News:

PD.com: "the lot of you are some of the most vicious, name calling, vile examples of humanity I've had the misfortune of attempting to communicate with.  Even attempting to mimic the general mood of the place toward people who think differently leaves a slimy feel on my skin.  Reptilian, even."

Main Menu

Okay, so what the jabbering fuck IS "eprime", anygoddamnway?

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, October 06, 2009, 11:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Quote from: LMNO on October 07, 2009, 04:01:20 PM
It is my belief that you haven't lived until you've stuck your dick in a block of what appears to be bleeding tofu.

E-primed

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on October 07, 2009, 04:03:28 PM
It is my belief that you haven't lived until you've stuck your dick in a block of what appears to be bleeding tofu.

E-primed

:x
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 07, 2009, 04:47:38 PM

E-primed

My feelings upon reading this is somewhat like this smiley: :x

There has to be a way to get paid for doing this.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on October 07, 2009, 04:48:52 PM

E-primed

Consultant.  Rape them, Cain.  Make them pay.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cain

Isn't that what all consultants do?

Or, e-primed, isn't that what mosbunall consultants seem to do?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on October 07, 2009, 04:51:56 PM
Isn't that what all consultants do?

Or, e-primed, isn't that what mosbunall consultants seem to do?

Mosbunall??

Also, yes.  Do this thing.  There are a million suckers that run companies, and it is morally wrong to allow them to keep their budgets intact.

I've often thought of motivational speaking, myself, but I can't keep a straight face, which is something you Brits are famous for (also, the genetic ability for native Aussies to talk with their mouths closed* can't hurt, either).

*  Keeps the bugs out.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Halfbaked1 on October 07, 2009, 06:15:55 AM
The flyin fuck is Pataphysics?  *shuffles off to google*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/'Pataphysics

Quote'Pataphysics (French: 'Pataphysique), a term coined by French writer Alfred Jarry (1873 – 1907), is a philosophy or pseudophilosophy dedicated to studying what lies beyond the realm of metaphysics. It is a parody of the theory and methods of modern science and is often expressed in nonsensical language. A practitioner of 'pataphysics is a 'pataphysician or a 'pataphysicist.

There is also a literary device based on 'pataphysics

QuoteThe pataphor (Spanish: patáfora, French: pataphore), is a term coined by writer and musician Pablo Lopez ("Paul Avion"), for an unusually extended metaphor based on Alfred Jarry's "science" of 'pataphysics. As Jarry claimed that 'pataphysics existed "as far from metaphysics as metaphysics extends from regular reality," a pataphor attempts to create a figure of speech that exists as far from metaphor as metaphor exists from non-figurative language. Whereas a metaphor is the comparison of a real object or event with a seemingly unrelated subject in order to emphasize the similarities between the two, the pataphor uses the newly created metaphorical similarity as a reality with which to base itself. In going beyond mere ornamentation of the original idea, the pataphor seeks to describe a new and separate world, in which an idea or aspect has taken on a life of its own.[5][6]

Like 'pataphysics itself, pataphors essentially describe two degrees of separation from reality (rather than merely one degree of separation, which is the world of metaphors and metaphysics). The pataphor may also be said to function as a critical tool, describing the world of "assumptions based on assumptions," such as belief systems or rhetoric run amok. The following is an example.

Non-figurative
Tom and Alice stood side by side in the lunch line.

Metaphor
Tom and Alice stood side by side in the lunch line, two pieces on a chessboard.

Pataphor
Tom took a step closer to Alice and made a date for Friday night, checkmating. Rudy was furious at losing to Margaret so easily and dumped the board on the rose-colored quilt, stomping downstairs.
Thus, the pataphor has created a world where the chessboard exists, including the characters who live in that world, entirely abandoning the original context.[7]

pataphor, by the way, is device which is used extensively in many of the albums recorded by Firesign Theatre
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Template

Quote from: Cain on October 07, 2009, 10:24:21 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 06, 2009, 11:38:32 PM
Quote from: fomenter on October 06, 2009, 11:37:50 PM
new-age stupidity - turning a thought experiment that was supposed to break you out of a ridged world view... into its own ridged world view... yay lets eprime everything  :fap:

I can't.

I appear to be retarded in relation to this endeavour. :(

E-primed

E-primed

Quote from: Cain on October 07, 2009, 04:48:52 PM

E-primed

Damnit, Cain.  You did the exact opposite of what E-prime does!

Like discordia, I need not have respect for any other adherent of E-prime.  I will not defend them.

Ideally, E-prime encourages use of ACTION WORDS as the primary verbs in one's thoughts.  Fuck 'em if they don't improve for it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: yhnmzw on October 07, 2009, 06:41:00 PM
Like discordia, I need not have respect for any other adherent of E-prime.  I will not defend them.

Ideally, E-prime encourages use of ACTION WORDS as the primary verbs in one's thoughts.  Fuck 'em if they don't improve for it.

Wait.  You are an adherent of this douchebaggery?

Richter

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Template

I can use e-prime.  Triple Zero mentioned it favorably in his sig at one point.  I honestly did not know that stupidity also used that name.

I just used the One Rule:  "Never use to be."  Cheap and easy.  And I use "to be" as I wish now.

I don't remember why I used adherent.

Ever see that paragraph that has no letter "e" in it?  It doesn't seem strange until you know its trick.  Same thing here.  It doesn't have to be fucking retarded.  But some people do.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I don't worry much about e-priming around here anymore, because eprime is as likely to derail the conversation as much as any lack of clarity it was aiming to avoid. I used it for awhile in most of my posts/writings and tried to use it as much in speech as I could. For me, it was a good tool to get me out of the reality I was born and raised in... where everything was very black or very white. I was surprised at how the overt religious indoctrination appeared to infect my view of pretty much everything.

However, it can be overused (like by me)... its a great tool for internal use... its a good filter to run your comments/arguments/essays through to check for unintended bias. Its not so good for direct communication... at least not if the other people you're communicating with have a strong dislike for e Prime.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: yhnmzw on October 07, 2009, 07:29:07 PM
I can use e-prime.  Triple Zero mentioned it favorably in his sig at one point.  I honestly did not know that stupidity also used that name.

I just used the One Rule:  "Never use to be."  Cheap and easy.  And I use "to be" as I wish now.

I don't remember why I used adherent.

Ever see that paragraph that has no letter "e" in it?  It doesn't seem strange until you know its trick.  Same thing here.  It doesn't have to be fucking retarded.  But some people do.

I don't see the benefit.  Enlighten me.

LMNO

Some people feel that the language they use helps shape they way the think and see the world around them.

To this end, they feel that using versions of "to be" sets up an either/or mentality that misses the subtleties of perception; further, they feel that it creates a false indication of objectivity, when most things people say are entirely subjective.

But I thought you knew this, because I can't help remember you might have asked this question a year or two ago...

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on October 07, 2009, 07:55:43 PM
Some people feel that the language they use helps shape they way the think and see the world around them.

They're wrong.  Language is how they describe the world around them.  It's like mistaking math for science. 

Quote from: LMNO on October 07, 2009, 07:55:43 PM
But I thought you knew this, because I can't help remember you might have asked this question a year or two ago...

Probably.  My brain has the consistency of watery oatmeal, these days.