PD.com: You're safer in New Bedford.

Main Menu

The Reappropriation of Maps

Started by Roaring Biscuit!, October 19, 2009, 02:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on October 21, 2009, 07:38:51 PM
I'm calling you out, Nigel.

I think that only a small percentage of people have actively abandoned their potential.

The rest never even knew it existed.

so what if they never did well on a test? If Little Orange flunked an "intelligence" test, do you think anyone would be fooled? No, she's smart.

So, It would seem that by you not giving them a chance, you are equally to blame.

How am I supposed to give them a chance? Do I go to the mall and invite five of them home with me? Proselytize? Give them jobs? Why don't you give them a chance? ALL OF THEN LMNO. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

"Give them a chance" is laughable simply because it implies that I have some kind of power to make a change in whether billions of people actualize themselves.

All I can do is try to encourage people I am in direct contact with to realize their potential. My spawn included. Or hopefully make a few people ask questions by jaking. That's as far as my sphere of influence extends.

And, as I said before, it's not that I put a lot of stock in IQ tests... it's that when I think about "average", and then I think about "below average", it makes me depressed. Because that is what the mall is full of. Twelve blocks from my house. You want me to love them? Each and every one? Well, I don't. I love the fragile monkeys that I know directly, and I have a general concern about the welfare of the rest of them because I think this planet is going to shit, but I don't love them and there is no such thing as me "giving them a chance". 
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

the other anonymous

GIVE HATING TOA A CHANCE!

I still wanna see the OP rewritten to be more convincing and proselytizingist!

-toa,
will stop at nothing to be post-post-pre-re-excommunicated

Captain Utopia

Quote from: the other anonymous on October 22, 2009, 01:18:41 AM
GIVE HATING TOA A CHANCE!

I still wanna see the OP rewritten to be more convincing and proselytizingist!

-toa,
will stop at nothing to be post-post-pre-re-excommunicated

:ignore:

Quote from: Nigel on October 22, 2009, 01:16:44 AM
How am I supposed to give them a chance? Do I go to the mall and invite five of them home with me? Proselytize? Give them jobs? Why don't you give them a chance? ALL OF THEN LMNO. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

"Give them a chance" is laughable simply because it implies that I have some kind of power to make a change in whether billions of people actualize themselves.

All I can do is try to encourage people I am in direct contact with to realize their potential. My spawn included. Or hopefully make a few people ask questions by jaking. That's as far as my sphere of influence extends.

And, as I said before, it's not that I put a lot of stock in IQ tests... it's that when I think about "average", and then I think about "below average", it makes me depressed. Because that is what the mall is full of. Twelve blocks from my house. You want me to love them? Each and every one? Well, I don't. I love the fragile monkeys that I know directly, and I have a general concern about the welfare of the rest of them because I think this planet is going to shit, but I don't love them and there is no such thing as me "giving them a chance". 

:mittens:
This should be a letter!

Kai

IQ is a measure of one's effectiveness in one channel/way/method of thinking, directed by one method of testing said channel/way/method.

There are many channels/ways/methods of thinking. Therefore, IQ does not effectively measure intelligence, only one sort of intelligence that is of interest to certain groups of people/occupations/universities/etc.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Jenne

After looking at the GATE (Gifted and Talented Education) measurements when my boys took the exam, it seems to me there is not one way of measuring intelligence or talent.  So to rely on one methodology is just plain ignorant and disingenuous.  The data collected in most of these types of exams has a specific purpose, and assessments are usually designed with this purpose in mind.  That's a rather long way of saying Kai is right.

rong

it's also possible that the majority of people are above or below average.  allow me too illustrate:

suppose 9 people (or 90 percent of the population) has an IQ of 104 and 1 person (or 10 percent) has an IQ of 70.  then the "average" IQ is 100.6 and most people are above average.

or 90% have an IQ of 96 and 10% have an IQ of 135.  then most people are below average.

with that said, i wouldn't be surprised if intelligence (regardless of how it is measured) is distributed bimodally (or possibly tri-modally for that matter).
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I thought it was assumed to be a normal distribution.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Like I said, it's not the IQ test aspect  that depresses me, which is why I dismissed that aspect, it was the reminder that half the population is below average intelligence regardless of how, or even whether, you try to measure it, and average is already depressing.

But there's no real reason you should pay attention to what I actually said. Instead you should continue to reply to what you decided I said, because I quoted Requia's mention of IQ scores before I mentioned I don't hold stock in them.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cramulus

if it makes you feel better, the other half of the population has above average intelligence.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cramulus on October 22, 2009, 06:37:26 PM
if it makes you feel better, the other half of the population has above average intelligence.

Actually, that does make me feel better. Thank you, Cramulus.

Roaring Biscuit!

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 20, 2009, 07:32:49 PM
Quote from: Nigel on October 20, 2009, 06:36:31 PM
Quote from: the other anonymous on October 20, 2009, 04:39:14 PM
Remember that, by definition of 100, half the world has a two-digit IQ.

This actually makes me want to die.

I try to never think about it. I am not OK with this on a pretty major level. I am not a big believer in IQ testing per se, because I think it is massively flawed. But the fact that so many of the "humans" I share a planet with are about as smart as a goddamn chinchilla really depresses me.

one tiny glimpse of light is that the 100 standard was set a long time ago and hasnt been updated since (citation needed, but I heard it somewhere), and that the current average is actually a bit higher than 100. check wikipedia for stats, i suppose.

actually the 100 standard was set a long time ago and is almost constantly reset.  On average the western populations IQ is rising by 6 points every decade, but 100 is an easy number, so the tests get restandardized every so often.