by MaxwellsDemon, June 11, 2004, 12:11:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaxwellsDemon

Ok after reading Penumbrals moan that we just dont talk anymore... Thought Id suggest this.
The fair isle of Albion is in a frenzy of middle class book club style furtherence. Mainly due to a programme about herion that inexplicably had reading in it. Now being the king squid of bandwagon cuckoos. I thought we could set up a sort of forum based book club (no really, stop laughing). Someone picks a book (with at least a grain of discordian flavouring) and then we all read it and discuss it, the person who picks the book does a little schpeil as to why they picked it etc like a class presentation, then we add our comments or sumsuch.
What do you think?

"The need for mystry is greater than the need for an answer"
Ken Kesey

Bella

I think it can work.....even on a discordian forum because it's what we're already doing on the profane dog. It's a great idea and I'm all for it.

King squid of bandwagon cuckoos? I love it.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

Slarti

sure, i can probably do it, that'd be fun.

Malaul

Coito ergo sum
O! Plus! Perge! Aio! Hui! Hem!
"You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy,the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named Bush, Dick, and Colon.  --Comedian Chris Rock

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

"Time for the tin-foil hats, girls and boys!"

Rev Thwack

My balls itch...

Trollax

The Unadalterated Cat:
Terry Pratchett and Gary Joliffe

Malaria test subject #777

So how does this work?
Do we all go get the same book and read it so that we can have an intelligent discussion about it?

And do we agree on a date to begin?
Or not.
A lab accident in the sperm bank made me what I am today.

Malaul

Coito ergo sum
O! Plus! Perge! Aio! Hui! Hem!
"You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy,the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named Bush, Dick, and Colon.  --Comedian Chris Rock

Bella

Me too.
If I can find it at the one and only local bookstore.
Otherwise, I'll order it.

Later: My bookstore can't find this book to order it for me, and I can't even find it on Amazon.
just like in a dream

gnimbley

Quote from: SssBella, Oracle of DoomMe too.
If I can find it at the one and only local bookstore.
Otherwise, I'll order it.

Later: My bookstore can't find this book to order it for me, and I can't even find it on Amazon.

Maybe that's because Trollax mispelled the title.

Try The Unadulterated Cat

Here it is at Amazon

It does appear to be out of print and Amazon has only a few used copies (One is tres expensive.)

Bunch of used copies at MX bookfinder though.

Grampa Kaos

ok i'm game butt i need to find these books at the library  cause i'm a poor poor workingman....plus i got's to save cash fer a trip to new york city   yeehaw.....going to the BIG city..  just checked nope this one they do not have....
Myths and legends die hard in America. We love them for the extra dimension they provide, the illusion of near-infinite possibility to erase the narrow confines of most men's reality. Weird heroes and mold-breaking champions exist as living proof to those who need it that the tyranny of "the rat race" is not yet final.
     - HUNTER S. THOMPSON, 1937-2005

MEAT            C.R.S.F. cause i'm a joiner

Bella

Lets pick a book that everyone can find either at the library or the bookstore....although this one looks great.
just like in a dream

mobbing

the books I can join in are also limited. local bookstore has only a small amount of english books. and amazon or something over the internet is too slow.
So I won't be able to join every discussion.

one of my favourite books is Momo by Michael Ende
sigerm halkret meg tenibran kelfe zramt
favourite comic strip

MaxwellsDemon

Well, shiny mecurial bubbles of unexpected joy, we have a cabal, whoop de woo.....

OK How bout a book a month, everyone suggest somthing and we can use that handy poll thing to decide on what we read. The book that chosen should have presentation or some such by the choosee and then we go off to our bedsits/caves/snowpits and digest the tree ghost. Come back and discuss...

My humble suggestion is "V." by ST. Thomas of Pynchon.
Widley available from paper merchants everywhere and truely a glorious fornication of the mind.

"The need for mystry is greater than the need for an answer"
Ken Kesey