News:

Feel my amazing brain. Go on, touch it!

Main Menu

TV and the Idea of Beauty

Started by The Johnny, October 07, 2009, 05:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Johnny

The modern aesthetical ideal of "skinny", the reason behind it has been attributed to runway models and mass media; in a certain way this is true, but this is a superficial vision of causality, from some previous place this must have come from...

When a person appears in TV, they seem to have more weight than in a direct "real life" visual appreciation. Assuming this is true, we can derivate taht, thru the importance of mass media in the transmission of aesthetical ideals, and due to this visual effect, multiple people started to adapt their bodyweights (or this kinds of persons were chosen for this medium) to what this "look-good-in-TV" required. And this is what caused the change of the notion of beauty, of a healthy weight towards a low weight, which in circumstances not so rare, floats in the limits between eating disorders and obsessive compulsive behaviour.

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Triple Zero

Ah I had to read this twice to get your point. With weight, you mean actual bodyweight, as in "the camera adds a few pounds". I interpreted it as "importance" or "authority" first and it got kind of confusing :)

I always wondered, is this "the camera adds a few pounds" actually really true?

I mean, I heard it, but I never really thought more of it than "one of those things that are said". But I don't know. Let me phrase this differently, these days we can see ourselves on video quite often, if we want to. Anyone have experience with looking fatter on camera than IRL? Cause I don't. I know, I'm skinny, but I'm neither more or less skinny when I see myself back on camera. It's even less weird than when I hear myself speak on tape. The only thing that surprises me is the sort of jangly, bouncy way I move around most of the time, but that's one of my features, apparently.

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Requia ☣

Supposedly there's some primal mechanism in humans that says fat is only good in uncertain times, skinny becomes the big thing thanks to the incredible prosperity we used to have.  There was a study done on Playboy models and the economy, that demonstrates a correlation (Jungeberg 2004).  Should be interesting to see how things go when people realize that the economy isn't going to get better for a long time.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

LMNO

Quote from: Requia ☣ on October 07, 2009, 08:08:01 AM
Supposedly there's some primal mechanism in humans that says fat is only good in uncertain times, skinny becomes the big thing thanks to the incredible prosperity we used to have.  There was a study done on Playboy models and the economy, that demonstrates a correlation (Jungeberg 2004).  Should be interesting to see how things go when people realize that the economy isn't going to get better for a long time.

Hopefully, it means I'll be pretty sometime soon.

LMNO
-fat, old bastard.

The Good Reverend Roger

Americans are funny.  A nation of fat bastards obsessed with an emaciated minority.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 07, 2009, 07:38:40 AM
Ah I had to read this twice to get your point. With weight, you mean actual bodyweight, as in "the camera adds a few pounds". I interpreted it as "importance" or "authority" first and it got kind of confusing :)

I always wondered, is this "the camera adds a few pounds" actually really true?

I mean, I heard it, but I never really thought more of it than "one of those things that are said". But I don't know. Let me phrase this differently, these days we can see ourselves on video quite often, if we want to. Anyone have experience with looking fatter on camera than IRL? Cause I don't. I know, I'm skinny, but I'm neither more or less skinny when I see myself back on camera. It's even less weird than when I hear myself speak on tape. The only thing that surprises me is the sort of jangly, bouncy way I move around most of the time, but that's one of my features, apparently.

It seems to be true.  My dad has been filmed before, on local news, and he certainly looked bulkier than he normally does.  I think it has to do with the quality of the cameras they use, as well as the dimensions.

Or simply since we're so used to putting thin, beautiful people on TV that when someone fairly average is put on, they appear bloated by comparison.  One or the other.

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Extra weight on camera happens because of lighting/shadows and the conversion from a 3D model to 2D. Or at least that's what I learned from the old engineer that trained me.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Johnny

Does that mean that black people look way fatter?
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Dimocritus

The idea of beauty has, no doubt, changed. Back in "the day" thicker women with wider hips were deemed more attractive because it was an indicator of healthy fertility. A woman that fit that description was less at risk for complications or death from giving birth. Maybe our concepts of beauty have changed to appreciate the thinner woman because, deep down, we know that this world can't stand having any more idiots brought into a world already stuffed full of them.
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

LMNO

Y'all probably won't believe me, but for me a lot of a woman's beauty comes from their face. 

I won't lie: A well-proportioned rack and a tight, full ass will turn my head, but it's only a fleeting reaction if I don't like their face.

For the most part, the surgical fixes for faces are pretty horrible at this point.

Dimocritus

Quote from: LMNO on October 15, 2009, 08:15:56 PM
Y'all probably won't believe me, but for me a lot of a woman's beauty comes from their face. 

I won't lie: A well-proportioned rack and a tight, full ass will turn my head, but it's only a fleeting reaction if I don't like their face.

For the most part, the surgical fixes for faces are pretty horrible at this point.

I beleive you. Outside of a few more obvious and functionally purposeful features, men are genetically programmed to be attracted to eyes and lips.

LMNO

:cn:

Sorry.  I personally agree, but still. 

Dimocritus

Found this in Academic Search Premier.

Talking: Smack. By: Dixit, Jay, Psychology Today
QuoteThe testosterone in saliva--and stimulation of our highly sensitive lips and tongues--may help trigger sex drive. Men exploit this, using kissing to induce sexual desire in women. Men may also unconsciously use kissing to assess the level of estrogen in a woman's saliva to determine her stage in the ovulation cycle and her fertility.

* TASTE TEST

Men are more likely than women to Initiate wet, open-mouthed, saliva-exchanging tongue kissing--since their senses of taste and smell are less acute, they need bigger, sloppier samples to gather enough information to assess compatibility.

* READ MY LIPS

The lips are nature's mood ring: They flush darker when a person is amused, signaling receptivity. Men are attracted to women with naturally large lips. which signal arousal and openness. Since lip plumpness peaks at age 14 in females, full lips also connote youth and good health.

I'll get back to you about the eyes.

The Johnny

Consensus about what is beautiful is something very relative.

I focus on skin tone, wide hips (that follow the waist-hip-ratio of .7X=X), and a flat stomach (from aerobic kind exersice, not anorexia nor anaerobic exersice). Also, im tired of fucking only seeing brown and hazel eyes around here.

I couldnt care less about lips.

-B.F. Skinner