News:

It's not laughter if you're just going through the muscle movements you remember from the times you actually gave a fuck.

Main Menu

Okay, so what the jabbering fuck IS "eprime", anygoddamnway?

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, October 06, 2009, 11:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Quote from: yhnmzw on October 07, 2009, 07:29:07 PMTriple Zero mentioned it favorably in his sig at one point.

It was sarcasm/satire.

Really, "please read the above post to be in e-prime (whcih means you cant be offended, neener-neener)"

In hindsight, maybe I shoudl have written out the parenthesized bit.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 07, 2009, 11:52:27 PM
Quote from: yhnmzw on October 07, 2009, 07:29:07 PMTriple Zero mentioned it favorably in his sig at one point.

It was sarcasm/satire.

Really, "please read the above post to be in e-prime (whcih means you cant be offended, neener-neener)"

I thought it was pretty funny. But then, I've been on the board for a while, and in the middle of a few e-prime "conversations".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Template

It was sarcasm/satire.

Oh.  In any case, I hereby disclaim any and all ties to e-prime.  I enjoy the game of using English without any instance of "to be".  Any and all other aspects of e-prime can die in a fire.

And I imagine I could simply introduce the game directly in the future.  "Hey, who wants to play Who needs "to be"? "

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

It was sarcasm/satire.

NO WAI, I TOTALLY THOUGHT YOU WERE FOR SIRIUS!
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Cramulus on October 07, 2009, 10:44:58 PM
I think over 3/4ths of my posts are in e-prime, or in the spirit of e-prime.

I find that sensitivity towards language helpful in organizing my own thoughts and clearly articulating what I mean. It's a very precise use of language, but like scientific language, it isn't for every situation.

I suspect many people don't actually find the usage of e-prime annoying, so much as they find the word e-prime annoying. (Perhaps due to raw associations?) Reminds me of the word "meme" that gradually became really annoying to some people around here. I probably post more about memetics now than I did before the NO MORE MEME blitz, but have avoided using the word itself. (for memetic reasons  :p) It seems like discussion about memetics doesn't bug people, the usage of the word memetics bugs people.

This is why I'm enjoying Malcolm Gladwell's The Tipping Point, actually. It's 103% about memetics, but halfway through the book he has yet to use the word "meme" or any variant thereof. I think it's useful to get the same or very similar ideas filtered through different language.