News:

Testimonial: "PD is the home of Pure Evil and All That Is Wrong With the Interwebz." - Queen of the Ryche, apparently in all seriousness

Main Menu

Cocaine Vaccine

Started by AFK, October 07, 2009, 03:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on January 09, 2010, 03:02:05 PM
Hypothetically, (complete sci fi) if there was a vaccine that could vaccinate kids from the effects of cocaine if, or as a parent would you use it?

Personally I would say 100% No, BUT I do make most of my IRL decisions completely out of emotions, and if I was a parent I could totally see myself doing it.

Certainly not! There are a lot of drugs used in the medical field, especially cocaine, that are incredibly useful in the right context, and I would be potentially putting my child's life or at least well-being at risk if I made it so that those drugs would have no effect on them. I know they gave me cocaine during my surgery... I don't know what for, but I assume it was the best and most economical drug for whatever it is they needed doing.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

shit yeah, I'm'a go get me some surgery.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

as far as being serious, cocaine is used surgically as a topical anesthetic.

basically, they give whatever part of you they're operating on a big fat gummer.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on January 10, 2010, 12:28:09 AM
as far as being serious, cocaine is used surgically as a topical anesthetic.

basically, they give whatever part of you they're operating on a big fat gummer.

Why would I need a topical anesthetic when I was already under general?  :?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Also, LOL, they put cocaine up my nose!

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

East Coast Hustle

BadBeast

Quote from: MornTheOrator on November 01, 2009, 01:52:48 PM
Quote from: Kai on November 01, 2009, 12:49:14 PM
Quote from: MornTheOrator on November 01, 2009, 07:42:37 AM
Quote from: Nigel on October 31, 2009, 09:22:32 PM
Quote from: MornTheOrator on October 31, 2009, 08:12:01 PM
I'm trying deeply to find beneficial effect of this drug that seems to be a cocaine blocker that uses the immune system as a bypass that goes far beyond simply taking less cocaine, or taking no cocaine at all. Thus far I am bested by this problem of life.

Maybe one day.

It's for addicts who want to quit but are having a hard time.
I know, but what it apparently does is simply making cocaine less effective.

So,  what you can either do is simply take less to achieve the same effect.
Or you take the 'vaccine', and if you don 't have the willpower you're just going to use more cocaine to compensate for that it loses its effect and steal a car radio extra to finance this.

So unless I understand some part of this completely wrong, I'm really lost to how this could in any way be beneficial.

Drug addiction is more than just achieving the same neurotransmitter levels. Drug abuse is also about the environment in which you abuse, the sensory information involved in that. This is why giving suckers to nicotine addicts can be helpful because it gives them something to hold on to that simulates a cigarette.

A heavy coccaine user will keep taking coccaine likely, but a "vaccine" will wean them from the affect over time. Cold turkey has intense withdrawl symptoms.

And before you say it, no, they don't have that sort of self control.
Yeah, but nicotine patches are the logical inverse of this. Nicotine patches: You don't take the drug any more but you take some other thing that in reduced measure puts the effective substance in your system. The vaccine: You keep taking the drug but you take some other thing that reduces the effect of the effective substance in your system.

This thing should do the inverse of letting them quit, it makes them take more of it. It's the same thing as that people start tot take more and more of it because after a while it loses its effect. Same with this stuff, it just makes it lose its effect.

Nicotene patches have "Therapuetic" Nicotene in them. They just feed the same addiction, but use a different delivery method.  :lol:

So why not just make some "Therepeutic" Cocaine?
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Rumckle

Dude, are you being serious?
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

BadBeast

"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Rumckle

I guess I need to get my sarcasometer calibrated.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

East Coast Hustle

whether you were serious or not, it seems like a much better idea than the vaccine. One of the hardest parts about breaking an addiction cycle is the ritual involved. Kicking the physical addiction is hard enough, but kicking the rituals involved with the addiction is incredibly difficult as well. If you made a "cocaine patch", you remove the user's impetus to seek out the ritual as a precursor to delivery of the drug itself. No need to go through the cokehead social dance, the chopping and lining and/or cooking and rocking, and all that peripheral stuff that becomes an integral part of the experience. Purely based on my anecdotal and personal experience, I think it would be much easier to wean yourself off of a substance if you had already removed everything else associated with the use of that substance other than the delivery of the substance itself.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Exit City Hustle on June 09, 2010, 04:17:06 PM
whether you were serious or not, it seems like a much better idea than the vaccine. One of the hardest parts about breaking an addiction cycle is the ritual involved. Kicking the physical addiction is hard enough, but kicking the rituals involved with the addiction is incredibly difficult as well. If you made a "cocaine patch", you remove the user's impetus to seek out the ritual as a precursor to delivery of the drug itself. No need to go through the cokehead social dance, the chopping and lining and/or cooking and rocking, and all that peripheral stuff that becomes an integral part of the experience. Purely based on my anecdotal and personal experience, I think it would be much easier to wean yourself off of a substance if you had already removed everything else associated with the use of that substance other than the delivery of the substance itself.

That seems likely to me as well, based on my personal observations.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson