News:

Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate the fact that you're at least putting effort into sincerely arguing your points. It's an argument I've enjoyed having. It's just that your points are wrong and your reasons for thinking they're right are stupid.

Main Menu

Film Flam

Started by Dimocritus, October 15, 2009, 11:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Z³ on October 20, 2009, 11:55:40 PM
Quote from: Nigel on October 20, 2009, 11:32:46 PM
Do you ever just have a kneejerk hatred of something for no real reason? Like a color, or a dog, or a neighbor's sweater? Because that is how I feel about this thread. I was OK with it for a day or two, because I assumed it would die. Now I can see that it will never die, and I will have to look at it every time I log on here, forever, probably for the rest of my life or until civilization ends or the internet becomes obsolete.

This thread is ruining my life. I am going into my studio and using new glass that I got today and all of my beads are going to turn out like this thread.

Thread, I hate you. You are my nemesis. Until you die, I will do nothing with my life but rage, rage and plot for your downfall. I will pray for a database corruption that will erase your very existence.

DIE DIE DIE.

I will singlehandedly keep this thread alive just to spite you for your irrational ability to ignore something mildly annoying.
You can spare yourself by quitting all internets.

I HATE YOUR SWEATER
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Do you ever just have a kneejerk hatred of something for no real reason? Like a color, or a dog, or a neighbor's sweater? Because that is how I feel about this thread. I was OK with it for a day or two, because I assumed it would die. Now I can see that it will never die, and I will have to look at it every time I log on here, forever, probably for the rest of my life or until civilization ends or the internet becomes obsolete.

This thread is ruining my life. I am going into my studio and using new glass that I got today and all of my beads are going to turn out like this thread.

Thread, I hate you. You are my nemesis. Until you die, I will do nothing with my life but rage, rage and plot for your downfall. I will pray for a database corruption that will erase your very existence.

DIE DIE DIE.

I will singlehandedly keep this thread alive just to spite you for your irrational ability to ignore something mildly annoying.

I will kill you AND this thread.

Wait, scratch that, that sounds suspiciously like a threat.

I WILL KILL YOUR ENTIRE CITY, AND PISS ON THE ASHES.

There.  Now that sounds exactly like a threat.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Faust

DIE DIE DIE.

bump
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: ☂Faust☂ on October 21, 2009, 01:01:56 AM

DIE DIE DIE.

bump

:x
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Faust

I like film threads, even ones as crappy as this.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 20, 2009, 11:59:02 PM

DIE DIE DIE.

I will kill you AND this thread.

Wait, scratch that, that sounds suspiciously like a threat.

I WILL KILL YOUR ENTIRE CITY, AND PISS ON THE ASHES.

There.  Now that sounds exactly like a threat.

You'll kill my city?
Be my guest.

Quote from: ☂Faust☂ on October 21, 2009, 01:06:18 AM

I'll probably just create a new thread for talking about film, and we can let this one die.
Maybe, when I feel like it.

Dimocritus

Ohmymotherfuckinggod. Just watched this in my film as lit. class.

Bob Roberts

So Frigging Awesome.

DIE DIE DIE.

I cannot lie, this made me laugh my ass off. I'd offer an apology, but I think the situations too funny for it to be a sincere one. If it's any consolation at all, I thought it would die, too.

HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

LMNO

Speakng of which, for some reason the combination fo letters "N. I. G. E. L." makes me break out in hives, shit myself, and strangle kittens. I really wish I could never read that word agan, but there you go...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: ☂Faust☂ on October 21, 2009, 01:06:18 AM

Heeeeeee!  :lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

You are all making me laugh really hard.

But I still hate this thread.

Dimocritus

Just to aid Z³ in bringing some meat, this is a copy of a critique and analysis of the photographic elements and symbolism of the Jet-Li movie Hero that I did for class for you to read, ignore or what have you.

For my first critique I chose the movie Hero. I have watched this movie before and I was surprised at how much more I got out of it the second time through. This is the type of movie where just about anyone could say  that color was a huge representational aspect of the movie, however, what and to what degree it was representational of, I feel, would be vastly overlooked by the average audience.
   From the opening scene it was clear that almost every shot in this movie was done for more specific of a purpose than simple utility. There was almost always a hidden or deeper meaning. The first scene, in which the movies protagonist, Nameless, entered the palace of the emperor, established a huge distance between the emperor and the general citizenship of his domain. Nameless had to traverse through many doors and along narrow passages on his way to see the emperor, and even after traveling all that distance, the palace courtyard itself was huge, creating even more distance between the emperor and his people. This theme carried all the way into the emperor's chambers, even when they were in the same room there was a distance between him and Nameless. This clearly illustrated the emperor's paranoia.
   Although, there were aspects of this scene that indicated other characteristics of the emperor. For instance, there was a long shot in the courtyard that clearly was indicative of the order the emperor so much desired. Everything was lined up, nice and neat, from the throngs of priests lining the walk way to the stone stairs making countless horizontal lines. These things framed up Nameless; surrounding him in the order he fought so hard against. This theme of order was also visible in the emperor's bare chambers with the straight upright pillars. Every line was near perfectly vertical or horizontal; orderly to the highest extent.
   The colors in the palace, as well as the emperor's armor, told even more about the emperor, before he even had a chance to speak. Shades of black and grey used throughout the palace and in the emperor's armor were subdued but imposing, showing a cold, calculated intelligence. It wasn't all cold, though. The emperor's armor was gilded in small golden highlights, showing his true compassionate nature.  
   In the first fight scene, where Sky faced up against a small band of the emperor's men and then Nameless posing as one of the emperor's men, it seemed as if the color scheme from the palace was carried into the chess house by the soldiers. There were many similar colors and verticals, almost as if the soldiers were physically imposing the emperor's order on the scene itself as they tried to apprehend the assassin Sky.
   There were a few things that I found interesting about this scene, for instance: Sky wore earthly colors, greens and browns, which, at first, I thought to be a little contradictory in accordance with his name. That is, until I noticed his weapon; silver as a clear sky. I feel that this was done purposely to develop the character without the need for extended back-story. He, as indicated by his clothing (and confirmed in dialogue later in the film), is a down to earth, logical thinker; grounded in reality. It is only in combat, after his spear has been revealed, that his heavenly skills come to light. I also found the use of angles in this scene as a way to further illustrate the action. Nameless advances, as does the camera. The two square off, as does the camera. They circle one another, as does the camera, etc., all this highlighting and intensifying the action.
   The black and white sequence during this scene was interesting as well, showing the thought process behind each warrior before battle even began, mirroring the style of thought that should be present in a chess house, contemplatively looking as many moves in advance as they could. The battle itself only lasted seconds, true masters of chess. And being true masters of chess, neither warrior disturbed a single chess piece throughout the melee, which represents respect for the art of the game Go (American name for Ko: Chinese Chess, a game based on military strategy and territory).  There was so much present in this scene that it makes it difficult to accurately cover it all, from their only witness, the blind musician, to the contrast of the soft, malleable rain-drops dissipating on cold, hard steel. Each cut in this movie could support its own critique.
   The scene at the calligraphy school was very powerful, with bold reds representing power and passion, both of which were present, the former being more indicative of knowledge and wisdom as power, as opposed to sheer physical might.
   In this scene the character Flying Snow was introduced. A fitting name indeed, as she was beautiful but cold; serene but capable of destruction. Her pale skin and the muted colors of her robes are further visual support for her soft but frigid character.  
   The actions of Broken Sword during the hail of arrows showed his unending patience and calm as an extension of the wisdom he had learned through calligraphy. The grey/black arrows fired by the grey troops, shown in a long shot were oppressive clouds, each arrow a piece of the linear order that the emperor desired to impose. The peaceful pacifism of the students during battle shows that, while you may be able to impose on the body, the power of the mind is unassailable. The pot of red ink is the blood of wisdom that cannot be spilled by weapons.
   After the rain of arrows, I was treated to the only oblique angles in the movie. They were present as Broken Sword and Flying Snow betrayed one another. As their relationship loses stability the shot lost stability, sending everything around them, their world, off balance.
   The fight scene between Flying Snow and the young Moon was a beautiful scene. I noticed here the high-key lighting, which represented the intensity of the two women, both in love with the same man, engaged in an emotionally charged bout.  Moon struggles in this battle, slicing haphazardly at the untouchable leaves, in the foolhardiness of youth. Leaves (and snow) are so light and airy that it is impossible to hit them. How foolish the youth to think they could be attacked, and how hard-headed to keep up in futile actions. Snow indirectly and intangibly over came an opponent who was rigid and stubborn. The brash young Moon is no match for her cold, calculated opponent. The yellow leaves of innocence change to a deep blood red as Moon dies, showing that she had only came to wisdom (power) only in death.
   As the emperor begins to unravel the lies of Nameless, the film changes to shades of blue. While this scene is not the outright truth, the blue represents the insight of a sage in the emperor's deduction. Cool, logical calculations had lead to his take on the events. At the beginning of this interpretation of events, the characters are diffused by a bamboo curtain in a dream-like haze, showing that we haven't quite come to the actual truth of the situation.
   In the duel against Flying Snow, Nameless hesitates as he realizes that, perhaps, he may be wrong. The words of Broken Sword stick with him giving him doubt. In the end, Broken Sword must confront Nameless (who's one-time heroism has faded into blacks and grays, he is beginning to resemble even more what he wishes to destroy) and they do so over a beautiful lake. The pagoda where the body of Flying Snow is placed is the only thing covered in green mosses and vines, representing new life in death. This scene exemplifies the subtleties of battle. Force is not favored; smoothness of motion and the amorphous qualities of water are deemed most important in battle. The water is barely affected by the lightness of each action. More so, the water is mirrored in the eyes of Flying Snow as tears, which is all that battle begets. In the end, Nameless chooses to walk away, perhaps a further indication of his growing doubt in his own plans.
   The green scene, in which the story of Broken Sword and Flying Snow's first failed attempt on the emperor's life, is chronologically the first scene of the story, thus the green scheme, showing their once youthful and naïve personalities, including even that of the emperor. The time slows as the flowing drapes fall to the ground as Broken Sword realizes the truth of the situation: the death of the emperor will not make peace. He learns this in one second that seems to slow to a near stop, showing the quickness of thought.
   In the end, real truth, as opposed to the assumed truth of the emperor's deductions, is represented with white, as real truth is pure and not altered to suit the tastes of the individual. Each rebel character in this story is destroyed by what they love; the love of ones land, the love of another, and the love of truth. They gave everything they had for the future, and where Nameless once stood, there were no arrows, signifying peace brought on by his sacrifice.
   Upon viewing this movie a second time, I realized one thing that I had vastly overlooked; the character of Moon. My initial thoughts of this character during my first viewing were thoughts of her being tacked on and unnecessary. How wrong was I? After a second, more in depth analysis, I came to realize that, in many ways, this movie was about and circled around her.
   Moon, in this film, represents youth. This is indicated in many ways through out the film. For instance, on the pommel of her sword was a circular ring; an empty circle that represented the new moon, the first phase in the moons cycles- the youngest form, empty and waiting to be filled with experience and knowledge. Her youthfulness was highlighted further in the calligraphy scene by the pink, silk sheets that enveloped her; soft, radiant and still naïve in her girlish fantasies and outlook on relationships. And furthermore it was emphasized in the fight scene between her and Flying Snow, which I had indicated earlier on.
   Moon, representing the youth, therefore represents the future. It is for her that every character gave their life for, so that the future generations may see peace in their land. Therefore, being the end result and motivation, I feel that it could be said that this was her story as much as it was Nameless's.
   All in all, this film is a shining example of most photographic elements and the extent at which they can be implemented. While the outwardly over-implemented color schemes seem initially patronizing, they each have a much fuller and deeper purpose than what is easily ascertained by the viewer, which makes this film graspable by the easy going film fan as well as capable of maintaining the interest of the more astute observer. Simply put, it can be enjoyed for fun as well as its intellectual value.
   As far as whether or not this will be deemed a classic in the future, that is difficult to say. While I hope that this film will be enjoyed generations from now as I myself had enjoyed it, the trends in Hollywood and their effect on the American audiences may destroy all chances, having such a beautiful film overlooked in favor of simplistic sex, explosions, and candy-coated CGI visuals. One can only wait and see as the tastes of the American public either regress or advance. In my eyes, however, this film may very well preserve its importance in twenty years in classes such as this and beyond to future audiences that have learned to avoid the mere placation present in modern Hollywood films.  

HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

LMNO

tl;fu

Too long; fuck you

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

STOP RUINING MY LIFE WITH THIS THREAD

FOR FUCK'S SAKE, MAKE IT GO AWAY

I CAN'T EVEN THINK WITH THIS THREAD AROUND

IT FOGS MY MIND WITH HATE.

Quote from: Nigel on October 21, 2009, 10:48:30 PM
STOP RUINING MY LIFE WITH THIS THREAD

FOR FUCK'S SAKE, MAKE IT GO AWAY

I CAN'T EVEN THINK WITH THIS THREAD AROUND

IT FOGS MY MIND WITH HATE.

I don't think this thread is your problem.