News:

PD.COM:  Mindlessly hitting the refresh button for weeks on end.

Main Menu

Electric sheep, the 10th dimension, and other cool things.

Started by Fractalbeard, October 09, 2009, 01:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fractalbeard

Any technology distinguishable from magic is insuficiently advanced.

Soylent Green

I don't like the tenth dimension video because:

#1 It assumes that the fourth dimension is related to time and not space.

#2 It refers to the third dimension a fold, which is a dumb way to refer to it IMO

#3 It acts like a 2 dimensional object would be able to see all of another 2 dimensional object. Which is like saying if you look at a rubik's cube you can see all six faces at once.

Fractalbeard

I usually don't like the approach of thinking of the fourth dimension as time, but it works with this view, IMO. In regards to the third dimension as a fold, again, that works well enough with this view.

I do agree, though, that it assumes much about our world (like the existence of only three spatial dimensions). In fact, I'm not so sure his model is very practical. I do find it to be an interesting view, despite this.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insuficiently advanced.

fogukaup

I found his book "Understanding the 10th Dimension" along with Monroe's "Journeys of the Body"  behind a toilet in my dad's barbershop. Looked promising so I gave them both a try. I really liked his ideas on string theory but I too had a hard time following his logic leap from dim 3 to 4.  I want to believe but the i ching is more mathematically sound to me.