a note to my favourite board of spiritual advisors

Started by Ari, October 07, 2009, 11:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Quote from: Darth Cupcake on October 08, 2009, 02:56:12 PM
Quote from: LMNO on October 07, 2009, 11:22:44 PM
QuoteI want to ask the board, how do you stand knowing the truth about this fucked up world?
How do you endure feeling the perverted nature of this artificial world we live in?

You laugh. Laugh until you can't tell if you're screaming.

As weird as it sounds, I really find that this is essentially it. Tritely put: glass half full, or half empty? The world is going to be a giant shit sandwich that you must continue to take bites of every day no matter what the crap you do. There is no way to not eat the shit sandwich. The only way to opt out is to die. And I guess for some people that works, but I'm not there yet. So you can keep whining about how this shit sandwich tastes fucking AWFUL and you're not hungry and you really prefer wheat bread and jesus, couldn't they have at least stuck it in the microwave for a couple seconds so it's not so cold and rubbery? I mean c'mon, we're eating shit sandwiches when OTHER people get a 7 course dinner; it's just not FAIR! Or you can laugh and douse the goddamn sandwich in fucking hot pepper and once you've chewed it up a bunch you can spit it at people who piss you off and stick out your tongue and gross people out, and then you can laugh even harder.

No matter what, you're eating a shit sandwich. Accept it and laugh at it, and then do what you can with it.
Welcome to Horrormirth.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: planeswalker on October 07, 2009, 11:07:42 PM

I want to ask the board, how do you stand knowing the truth about this fucked up world?
How do you endure feeling the perverted nature of this artificial world we live in?

I was raised knowing the TRUTH about this fucked up world. I knew that humans had been on earth exactly 6000 years when I was born. I knew that Satan had been kicked out of heaven in 1914 which started WWI and I knew that "This generation that saw all of these things would by no means pass away" before Jesus came to put Satan in the Abyss, kill the evil leaders of Christendom and other False Religions, as well as all those evil government leaders... and anyone else who was a Bad Person.

Then I knew the truth about how he would heal all of our ailments and scars and injuries. God would raise the dead, bring us all back to perfection, we would no longer have to eat meat and we would be at perfect peace with the animals... just like in the Garden of Eden.

These days, I've decided that I don't know the Truth about this fucked up world... I only know the experiences I have, in the context that I had them. I'm perhaps more optimistic than many other Discordians... but after hearing that the world was gonna end, my entire life... the concept seems silly now. Almost every generation seems to  think that the world is gonna end in their time, that things have Never Been Worse. In some sense, they're right... the world that they were born into, the world that they grew up in WILL end. It likely will be destroyed before the end of their life, replaced by the next generations world... and that generation will see Armageddon come for them as well.

Life has gone on for millions of years (or thousands depending on what you believe)... I doubt we're in much worse of a shit sandwich than the people before us. I mean hell, a couple hundred years ago we'd be drinking Quicksilver for our health. We'd have a life expectancy of 30 or 40 years, we'd most likely be illiterate and work in fields with little time to think about how shitty the world around us is, or what our philosophy was. I'm not saying we live in a world of roses and candy, but this world is "fucked up" only in some sense... in many other ways, its amazing, fantastic, beautiful, mysterious, exciting and weird as hell.

I also don't see this world as artificial. It's as real as any version of the world before. Sure, people manipulate other people, but that's always been true. People treat each other badly, but that also seems a permanent part of our species.

For me, I can stand it and endure it because the world I live in right now, is a billion times more interesting, exciting, challenging and inspiring than the world that I grew up in.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: LMNO on October 08, 2009, 02:58:48 PM
Quote from: Darth Cupcake on October 08, 2009, 02:56:12 PM
Quote from: LMNO on October 07, 2009, 11:22:44 PM
QuoteI want to ask the board, how do you stand knowing the truth about this fucked up world?

You laugh. Laugh until you can't tell if you're screaming.

As weird as it sounds, I really find that this is essentially it. Tritely put: glass half full, or half empty? The world is going to be a giant shit sandwich that you must continue to take bites of every day no matter what the crap you do. There is no way to not eat the shit sandwich. The only way to opt out is to die. And I guess for some people that works, but I'm not there yet. So you can keep whining about how this shit sandwich tastes fucking AWFUL and you're not hungry and you really prefer wheat bread and jesus, couldn't they have at least stuck it in the microwave for a couple seconds so it's not so cold and rubbery? I mean c'mon, we're eating shit sandwiches when OTHER people get a 7 course dinner; it's just not FAIR! Or you can laugh and douse the goddamn sandwich in fucking hot pepper and once you've chewed it up a bunch you can spit it at people who piss you off and stick out your tongue and gross people out, and then you can laugh even harder.

No matter what, you're eating a shit sandwich. Accept it and laugh at it, and then do what you can with it.
Welcome to Horrormirth.

It tastes like shattered dreams. :cry:
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

LMNO

This Japandroids song might be relevant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOoHAbnhxNI

WE USED TO DREAM! 

NOW WE WORRY ABOUT DYING!

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: LMNO on October 08, 2009, 04:08:14 PM
This Japandroids song might be relevant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOoHAbnhxNI

WE USED TO DREAM! 

NOW WE WORRY ABOUT DYING!

Also relevant is this William Shatner song.

HE WANTS TO MAKE LOVE TO THE MOUNTAIN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU2ftCitvyQ
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Doctor Rat Bastard on October 08, 2009, 03:20:50 PM

I want to ask the board, how do you stand knowing the truth about this fucked up world?

I was raised knowing the TRUTH about this fucked up world. I knew that humans had been on earth exactly 6000 years when I was born. I knew that Satan had been kicked out of heaven in 1914 which started WWI and I knew that "This generation that saw all of these things would by no means pass away" before Jesus came to put Satan in the Abyss, kill the evil leaders of Christendom and other False Religions, as well as all those evil government leaders... and anyone else who was a Bad Person.

Then I knew the truth about how he would heal all of our ailments and scars and injuries. God would raise the dead, bring us all back to perfection, we would no longer have to eat meat and we would be at perfect peace with the animals... just like in the Garden of Eden.

These days, I've decided that I don't know the Truth about this fucked up world... I only know the experiences I have, in the context that I had them. I'm perhaps more optimistic than many other Discordians... but after hearing that the world was gonna end, my entire life... the concept seems silly now. Almost every generation seems to  think that the world is gonna end in their time, that things have Never Been Worse. In some sense, they're right... the world that they were born into, the world that they grew up in WILL end. It likely will be destroyed before the end of their life, replaced by the next generations world... and that generation will see Armageddon come for them as well.

Life has gone on for millions of years (or thousands depending on what you believe)... I doubt we're in much worse of a shit sandwich than the people before us. I mean hell, a couple hundred years ago we'd be drinking Quicksilver for our health. We'd have a life expectancy of 30 or 40 years, we'd most likely be illiterate and work in fields with little time to think about how shitty the world around us is, or what our philosophy was. I'm not saying we live in a world of roses and candy, but this world is "fucked up" only in some sense... in many other ways, its amazing, fantastic, beautiful, mysterious, exciting and weird as hell.

I also don't see this world as artificial. It's as real as any version of the world before. Sure, people manipulate other people, but that's always been true. People treat each other badly, but that also seems a permanent part of our species.

For me, I can stand it and endure it because the world I live in right now, is a billion times more interesting, exciting, challenging and inspiring than the world that I grew up in.

:mittens: I'm tired of thinking about the end of the world. Let's go find some interesting things to poke.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Eater of Clowns

It was my intent to partially comment on this in my last post, but Iason's Hebrews comment was just to goddamn good.

And we might well have been happier for it.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on October 08, 2009, 09:41:42 PM

And we might well have been happier for it.

Maybe, sometimes ignorance is bliss... but bliss can be a killer if you overdose.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Ari

thanks Rat. I knew you'd be around eventually. =)

jumps off happily into the night
パンクビッチ

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on October 08, 2009, 05:32:43 PM
:mittens: I'm tired of thinking about the end of the world. Let's go find some interesting things to poke.

YES YES YES!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

Nice post, Rat :mittens:

Also, post it on Verwirrung, perhaps?

(I dunno why, but I see a lot of posts out there lately that I think should not be lost in the middle of a thread, but pooped into out there, so that Others can read once more another one of the many faeces of Eris)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.