News:

Testimonial: "Yeah, wasn't expecting it. Near shat myself."

Main Menu

I give it until tomorrow before this causes a shitstorm.

Started by La Terrorista, October 15, 2009, 05:46:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

QuoteSome Tutsi men in Rwanda exceeded the current world high jump record of 2.45 meters during initiation ceremonies in which they had to jump at least their own height to progress to manhood.

Sloppy writing.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Requia ☣

Quote from: Cain on October 15, 2009, 09:23:47 AM
Quote from: Requia ☣ on October 15, 2009, 06:45:48 AM
Yep, of course the late period fuckers had bigger brains then us, and tools to match.

Are you sure?  Everything I've read suggested they had a smaller toolkit than contemporary Cro-Magnon.

Also, they didn't store food.  Some would consider this a flaw, and it may suggest they lacked the social organisation for long-term planning.

Early Neanderthal had a very weak comparative toolkit.  They appear to have gotten smarter quickly (read, they were dying off as a species and the dumb ones went first).  The late toolkit is considered to be as efficient, though quite different, than the cro magnon stuff.

Quote from: Slanket the Destroyer on October 16, 2009, 09:58:13 PM
Quote from: Requia ☣ on October 15, 2009, 06:45:48 AM
Yep, of course the late period fuckers had bigger brains then us, and tools to match. We should probably be thankful our ancestors took them out so quick, or they'd have gotten guns first.

The size of a brain is not necessarily relative to intelligence. Just sayin.

True (see H. Floresiensis for a good example a small brained tool using species) but a bigger brain would have to come with some kind of benefit, bigger brain=more calories to stay alive.  If the big brain doesn't help in some way to get more food, such a mutation isn't going to spread.

Though their brains developed in very different way from ours, so you'd also expect to see different kinds of intelligence.  the long term planning cain mentions may come in because judging by skull shape they didn't have a huge frontal lobe,  Which in modern humans at least, would seriously screw up the ability to think ahead and judge risks (see teenagers).  Tis would also explain the huge number of broken bones (consistent with accident rather than violence) in Neanderthal finds.

Quote from: Kai on October 15, 2009, 01:31:04 PM
This is all well and good, but my question,

what the hell muscle is a forcept?

I think I confused forearm and bicep or something there, should read forearm muscles.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.