News:

In my heart I knew that rotten testicles and inflamed penises were on the way.

Main Menu

REVOLUTION UP IN THIS BITCH! ...brought to you by NPR.

Started by LMNO, October 15, 2009, 03:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

http://www.onpointradio.org/2009/10/will-inequality-lead-to-revolution

QuoteOne year after a public bailout, the bonuses are back — big-time — at Goldman Sachs. The headline now: a $23 billion bonus pool estimated on the way for the bankers.

Meanwhile, unemployment is sky high. Foreclosures, too. And middle class anxiety.

You can feel the discontent, the anxious volatility in America right now. My guest today says one way or another it's the stuff of revolution.

Remington

Revolution? Probably not.

But a bloody riot that ends with the executives of Goldman Sachs brutalized by an angry mob? Hopefully.
Is it plugged in?

Cain

Bullshit.

I remember they predicted a "summer of rage" over here.  What actually happened is a scary Marxist academic jokingly said they were going to have a revolution during the May Day protests, a chair was thrown through a window, some cops gave a guy a heart attack, and the banks got told to stop being naughty, or else they'd hurt Gordon Brown's feelings.

Ooo, feel the rage.

Idem

The populous is still ignorant about who their enemies actually are.  Sachs et al are, for the most part, considered neutral participants in this scheme; the ultimate burden of "change" lies on politicians' shoulders.  The "revolution" keeps stalling until next election year.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Mjeh. The May 1968 riots in Paris were probably more violent and political than anything anyone has been tweeting about (note that the context involved people physically attacking each other about how progressive their favourite typeface-related movements were). A populist revolution would probably never quite live up to that failure -- even if only because of the governance con.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Jenne

Gee, I'm so SHOCKED that the banking system is continuing to rake in cash and inflate the Wall Street numbers meanwhile no one else has any money or homes to live in.

When I heard the DOW jumped over the 10K fence yesterday due to higher projections on retail sales, I thought, "Who's been buying yachts again?"  Because everyone I know is trolling garage sales and resale shops.

Halfbaked1

My wife now has justification in rummaging thru yard sales.  The Tea Parties were a fun little diversion here, but they were nothing but a ratings raiser for Fox.  I cannot even begin to think of what would REALLY spark a revolution to todays America. 

Requia ☣

If they took away the teevee.  Thats the only thing I can think that would do it.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Halfbaked1

Quote from: Requia ☣ on October 15, 2009, 08:33:07 PM
If they took away the teevee.  Thats the only thing I can think that would do it.

By the heavens you are correct.  And suddenly I am laughing and crying at the same time...THIS WORLD NEEDS AN ENEMA!

BabylonHoruv

You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Kai

If the television was taken away the largest riot you could possibly imagine would happen, and it would be glorious.

Take it away, and keep it away. The world would be better for it. (Cf. Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television)
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Halfbaked1

But, but, but...I thought the revolution would be televised?  I was gonna Tivo it.
:lulz:

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

The Johnny

Quote from: Kai on October 15, 2009, 10:04:18 PM
If the television was taken away the largest riot you could possibly imagine would happen, and it would be glorious.

Take it away, and keep it away. The world would be better for it. (Cf. Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television)

OH I LOVE THAT BOOK

The biological part of the argument for its elimination resounded particularly scary to me: how TV puts you into alpha state, and how advertisements sink into your unconscious (i guess that part is obvious, but it never hurts to restate it)

I particularly think that one of the most fundamental chains to the "objectivization of morals and idealsTM" is TV.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Requia ☣

Er... An alpha state is normal for anyone whose relaxed or involved in something that needs imagination.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.