News:

PD.com: children are filled with joy, adults are filled with dread and local government is filled with stupid

Main Menu

the math poll

Started by rong, October 10, 2009, 12:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pick one, please

math was invented
14 (43.8%)
math was discovered
4 (12.5%)
it's a little bit of both
8 (25%)
don't know
2 (6.3%)
don't care
4 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Kai

Quote from: GA on October 11, 2009, 07:36:34 PM
Quote from: LMNO on October 11, 2009, 06:56:51 PM
Math "is" an abstracted system that was invented to approximate certain aspects of reality. It usually does a fairly good job, but it is still an imposed pattern laid across Reality.

Pi "is" 3.14 in base 10. And ONLY in base 10. 

In base 13, Pi "is" 3.1AC1049052A2C7.

So then what's the ratio between the square of the radius of a circle and the area enclosed by the circle?

A mathematical expression of the relationship between the two.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

LMNO

That concept does not exist in nature. It is an artifical concept that is only possible within the stucture of the system we created.

Kai

Quote from: LMNO on October 11, 2009, 07:40:09 PM
That concept does not exist in nature. It is an artifical concept that is only possible within the stucture of the system we created.
[/quote

ALL CONCEPTS ARE ARTIFICIAL!

[/postmodernist]
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Golden Applesauce

I thought you were trying to say that pi doesn't really exist because it has a decimal notation approximation and a base-13 approximation.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

MMIX

I just want to know who thinks it is "a little bit of both" and have them try to explain how that would work, because trying to think about the ramifications of that position it is making my head 'splodey . . .
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

LMNO

Quote from: GA on October 11, 2009, 08:14:01 PM

I thought you were trying to say that pi doesn't really exist because it has a decimal notation approximation and a base-13 approximation.

maybe I'm saying a lot of things. Maybe I'm also saying that there is no place you can point to that equals "pi". Eventually, you have to approximate. Pi is a metaphor for a relationship that only exists in the framework of a created language. 

MMIX

Quote from: LMNO on October 12, 2009, 01:54:15 AM

maybe I'm saying a lot of things. Maybe I'm also saying that there is no place you can point to that equals "pi". Eventually, you have to approximate. Pi is a metaphor for a relationship that only exists in the framework of a created language. 

Agreed, though I'm not convinced that it is completely accurate to define pi as being a metaphor - it seems to me that it is better to identify it as a genuine measurement - the issue lies in the very existence of Numbers and not in the ways in which we manipulate them, pi was calculated based on the mathematical framework which devolved from the creation of the concept of Number. Also something that has been niggling me since further up the thread is that IF mathematics is the language of the universe don't you think that its a bit weird that the universe only speaks to humans . . .
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Captain Utopia

Quote from: MMIX on October 12, 2009, 03:06:34 AM
Agreed, though I'm not convinced that it is completely accurate to define pi as being a metaphor - it seems to me that it is better to identify it as a genuine measurement - the issue lies in the very existence of Numbers and not in the ways in which we manipulate them, pi was calculated based on the mathematical framework which devolved from the creation of the concept of Number. Also something that has been niggling me since further up the thread is that IF mathematics is the language of the universe don't you think that its a bit weird that the universe only speaks to humans . . .
But, you can't calculate PI. Name one thing it is a genuine measurement of.

Mathematics is the language of the universe to humans in the same way that the highway code is the language of the road to an ant.

LMNO

But no one here said it was the language of the universe. The post in question was talking about "they say".
Math isn't the language of the universe. Math is the language we use to describe the universe. 

Captain Utopia

Quote from: LMNO on October 12, 2009, 03:22:31 AM
But no one here said it was the language of the universe. The post in question was talking about "they say".
Math isn't the language of the universe. Math is the language we use to describe the universe. 
I agree, and I was agreeing. I guess that wasn't immediately clear. Or expected.

Fractalbeard

Math is most certainly a constructed, invented thing. However, within that construct, there is much to discover. For example, Pi the number can be considered an invention. On the other hand, the fact that there is a relationship between the radius and circumference/area of a circle is something discoverable within the construct of math. In fact, that it is equal to (or approximated by) 3.14... in base 10 may be discoverable. Our construction of base 10 once again lies within invented.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insuficiently advanced.

MMIX

Quote from: fictionpuss on October 12, 2009, 03:16:37 AM
But, you can't calculate PI. Name one thing it is a genuine measurement of.

But I don't NEED to calculate pi . . . its already been done:-
QuoteIn the twentieth century there have been two important developments: 
the invention of electronic computers and the discovery of much more
powerful formulas for pi. For example, in 1910 the great Indian
mathematician Ramanujan discovered a formula that in 1985 was used to
compute pi to 17 million digits.

Other even better methods have been developed since, and computers are
getting ever more powerful. The current record is about 51 billion
decimal places.

-Doctor Wilkinson,  The Math Forum

Therefore the answer to your second point is that the search for the ultimate pi is a genuine measure of the obsessive nature of the mathematical fraternity and their desperate need to get out of their mothers' basements . . .

Quote from: fictionpuss
Mathematics is the language of the universe to humans in the same way that the highway code is the language of the road to an ant.

This could be taken in at least two ways
1] Maths rolls over people like trucks roll over ants - possibly my favourite as maths = not my fave
OR
2]When I said universal language I was jiving off the "belief" [yep, notice them scare quotes] that there is an underlying mathematical "reality" which can be accessed and shared across human linguistic barriers and potentially alien species boundaries. I'm not at all convinced that mathematics is universal in that sense - though re-reading my post I don't think I was sufficiently clear on that point

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: LMNO on October 12, 2009, 01:54:15 AM

Quote from: fictionpuss on October 12, 2009, 03:16:37 AM
Name one thing it is a genuine measurement of..

I WILL KILL A MOTHERFUCKER

There are plenty of things that are exactly equal to pi.  Pi is one-half the period of the sine and cosine functions, for starters.  It shows up in integrals, derivatives, and differential equations all the time as well, e.g.,

There are also a ton of infinite series and continued fractions that converge to pi - Euler found a lot of really cool ones.

Pi isn't a metaphor for a relationship - pi is the relationship.  Decimal approximations are an approximation; pi itself is not.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Requia ☣

QuotePi is one-half the period of the sine and cosine functions, for starters.

The period of a sine or cosine function is based on the percentage of a circle traveled.  pi related because pi is 1/4th of the circumference of a circle of radius one *by definition*.  (even then its kindof artificial, I can use 90 degrees instead of pi just as easily)

You can get pi out of the other equation you described because thats also related to a circle.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Triple Zero

I just want to mention that the perfect circle does not exist. In order to calculate the ratio of a circle as wide as the currently visible universe, accurate to the proton, you only need Pi up to the 52nd decimal.

So, no I don't really understand what those Japanese in the pi decimal memorization contests were about, either.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.