News:

Testimonial: "This board is everything that's fucking wrong with the internet"

Main Menu

Pills

Started by Golden Applesauce, October 08, 2009, 12:23:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on October 08, 2009, 04:55:56 PM
Can't be any stupider than huffing Scotch Guard....

WHAT?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on October 08, 2009, 04:49:11 PM
Quote from: Iason Ouabache on October 08, 2009, 04:47:01 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on October 08, 2009, 10:48:10 AM
There is this thing that some kids do where they will snag random medications from friends, family, etc., dump them all in a bowl and pop them like they are skittles.  Pill Party.  Also called Pharm Parties, or fish bowling.
:lulz: Sorry, but my bullshit meter is pegging. It sounds like the big scare over Sex Bracelets a couple years ago. Or, you know, jenkem.

I get this info from first hand accounts from police, parents, and kids themselves.  Are they all making it up? 

I tried to find info about this in the past, and generally ran into either Anti-Drug groups touting it, or researchers claiming it doesn't exist. I don't personally know anyone that has had any experience with such parties... which may just mean they're not popular in Ohio... dunno.

I found this in Slate on a quick Google search:

http://www.slate.com/id/2187384/
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

AFK

Of course, the fact that the media isn't covering it means it isn't happening.  Nevermind.  I'm not having this debate today. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 08, 2009, 04:59:07 PM

WHAT?

No troll.  Kids in Boarding Schools do very strange things.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on October 08, 2009, 05:06:30 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 08, 2009, 04:59:07 PM

WHAT?

No troll.  Kids in Boarding Schools do very strange things.

When I was a kid, we had standards.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

AIRPLANE GLUE OR GTFO.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Still doesn't beat the girls that chewed mothballs to get high. They were chomping them even while they were in the hospital for some mysterious illness.

:horrormirth:

AFK

rong

seems this isn't what this thread's about anymore, but i took pills to represent any external "fix" for any particular problem.  external as opposed to internal. 

good or bad doesn't really change whether a fix is a fix or not.  not being able to fix your own problems can hurt your pride a bit i suppose and could be construed as bad.
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

trippinprincezz13

Huh. While I've personally never heard of such a thing and it does sound kinda scare tactic-y, I don't don't that this might happen sometimes as it sounds like something stupid kids would do. Maybe I don't know enough junkies and/or dumb kids, but the people I know who do take pills sometimes prefer to know what they're taking rather than grabbing a handful and seeing what happens. That and well, there's money to made on certain pills rather than throwing them in for a community free-for-all. But, again - dumb kids.
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: trippinprincezz13 on October 08, 2009, 05:52:55 PM
Huh. While I've personally never heard of such a thing and it does sound kinda scare tactic-y, I don't don't that this might happen sometimes as it sounds like something stupid kids would do. Maybe I don't know enough junkies and/or dumb kids, but the people I know who do take pills sometimes prefer to know what they're taking rather than grabbing a handful and seeing what happens. That and well, there's money to made on certain pills rather than throwing them in for a community free-for-all. But, again - dumb kids.

I agree... it seems possible, but I don't see much evidence that its popular, or common. But, hell, given the behaviors I have seen... this sort of thing wouldn't surprise me. Also given the bullshit I've seen from the War on Some Drugs, I wouldn't be surprised if it were fiction.

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on October 08, 2009, 05:12:53 PM
FWIW:  http://www.connectwithkids.com/tipsheet/2005/250_oct12/party.html
That link states such parties exist, but provides no evidence. The quotes from teenagers basically say that they took prescription drugs and shared some with their friends, at parties. That's wildly different from mixing up random pills in a bowl and popping them like smarties. The former seems to be a real and pressing concern, the latter doesn't.

But moreover - if "pharm parties" are just another media invention, then stating them as fact seems likely to only inspire copy-cat incidences?

Mind you, I don't suppose that danger is high as market forces - the limited supply kids have to prescription drugs, and the different desirability of different drugs - makes it unlikely they'd just give away their stash anyway.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: rong on October 08, 2009, 05:50:34 PM
seems this isn't what this thread's about anymore, but i took pills to represent any external "fix" for any particular problem.  external as opposed to internal. 

good or bad doesn't really change whether a fix is a fix or not.  not being able to fix your own problems can hurt your pride a bit i suppose and could be construed as bad.

Sometimes they're a fix.  Sometimes they're just what you need.  Sleep.  A hard dick.  A sexy new car.  A vicarious fun, young life delivered via TV.  You can tell by the drug commercials...everyone's good looking, in a middle age way, and they're all so happy and affectionate to each other.  You need this.  Yes.  Yes, you do.

The Good Reverend Roger

My bad.  This thread is now about whether or not kids eat pills like Cheetohs at parties.

Sorry about that.

TGRR,
Off to smoke some banana peels.

AFK

No, I've started another thread for this discussion.  Please let's take it there and drop the conversation in this thread.  Sorry, it was not my intention for it to become a threadjack.  Feel free to split off those posts into the new thread.