News:

PD.Com: Pretention in a can.

Main Menu

Film Flam

Started by Dimocritus, October 15, 2009, 11:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Faust on June 03, 2011, 09:23:30 AM
I saw X-men last night, Visually it looks amazing. I love the sixties fashion and decor. The action scenes were all well thought out uses of the characters powers and the CGI looked well which can really kill the suspension of disbelief for these kind of films. The plot was decent, if a little flimsy in places but overall this is the best comic book film in a long time.

My only main beef with the film is a spoiler so look away now and it is that in the climax of the film Michael Fassbender's accent switches into a thick Northern Irish accent, it's so jarring it kind of ruins the scene especially because it is so out of nowhere. In fact it happens immediately after he puts on the magneto helmet so perhaps its some kind of cursed RPG item: Helm of psychic resistance, curse: ridiculous accent.

In short even though this is far from a perfect film, even in the weaker parts everyone looks fabulous so a lot can be forgiven.

Aside from the problem of Kevin Bacon being completely unbelievable?

I mean really Kevin Bacon?

Faust

He was really good as sebastian shaw, but poor as a nazi.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Freeky

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Your Evil Stepmother on May 09, 2011, 03:58:19 AM
Anyways. I finally saw Kick Ass today. It was good, not quite what I expected, which I think was more humor. It actually gets quite serious and violent, which was a nice spin.

Scott Pilgrim VS The World, however, is now probably in my top 10 movies of all time. It's fucking amazing.
Saw both of those within a month of each other.

1) Hit Girl is the single best character in the history of motion pictures. Anyone who disagrees gets cut.

2) Scott Pilgrim was incredible. I need to watch it again because I know I missed a bunch of the references the first time.

3) Don't know if it was mentioned in this thread yet, but Wristcutters is an excellent movie. The ending pissed me off for reasons that I cannot explain without giving away the whole plot.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Iason Ouabache

Also, "Exit Through the Gift Shop" is one of the best mindfuck movies ever. Go see it right now! Especially you, Cramulus.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Cain

So, the ending to Suckerpunch is pretty obvious.  Without giving too much away, it became a near-certainty for me the first time Baby Doll danced, because once you open the door to that kind of thing, you've opened it to happening before and no-one actually realizing it.

Apart from that it seemed a rather contrived effort to get Emily Browning into a school uniform and explain why she's killing Zombie Robot Orc Nazis dressed that way.  Though I liked the backdrop to the WWI scene.  That was pretty good.

Freeky

Faust

Quote from: Cain on June 23, 2011, 07:44:55 AM

Apart from that it seemed a rather contrived effort to get Emily Browning into a school uniform and explain why she's killing Zombie Robot Orc Nazis dressed that way.  Though I liked the backdrop to the WWI scene.  That was pretty good.

That was my favourite random action scene too. He shouldn't have tried to shoehorn in a plot, if everything but those sequences had been removed the movie would have been a lot better paced and a fairly consistent story.

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

just dled the extended version. havent seen the original

Jenne

I took myself to see it in the movie theater after the build up over it on this site.  I expected to be severely underwhelmed, and therefore was pleasantly pleased. I like to save my forays into the actual movie theater for the action movies (rom coms, comedies and the like are just fine on my "small screen" at home), and I wasn't underwhelmed by my choice in watching this one all blown up with large booming sounds.  The plot was eh, but I went to watch boom boom cha cha cha, not some deep philosophical film.

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

im 18 min in and its retarded.

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

yeaaahhh that was horrible....the action scenes were just as bad as the rest of it. i feel like my brain just died.

Don Coyote

WHAT?!?!?!?!

Eh. I loved the action scenes.

Cain

Quote from: Faust on June 23, 2011, 10:36:57 PM

That was my favourite random action scene too. He shouldn't have tried to shoehorn in a plot, if everything but those sequences had been removed the movie would have been a lot better paced and a fairly consistent story.

Or, alternatively:

In Alternative Steampunk WWI era England, a crack team of anarchist Suffragettes are sent to prison for a crime they probably committed (and it was awesome).  Meanwhile, in Germany, the forerunners of Nazi occultists and German engineers come up with a plan to win the war - reanimating killed German soldiers and sending them to the front.  Cue MacGuffin plot of German scientist/facility/general that needs to be killed to stop the reanimation process.   Suicide squad is prepared for the mission, and picked from prison.  Vague talk of giving the women the vote once the war is over.  Then ACTION!

It took me exactly three minutes to come up with this plot.

Faust

Quote from: Cain on June 25, 2011, 05:29:27 PM
Quote from: Faust on June 23, 2011, 10:36:57 PM

Or, alternatively:

In Alternative Steampunk WWI era England, a crack team of anarchist Suffragettes are sent to prison for a crime they probably committed (and it was awesome).  Meanwhile, in Germany, the forerunners of Nazi occultists and German engineers come up with a plan to win the war - reanimating killed German soldiers and sending them to the front.  Cue MacGuffin plot of German scientist/facility/general that needs to be killed to stop the reanimation process.   Suicide squad is prepared for the mission, and picked from prison.  Vague talk of giving the women the vote once the war is over.  Then ACTION!

It took me exactly three minutes to come up with this plot.
And that's probably how long Snyder spent thinking about the whole movie, except for the boom boom bits.