News:

If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

Main Menu

Electric sheep, the 10th dimension, and other cool things.

Started by Fractalbeard, October 09, 2009, 01:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fractalbeard

Any technology distinguishable from magic is insuficiently advanced.

Soylent Green

I don't like the tenth dimension video because:

#1 It assumes that the fourth dimension is related to time and not space.

#2 It refers to the third dimension a fold, which is a dumb way to refer to it IMO

#3 It acts like a 2 dimensional object would be able to see all of another 2 dimensional object. Which is like saying if you look at a rubik's cube you can see all six faces at once.

Fractalbeard

I usually don't like the approach of thinking of the fourth dimension as time, but it works with this view, IMO. In regards to the third dimension as a fold, again, that works well enough with this view.

I do agree, though, that it assumes much about our world (like the existence of only three spatial dimensions). In fact, I'm not so sure his model is very practical. I do find it to be an interesting view, despite this.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insuficiently advanced.

fogukaup

I found his book "Understanding the 10th Dimension" along with Monroe's "Journeys of the Body"  behind a toilet in my dad's barbershop. Looked promising so I gave them both a try. I really liked his ideas on string theory but I too had a hard time following his logic leap from dim 3 to 4.  I want to believe but the i ching is more mathematically sound to me.